Mechwarrior: Dark Age» Forums » General

Subject: Vehicle dials and how to turn them rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary K
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I had a collection of mechs, vehicles and infantry for years, and recently wanted to try a game. While the mech's dial spun easily, and I used the turn-ring for the infantry dial; the vehicle dial was nearly frozen in place. I resorted to using a dull butter knife to get the dial to rotate. I gave up on my finger nails! Not the best way to do this, and I think the dial will break with too much force. Does anyone have any clues as to the correct way to get the vehicle dial to spin easily?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
A thumbnail always seemed like the best option. Some will work with those old turning rings that used to be included in the starter sets, if you can find one.

If the dial is particularly tight, sometimes taking it apart and putting it back together can help. The plastic will flex just enough that you should be able pop the entire dial out without too much difficulty. They all have a cutout/tab area at some point on the base where it's easier to pull up the edge just enough to get started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pop off the dial and inside it, near the edge, there is a little notch. It looks like a speed bump. With an exacto knife, shave that notch down. The dial should turn without issue after that. It will not click anymore, but will turn easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that in particularly "sticky" cases it's often helpful to pry the dial apart and then lightly sand the edges of the interior disc to make it easier to rotate. Be careful not to over-do it as you can make the dial too small to stay firmly inside the frame (e.g. it can fall out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary K
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
The turning ring works great for the infantry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary K
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks. I will give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary K
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I will get my hobby tools out and give it a try. I got to the point of keeping track of damage of a piece of paper. Yes, that does defeat the purpose of the clicker. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ignac jakovac
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pop the wheel out, then with a sharp graphite pencil (hb, 2b or softer) pencil-in grooves on the base until they look shiny silver. Graphite will lubricate the wheel the same way as powder graphite will lubricate a lock. Reinsert the wheel and spin it few times. I get all my new MW clix (new even in 2018!) smooth turning this way.

Infantry in other hand is real PIA. Used to have ring for that purpose, but cannot find it any more. I think starter set might have included one at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.