Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » General

Subject: Will we get another expansion for this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really enjoying it, more than I thought I would.

My group is about to tackle the expansion, but I would really love for another expansion after Monster Box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see more player choices
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Bunzel
Germany
Düsseldorf
North-Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I could amagine one. I think we get one with Ginny as a hero, so that we have the golden and silver trio as Heroes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think where I would be worried about an expansion is that, with Monster Box, the game has issues where you can go a long time without seeing and cards with dice or a long time without seeing cards that remove control or a long time without seeing cards with banish abilities. If an expansion adds yet another mechanic to the game, the Hogwarts deck becomes even larger. I think you risk the game becoming even more swingy and having to juggle too many mechanics at once, unless you introduce some new rules that alter how the market works.

Similarly, I think at this point all the major villains/creatures are in the game and you'll have to dig into some really minor or obscure characters in order to add more bad guys to the game. Does Pansy Parkinson really deserve her own villain card? Barty Crouch Sr. is the only major character who isn't in the game who might qualify as a villain.

So that sort of leaves Characters and Proficiencies. Character wise, I think Ginny & Fred/George are the students significant enough to warrant a character. Although having Dumbledore's Army as a "character" might be interesting. For Proficienceies, Muggle Studies is the only class I can think of that doesn't have a card. I'm not sure how you can add more options here and still stay thematic.

An idea I did have at one point was to create an "Adventures" deck that would run parallel to the other mechanics. It could cover some of the minor events in the story like "Sneak out to Hogmeade" or "Steal the Flying Ford" or "Win the Quiddich Match." By meeting some kind of requirement, the heroes would get some kind of one time reward. So it was a similar idea to encounters, but maybe less impactful. Never thought it through very far because work/school took over my life at that point.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game and agree with David's point. There is room for expansions, but not if they make the already long game longer.

Some sort of smaller deck with a "quest" adventures mechanic could be really cool but possibly very fiddly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LSUtigers wrote:
I love the game and agree with David's point. There is room for expansions, but not if they make the already long game longer.

Some sort of smaller deck with a "quest" adventures mechanic could be really cool but possibly very fiddly.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
I really enjoyed the Horrorcrux sidequest.


I would love if they introduce more of that.

I'd even like some sort of legacy style, where you make small changes to opening hand cards, or to your player card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a stand alone Fantastic Beasts expansion?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
How about a stand alone Fantastic Beasts expansion?


I wouldn't expect to see something like that till we are at least three movies into it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
insightfulstrike wrote:
LSUtigers wrote:
I love the game and agree with David's point. There is room for expansions, but not if they make the already long game longer.

Some sort of smaller deck with a "quest" adventures mechanic could be really cool but possibly very fiddly.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
I really enjoyed the Horrorcrux sidequest.


I would love if they introduce more of that.

I'd even like some sort of legacy style, where you make small changes to opening hand cards, or to your player card.


I like this idea. Maybe even a recreation of the first 7 boxes where depending on how well you do you keep extra cards.

But it seems almost impossible to make the difficulty scale with that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
if they do do another expansion, I hope it does something other than just "add these cards to the already huge Hogwarts Deck"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
insightfulstrike wrote:
I'd even like some sort of legacy style, where you make small changes to opening hand cards, or to your player card.

I find this interesting, because I hate the idea of "legacy", right down to the marrow of my bones. I believe I should be able to hand a great game down to my children for them to play even after I am gone. And I can't shake the suspicion that legacy is a scam to sell more games.

Different strokes for different folks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
I find this interesting, because I hate the idea of "legacy", right down to the marrow of my bones. I believe I should be able to hand a great game down to my children for them to play even after I am gone. And I can't shake the suspicion that legacy is a scam to sell more games.


