Subject: Gift of Power rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Reeser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, everyone! I've seen the Minor Power "Gift of Power" come up in two games now, and I have a question. (I already checked the FAQ, but didn't see it addressed there.) Gift of Power reads "Target Spirit gains a Minor Power." When you use it, does the targeted Spirit: a.) just take the top card of the Minor Power deck and keep it, or b.) draw the top four cards and keep one, as with the "Gain a Power Card" portion of Growth?

I've been playing it as the former; my reasoning is that if the latter were the intent, the card would read "Target Spirit gains a Minor Power Card". (I've noticed that the rules and cards for this game seem to worded very precisely.) Furthering this view is that the Major Power "Entwined Power", as part of its effect, specifies that "Target Spirit gains a Power Card. You gain one of the Power Cards they did not keep."*--in other words, it does specify "Power Card", while Gift of Power doesn't.

On the other hand, it's possible that interpretation b.) is correct--in which case I'm just making things more difficult for myself in automatically taking the first card that comes up, instead of choosing the best card out of four. So which is the correct way to play the card?

*On another note, suppose I use Entwined Power in a solo game. Would I get to keep two of the four Power Cards I just drew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maggie C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Hi Kyle! Maggie here with Greater than Games. For the first part of your question about Gift of Power it is option B. You were making things a bit more difficult for yourself by doing option A.

For the second part of your question about Entwined Power during solo play, yes you would be keeping two of the four cards drawn.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right that the wording is quite precise, but there isn't a distinction between "gaining a Power" and "gaining a Power Card". The rulebook refers to "gaining a Power Card", and that would indeed be better wording there. If you ever get a Power in a non-standard way, it's spelled out much more explicitly on the card. Eg, Unlock the Gates of Deepest Power from Branch&Claw has such an effect: https://sick.oberien.de/?query=unlock%20the%20gates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Reeser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies!

Man, Gift of Power is really useful if you can get it early. (Unlock the Gates of Deepest Power also looks amazing; just one more reason to get a copy of "Branch & Claw", once it's available again.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You're very right that things are usually precise! (Though we don't catch everything.)

In this case, the phrase "Gain a Power" means a particular thing. If there were Minor Powers that weren't Cards, the distinction between "Gain a Minor Power" and "Gain a Minor Power Card" would be relevant, but that's not the case, so they effectively mean the same thing.

An effect like your (a) would likely be worded something like one of these:

* "Add the top card of the Minor Power deck to your hand"
* "Take the top card of the Minor Power deck"
* "Gain the top card of the Minor Power deck"

I might try to avoid using "Gain", since that implies "Draw some, keep 1", and effects which modify that process wouldn't make much sense when applied to a singleton draw? But that might not be a big deal, so I might stick with Gain for consistency's sake, and so that it'd trigger (currently nonexistent but hypothetically possible) effects like "Whenever you gain a Power Card, do 1 Damage to a Town/City in one of your lands". I haven't actually had to decide yet. :-)

And yes, Gift of Power can be super-useful in early game - particularly for helping Spirits that have a tricky time getting lots of Power Cards through Growth - but it gains its long-term effectiveness at the cost of some short-term effectiveness (since you're not choosing/playing an offensive or defensive power).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Reeser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
darker wrote:
An effect like your (a) would likely be worded something like one of these:

* "Add the top card of the Minor Power deck to your hand"
* "Take the top card of the Minor Power deck"
* "Gain the top card of the Minor Power deck"

That's a really good point; I hadn't thought about it that way.

darker wrote:
And yes, Gift of Power can be super-useful in early game - particularly for helping Spirits that have a tricky time getting lots of Power Cards through Growth - but it gains its long-term effectiveness at the cost of some short-term effectiveness (since you're not choosing/playing an offensive or defensive power).

True--but that seems to be the nature of your (rather excellent) game
Every situation is different, of course, but my experience so far is that it's often better to forego some immediate gains in the current turn so as to set up greater gains in future ones. The tricky part, I find, is striking that balance between doing something effective now and doing something effective later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.