Alchemists» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Theories all right rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Bayuk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How often do you get to the end of the game and find some of the theories to be incorrect? For my group, they are never wrong by the end of the game. I am thinking we might be publishing quickly enough or aggressively enough. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get decent enough at the game, you probably won't have many games with incorrect theories published. Publishing early and hedging is good so you can debunk later and get more points.

I played on the weekend and all of our early guesses were correct, so there was no debunking. Usually there is at least some debunking though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also it depends on what variants you are playing (i.e. Master vs Apprentice, expansion modules). Master punishes players for not publishing at least twice by round 3, and generally you won't have the knowledge and resources to do that without at least a 50/50 guess from each player. Similar to Mike B's experience, in my games the end game is typically all correct, but there are usually several debunks along the way.

I've had a few games that went "full circle" though. Based on our experiences and quality of players, each of us assumed the others were publishing correctly and using that knowledge to publish ourselves. It turned out an early publish was incorrect, and it had a domino effect where everyone wound up publishing incorrectly, and getting very surprised in the last round during potion sales and exhibitions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always make 1 clerical error. Not some deductive mistake, but crossing off the wrong column because I confused a color on my sheet. But I usually find it during the play when something doesn't match up and never at the end of game reveal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
I almost always make 1 clerical error. Not some deductive mistake, but crossing off the wrong column because I confused a color on my sheet. But I usually find it during the play when something doesn't match up and never at the end of game reveal.

I often have to beg for another sheet and start over based on what I have in my pyramid. It is embarassing. One game I was a little too inebriated and I had to beg new sheets THREE times. Sad thing is that I actually won that game. It annoyed me because the trouble I put the other players through made me feel very undeserving, heh.

As almost always, I was also the teacher of that game. Do as I say, not as I do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty often i have at least the correct answer of 6-7 ingredients, and sometimes all of them.

As others said, after you get good at the game, the deduction isnt a problem anymore and you can focus more on the overall worker placement area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alluvian wrote:

I often have to beg for another sheet and start over based on what I have in my pyramid.

Off topic from OP, but there are some customized sheets people posted in the files section. I printed out 4 copies and laminated them, and then tossed a few dry erase markers in my box, which has worked out well. The original impetus was that he colors and icons were slightly clearer on the custom sheets, which was needed since we sometimes play in areas without great lighting (e.g. our local bars host board game sessions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am definitely going to be making my own, but don't want dry erase, way too easy to accidentally erase stuff.

The ones that come with the game are way too low contrast / washed out and hard to see in low light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Trimble
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I've played probably ~20 games of Alchemists by now, apprentice and master mode, with and without each element of the King's Golem expansion, and with lots of different people. I would say that we get everything right at least 50% of the time, and all but two right around 90% of the time. When I play with only experienced players (which isn't often), we tend to get gutsy with our publications, because we know how the odds work.

I remember one game where I rushed a publication first round (I used a custodian to get in a single preliminary experiment) and just prayed. It lead my friends to spend lots of time trying to debunk my one-off theory, and they weren't able to publish with as much certainty because I'd already "messed up" the board (actually, my one-off turned out to be right).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frideology wrote:
I remember one game where I rushed a publication first round (I used a custodian to get in a single preliminary experiment) and just prayed. It lead my friends to spend lots of time trying to debunk my one-off theory, and they weren't able to publish with as much certainty because I'd already "messed up" the board (actually, my one-off turned out to be right).

First round? I thought you could only publish in Round 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.