I think what Dean is suggesting is closer to a campaign style game than a legacy game. Legacy games typically require you to alter or destroy components, but something where you have different start cards in your hand as you go from game to game would still allow you to "reset" your game to its purchased state.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but most games in my gaming group don't get more than five or six plays. Completing a 10-12 session legacy game wouldn't sell more games, but it would be a major accomplishment for us.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
insightfulstrike wrote:
I'd even like some sort of legacy style, where you make small changes to opening hand cards, or to your player card.

I find this interesting, because I hate the idea of "legacy", right down to the marrow of my bones. I believe I should be able to hand a great game down to my children for them to play even after I am gone. And I can't shake the suspicion that legacy is a scam to sell more games.

Different strokes for different folks.


You could go the route of Mystic Vale, where cards get sleeved, but add different values to the cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
insightfulstrike wrote:
n815e wrote:
How about a stand alone Fantastic Beasts expansion?


I wouldn't expect to see something like that till we are at least three movies into it.


I can tell that you, my friend, don't work in merchandising. :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
I can tell that you, my friend, don't work in merchandising. :-)


While this is a fair point, what I can tell you is that making a Magical Beasts expansion would require a new licensing agreement that Monster Box probably did not. USAO likely needs to evaluate the ROI on the first expansion before making a decision like this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Grahamers2002 wrote:
I can tell that you, my friend, don't work in merchandising. :-)


While this is a fair point, what I can tell you is that making a Magical Beasts expansion would require a new licensing agreement that Monster Box probably did not. USAO likely needs to evaluate the ROI on the first expansion before making a decision like this.


Could you provide a citation to the original licensing agreement you used to make this evaluation? Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
Could you provide a citation to the original licensing agreement you used to make this evaluation? Thanks!


Not really. I've had some conversation with Kami and somebody else in customer service about the licencing issues surrounding this game. I deleted those emails as a safety precaution because I was bound by an NDA at the time, and I don't think I would post them anyway if I weren't. But the primary point is that the licence from WB is extremely strict and protective. What I can tell you just from general knowledge of licensing issues is that it is typically not enough to just get a licence agreement from a studio. You also have to get permission from the actors to use their likeness. (For example, this is why you don't see Harry Mudd in any Star Trek games. The actor's wife no longer wants anyone using pictures of her husband.) If you look through your Monster Box cards, only six of them use actor images while the rest are custom art or CGI characters. These rights would be very cheap for USAO to acquire if they didn't already have them from the base game. In contrast, A Fantastic Beasts expansion would, at the least, require paying likeness royalties to a completely different set of actors, and A-list actors at that. You're talking about a significantly larger capital outlay here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Grahamers2002 wrote:
Could you provide a citation to the original licensing agreement you used to make this evaluation? Thanks!


Not really. I've had some conversation with Kami and somebody else in customer service about the licencing issues surrounding this game. I deleted those emails as a safety precaution because I was bound by an NDA at the time, and I don't think I would post them anyway if I weren't. But the primary point is that the licence from WB is extremely strict and protective. What I can tell you just from general knowledge of licensing issues is that it is typically not enough to just get a licence agreement from a studio. You also have to get permission from the actors to use their likeness. (For example, this is why you don't see Harry Mudd in any Star Trek games. The actor's wife no longer wants anyone using pictures of her husband.) If you look through your Monster Box cards, only six of them use actor images while the rest are custom art or CGI characters. These rights would be very cheap for USAO to acquire if they didn't already have them from the base game. In contrast, A Fantastic Beasts expansion would, at the least, require paying likeness royalties to a completely different set of actors, and A-list actors at that. You're talking about a significantly larger capital outlay here.


Thanks for the response. Too bad the details of that agreement aren't public. Your comments about the likeness issue reminded me of this video:

http://n4g.com/news/2048901/7-times-movie-games-couldnt-use-...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jankowski
msg tools
I have been working on a Cursed Child expansion in the variants section. Right now it is only ideas and brainstorming.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Temple
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I would spend a week in Azkaban for a Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes expansion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.