Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it looks like the deluxe edition is a re-make of a prior release (maybe 2010 i think)...so, was there a 2016 release and then also a 2016 "deluxe" release, and if so how do they differ?

and what makes the 2016 "deluxe" that much different from the orig? (other than it seems to be a little easier)...are the deluxe components a major upgrade over any/all prior editions, or is it now deluxe because they've changed the rules some?

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gannon Dubay
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I like big boxes and I can not lie.
badge
Rochester, NY - Willing to Play!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are very different. It's not just some minor tweaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaGannondorf wrote:
The rules are very different. It's not just some minor tweaks.
are the components basically the same, or are the deluxe components an "upgrade" over 2010?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the original 2010 version, but the components of the new edition are outstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and...as i try and decide between this and Viticulture EE i really can't figure out why Vinhos has 2 downloads avail; 1 is the rules and the 2nd is the ref book (which seems about the same as the rules)??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Davis
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
it looks like the deluxe edition is a re-make of a prior release (maybe 2010 i think)...so, was there a 2016 release and then also a 2016 "deluxe" release, and if so how do they differ?

and what makes the 2016 "deluxe" that much different from the orig? (other than it seems to be a little easier)...are the deluxe components a major upgrade over any/all prior editions, or is it now deluxe because they've changed the rules some?

thanks...

There is only one 2016 release, but there is a kickstarter and non-kickstarter version. I think the only difference on the KS version is the inclusion of 4 mini-expansions (which can easily be purchased separately).

I believe the deluxe is in reference to it being compared to the 2010 version. The 2016 version is a total face lift from the 2010 version. It brings the game in line with the art, box size, and components of The Gallerist and Lisboa. The rules are streamlined and a fairly significant mechanic, the bank, has been removed. Apparently the bank was a confusing aspect to a lot of people (I really liked that part), but thematically speaking, seemed tacked on. The 2016 version contains the entire 2010 game as well (back side of board).

Edit:
Viticulture and Vinhos are absolutely different games. Viticulture is far simpler and requires Tuscany to approach the depth of Vinhos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
and...as i try and decide between this and Viticulture EE i really can't figure out why Vinhos has 2 downloads avail; 1 is the rules and the 2nd is the ref book (which seems about the same as the rules)??

No, the rulebook you use to learn the rules. The reference book is to lookup various specific bits of info. You need both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Schröder
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
"The game is out there, and it's either play, or get played. That simple." (Omar)
badge
"The game is out there, and it's either play, or get played. That simple." (Omar)
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

The 2016 Deluce Edition is not only a visual makeover but new version of the same game with two different variants: The original gameplay with minor rules improvements and a new - one could say streamlined, I call it improved - variant where the game is reduced by one major action and therefor by a significant complexity level.

John_VW wrote:

I for myself want to play the 2016 reserve variant because for me is is the better game. It delivers the same feeling but in two-thirds of the time.
But I know friends who bet to differ ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the original and sold it to "upgrade" to the deluxe edition. First off, the component quality is a very large step up with every piece being much thicker, sturdier and more solid. It is another clear example of EGG's "over production" where just making the components good isn't enough. So there's that.

Second, you are getting a slightly tweaked 2010 version of the game on one side of the board, and a reworked 2016 version which is quite different. So you are getting two versions of the game. I still prefer the 2010 version, but my wife says she likes the 2016 better.

Off the top of my head, the 2010 version has a slight change during the opening/set-up regarding starting money and turn order. The other change is a new region added which introduces farmers who increase your production value.

The 2016 version eliminates the bank and investment track completely and replaces that spot on the action spaces with a second "buy vineyard" space. This means everything is now done in cash and money is nowhere near as tight as the 2010 version where timing your banking moves is critical. In 2016, players start with only two barrels instead of ALL of them, and the other barrels must be gained by appeasing the needs of the magnates. This means barrel management is more the focus of 2016 as opposed to money/banking management.

Finally, because wine magnates now grant you more barrels, rather than bonus actions, the whole gainging and using of bonus actions and end game bonuses works completely different. These are now tiles you discard a wine to collect, but then can be used repeatedly throughout the game (with some limitations of course) which definitely changes the dynamics of the game.

The 2016 version has other rule changes as well related to starting turns/set-up, farmers can be hired by everyone but are free with the new region, barrels are returned from the sales spot automatically each round, the wine fair is totally different and much simpler/streamlined, the export action has been slightly changed so you now get points based on the wine you send rather than the row you use, and little things like how much you can buy/sell/export each action is different as well. So the changes are fairly significant between 2010 and 2016 while still maintaining the same feel and concept of the game.

As I've already said, the game shifts from being about tight money management to tight barrel management. It feels like you can now buy and produce way more (2016 has 5 spots for estates instead of 4), but how you use that wine is now more focused. I've seen people run out of barrels early on and then struggle to do what they want to do because they have to plan more around the supply constraints than they expected.

All this is just the basic differences of the deluxe edition and comparing 2010 to 2016 versions of the new game. If you are getting the "deluxe" version with all the kickstarted bonuses then you get a ton of even more great content to add more variety and tactics to the game. You get two new island regions which are substituted in place of two of the regular regions. Each new region has their own special bonuses and abilities. You get a ton of new wine manager tiles with interesting abilities and various ways these are added into the game. You get special new cellar tiles which are more expensive to produce better wine values, double vineyard/winery tiles which are also more expensive and better than the standard tiles, but cheaper/not as good as buying two standard tiles to fill the same space. You also get the ability to add new tourists into the game if you chose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.