Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
Watch Out For Snakes!
badge
I stand only to defend my own and reclaim what is ours.
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in another online discussion:

Quote:
So my girlfriend and I was playing and I managed to put a Fairy Fountain on one of her rooms. She then used the Wreck Room to destroy that room. Is that possible, or is it treated like a Freeze card where you cant do anything to that room and it's competently deactivated. Follow up question just it case it might happen, could you build over it lets say I play "Wild Monster".

My initial response:
Quote:
Initially in Boss Monster (1), a spell effect was in play until the end of the round, only able to be stopped at the moment of casting by the Counterspell card.

Boss Monster 2 may have some advanced rules in the works.

I think using an effect to destroy the room in question is a valid strategy. Wreck Room, Bottomless Pit and Boulder Ramp would be good examples of cards that destroy the affected room, thus negating the spell itself. I can't find anything that says a spell in play has to remain in play if the affected room is destroyed, nor that the affected room is considered 'locked' due to the spell effect.

As for the follow-up: I'm not entirely sure if that would be possible, but I can't see anything that says anything contrary to it.

The only thing I've seen is that it's unclear if the newly built room would deal damage to a hero within the room if they happen to be in it when the change comes.

Now I'm thinking it all over again, I came here to see what other Boss Monster people think: CAN a room-destroying action (Wrecking Room/Boulder Ramp) be used to counter a spell-affected room? I can only think of this as being beneficial for the types of rooms where the Hero is immediately killed as well, like Bottomless Pit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
BThayer wrote:
This came up in another online discussion:

Quote:
So my girlfriend and I was playing and I managed to put a Fairy Fountain on one of her rooms. She then used the Wreck Room to destroy that room. Is that possible, or is it treated like a Freeze card where you cant do anything to that room and it's competently deactivated. Follow up question just it case it might happen, could you build over it lets say I play "Wild Monster".

My initial response:
Quote:
Initially in Boss Monster (1), a spell effect was in play until the end of the round, only able to be stopped at the moment of casting by the Counterspell card.

Boss Monster 2 may have some advanced rules in the works.

I think using an effect to destroy the room in question is a valid strategy. Wreck Room, Bottomless Pit and Boulder Ramp would be good examples of cards that destroy the affected room, thus negating the spell itself. I can't find anything that says a spell in play has to remain in play if the affected room is destroyed, nor that the affected room is considered 'locked' due to the spell effect.

As for the follow-up: I'm not entirely sure if that would be possible, but I can't see anything that says anything contrary to it.

The only thing I've seen is that it's unclear if the newly built room would deal damage to a hero within the room if they happen to be in it when the change comes.

Now I'm thinking it all over again, I came here to see what other Boss Monster people think: CAN a room-destroying action (Wrecking Room/Boulder Ramp) be used to counter a spell-affected room? I can only think of this as being beneficial for the types of rooms where the Hero is immediately killed as well, like Bottomless Pit.

The destruction of the room doesn't counter the casting of the spell per se. It destroys the affected room, taking the spell effect with it. They are able to do this and it would kill the spell effect, so any room underneath that was revealed will not be affected by fairy fountain, nor would any new room placed their be affected.
That said, the player who cast fairy fountain succeeded in getting rid of that room entirely,which is a much better result in pretty much any situation other than the next hero to get processed would win them the game and would only make it through if they were healed by 1 heart.

As far as what happens with heroes in a room that is affected by a spell or ability. If they were in the room when that spell or ability was used, they ignore the effects of it. If you want the effect to happen to that hero it needs to be done before they enter the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
Watch Out For Snakes!
badge
I stand only to defend my own and reclaim what is ours.
mbmbmbmbmb
So is a spell-affected room considered "locked" meaning you cannot use any of the effects of that room while under the spell for that round?

Fairy Fountain just says the affected room does no damage (and gives the hero +1 HP), but it doesn't say anything about negating triggered events, which would lead me to believe that someone could activate a Bottomless Pit if FF was assigned to it thus negating the spell itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.