Subject: Am I allowed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Raymond
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys. I'm not the biggest fan of RISK, but I've heard really good things about RISK Legacy. Do you think this contract I signed circa 2009 on a pizza box applies to RISK Legacy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'd say the contract applies and that you're allowed to play. But there is a price that you must pay first.... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Toupee wrote:
Hey guys. I'm not the biggest fan of RISK, but I've heard really good things about RISK Legacy. Do you think this contract I signed circa 2009 on a pizza box applies to RISK Legacy?

I would say that the wording is vague enough to go either way. Also, the wording of the penalty could be taken to apply only once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
I'd say the contract applies and that you're allowed to play. But there is a price that you must pay first.... devil

Take the insert out of the box and immediately open what you find beneath as penalty for breach of contract...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Risk Legacy is fun enough that it is worth taking the penalty, at least if the penalty applies to one campaign rather than one game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Life is not a game - games are life.
badge
You learn more about a person in an hour of gaming than you do in a year of conversation.
mbmbmbmbmb
The geeks have spoken, Justin.

Risk Legacy is still Risk and a contract is still a contract.

It does look like you could get out of multiple punches due to a technicality, however.

I know these guys that signed it with you, though, so you might want to get a lawyer.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you be subject to the contract if you played Risky Business? Triskelion? Of course not. The contract is very clear on "the devil's game otherwise known as RISK". That's game #181 in the database. This is game #105134, which like the examples above is a superset of the title of the devil's game but, critically, is not that game. If necessary, go find one of the overseas "Risiko" titles.

Slightly more seriously, the single best change that various modern Risk variants have done versus the base game is to fix the game end condition. Risk games that can end by-the-rules (as opposed to just by-a-table-flip) in an hour are fundamentally different from the devil's game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Life is not a game - games are life.
badge
You learn more about a person in an hour of gaming than you do in a year of conversation.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you hire Stephen as your lawyer. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Contract fails for want of consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Wright
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
That's just the initial form of the contract. Over time it can of course be modified using stickers, pens and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.