Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
Just a noob question. I have the base version of the game (no Kick).
What expansions are better to get for Massive Darkness, and what are better to avoid (...at all costs...) or just to postpone for later, when the game is played a lot and it's time to inject more replayability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Weber
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My general advice is the same as for other games: Play the base game first before you decide which expansions to get. After playing the game a few times, you can make an informed decision and pick the expansion that is right for you.
If you feel there are not enough different types of mobs, get one of the enemy boxes.
If you feel there are not enough heroes to choose from or if you would like to try another class, get one of the hero boxes.
None of the expansions is "essential", they just add more variety for different aspects of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try browsing the threads in the MD general forum too. There's been lots of great advise on which expansions are best in general that would apply to your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to get the Trogs, Reptisaurians or Ratlings first.
They add both more mobs, and a Roaming monster each. That will add some variety to the most encounters with the least amount of effort.

For the best bang for your buck, I'd grab an Enemy Box and a Hero Box.
This will give you three more heroes, another class, another set of mobs, and 2 roaming monsters.

I find having around 9 or 10 roamers is enough for quite a number of sessions before needing more. The mobs however, because you encounter them often, need more variety in their ranks the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! After many playthroughs, and I mention this very overtly in my review, Massive Darkness's main variance in gameplay comes from roaming monsters. Most all Mobs act the same and all Agents do as well. Also, mobs are killed very quickly more often than not, so spawning them for 1-2 turns is not a big deal variety wise.

Roaming Monsters, especially the non core box versions all act very differently and spice up the gameplay. Therefor I would suggest looking at each Roaming Monster and determining which mechanics you think are the most interesting.

Additionally, a close second is character classes (not heroes themselves). Heroes are marginally different but some classes really change things up. For instance, the class that comes in the Spearmaiden box inverts the light/shadow skills so you actually work better in the light. If paired with say a melee character you are now fighting monsters in the light where they are debuffed and you are buffed. That's quite the change!

So look into the classes and the RMs and see which you think is best in that regard. Mobs and Agents are nice variance in what you are spawning, but in the end add very little "depth" to the game.

Edit: I would say that for longevity's sake, getting more RM's than the 6 in the core set is almost a must. Even going through the campaign you will very quickly see the same RM's pop up over, and over, and over again. Even a couple more would vastly help add more differentiation between playthroughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with Ghool that adding more enemy boxes first is probably the best way to go. I would suggest the Ratlings first, then the Reptisaurians. The reason being they have range mobs which the core game is sorely lacking with only the Goblin Archers as range.

While the Roaming Monsters are more varied, you just don't see them near as much as the mobs. That and the enemy boxes include a roaming monster themselves. The hero boxes are also nice since they include 3 new heroes, a new class, and a roaming monster themselves. However, you can print the class sheets out online pretty easily to try them out first if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for advices! Looks like now I have a solid understanding how to choose the expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.