BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: One for the Anti-Clintonites rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/367141-congressio...

Inspector General Report yet to come out, but the Repubs in Congress are claiming "irregularities" in the FBI handling of the Clinton email investigation.

It will be interesting to read the Inspector General Report when it comes out, I suspect it will be "less biased" than the Repubs conclusions. They may indeed find that the investigation was handled poorly. But I think, in the end, Comeys conclusion may prove to be right, namely;

“Although there is evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case,” Comey said.

But it is interesting to note that the Repubs are still focusing on this, an event that occurred in the now defunct Obama presidency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
there are several elements to this beyond going after Clinton.

1) there are legitimate questions on how impartial Senior FBI leadership is/was that still have yet to be answered, and any uncertainty here helps advance that narrative and how it aligns with the Russian collusion probe.

2) Scoring points against Democrats - lets not forget that Politics is still a bloodsport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:

1) there are legitimate questions on how impartial Senior FBI leadership is/was that still have yet to be answered, and any uncertainty here helps advance that narrative and how it aligns with the Russian collusion probe.

2) Scoring points against Democrats - lets not forget that Politics is still a bloodsport.

I might tend to agree with you, if any of the people in place at the time were involved in the collusion probe. But Trump fired the main one, Comey. Mueller is a Republican, who hired some people that supported Clinton via donations, and suddenly The Repubs are all over that, as if that is conclusive evidence of a biased probe.

And yes, politics is definitely a bloodsport, but at what point do the Repubs pick up their ball, realize that there is nothing much to be gained here, and go home. Will Trump still be talking about this in 2020?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:

This is third world dictator politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

This is third world dictator politics.

Pretty much all thirds world countries have a small clique of billionaire kleptocrats who don't give a shit about anyone else. Trump heaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:

It's wasted political capital. Serious, will anything come beyond "Yes, it was illegal, but we're not going to do anything?"

Should something more come of it? Likely. When a small fish gets caught doing something similar, they get demoted, fired, or prosecuted. So yes, something more should happen. Maybe.... MAYBE.... something comes up in the "the cover-up is worse than the crime" category, but I doubt it.

Here's the thing though. I've not heard word one about updating security policies, protocol or (most importantly) infrastructure. The reason that workaround was tried was because of how archaic those were compared to how immediate the access needed was. But nothing is being put forward to update it. It's simply being used as a cudgel. And if it's worth prosecuting someone, then it should also be worth fixing the problem so future officials don't find themselves having to do these sorts of things just to stay in touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

It's wasted political capital. Serious, will anything come beyond "Yes, it was illegal, but we're not going to do anything?"

Should something more come of it? Likely. When a small fish gets caught doing something similar, they get demoted, fired, or prosecuted. So yes, something more should happen. Maybe.... MAYBE.... something comes up in the "the cover-up is worse than the crime" category, but I doubt it.

Here's the thing though. I've not heard word one about updating security policies, protocol or (most importantly) infrastructure. The reason that workaround was tried was because of how archaic those were compared to how immediate the access needed was. But nothing is being put forward to update it. It's simply being used as a cudgel. And if it's worth prosecuting someone, then it should also be worth fixing the problem so future officials don't find themselves having to do these sorts of things just to stay in touch.

I agree with your stance, but Trumps cronies have already been found to be doing pretty much the same thing Clinton did, so it is being slightly hypocritical to prosecute her, if they don't then agree to prosecute his cronies. Combined this with the inability of Trump to even admit that Russia was involved in election tampering (which is not computer email issue per se, but nonetheless technology related), and you have a recipe in which nothing gets done, to secure either classified information, or prevent voter fraud from potentially happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Will Trump still be talking about this in 2020?

I feel certain he will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
I agree with your stance, but Trumps cronies have already been found to be doing pretty much the same thing Clinton did, so it is being slightly hypocritical to prosecute her, if they don't then agree to prosecute his cronies. Combined this with the inability of Trump to even admit that Russia was involved in election tampering (which is not computer email issue per se, but nonetheless technology related), and you have a recipe in which nothing gets done, to secure either classified information, or prevent voter fraud from potentially happening.

100% agree with you on this.

Like I said before, right, wrong, accurate or false - as long as damage is done to the Dem brand its a win.

and I should be clear, I am not agreeing with the approach - only providing context on why it is being done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
dkearns wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
Will Trump still be talking about this in 2020?

I feel certain he will.

I don't know why when he has best health care coverage bill, bst tax reform ever , a glorious wall to campaign on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.