Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a solo gamer most of the time. I need you guys' advice. I've got the base game and expansions up to flight form Moria. . .looking at the expansions since. . . holy sh*t.

Should I dive in or just wait for the app? The app will have all these expansions, right? Kind of at an impasse here. I don't like how the app doesn't seem to have the flavor text on the cards, either. But not sure that's worth what will be a very expensive investment if I can just play on the computer. Give me your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go ahead and jump in. The app is NOT a digital port of the Card Game. There will be some similarities and crossover, but they will be two different beasts altogether, From the demonstration at the Fellowship event in December, the app looks like the bastard child of the Card Game and Hearthstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Bunzel
Germany
Düsseldorf
North-Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the App is a stand alone Game like Hearthstone where you can buy packs or unlock the cards per playing, just dive in and play and have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The app SEEMS like it is going to be an extremely condensed and streamlined "version" of the game.

Other than the artwork and the name, these are not the same game.

Based on the little I've seen, I am expecting something with a bit more complexity (and much more "adventure") than Hearthstone. But it doesn't look like it will have anywhere near the same richness, depth or complexity as the physical game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
The digital version is going to be a very different game, and at this point there is no guarantee that it will even end up being that much cheaper.

If you enjoy the physical game, there is no reason not to continue collecting that. It gets more and more interesting as the cycles go on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any difficulties getting the expansions, like in Netrunner or Arkham LCG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
PraetorianXVIII wrote:
Are there any difficulties getting the expansions, like in Netrunner or Arkham LCG?

Yeah they can be hard to find although FFG eventually reprints everything. I had to go to a lot of different game stores in my area to track packs down when I was catching up. It was kind of a fun scavenger hunt for me, but I wouldn't expect everyone to feel that way about it.

At least unlike Arkham you do not really need to get everything in order as long as you have the deluxe expansion for an adventure pack. Quests are still fun as just one offs. Also, unlike Netrunner, you can tailor the difficulty to your tastes if you jump ahead to a difficult scenario without having a large player cardpool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
PraetorianXVIII wrote:

Yeah they can be hard to find although FFG eventually reprints everything. I had to go to a lot of different game stores in my area to track packs down when I was catching up. It was kind of a fun scavenger hunt for me, but I wouldn't expect everyone to feel that way about it.

At least unlike Arkham you do not really need to get everything in order as long as you have the deluxe expansion for an adventure pack. Quests are still fun as just one offs. Also, unlike Netrunner, you can tailor the difficulty to your tastes if you jump ahead to a difficult scenario without having a large player cardpool.

And to reiterate because this gets missed often, FFG to date has continued to support and reprint ALL deluxe expansions and adventure packs. Some times it may take a while as they do have quite a bit of history to keep up with and they usually focus on one cycle at a time. But this game still growing and thus you should continue to expect to see reprints at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Woodley
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan. Dice laugh
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also whole-heartedly recommend giving the card game a go. I have had a really solid five years of entertainment from it and I can't imagine stopping playing it. I look forward to the slow trickle of new releases and catch up when I feel like I can afford it and when packs come into stock. There's no stress in keeping up really but if you do enjoy it you will want to invest in whatever you can stretch to/ find since it only gets more enjoyable with a larger card pool and diversity of quests.

I have made multiple proxies of staples particularly from the core set just so I can keep multiple decks active at the same time and if you don't mind sleeving the cards and going to a little extra effort to make proxies you can trial cards that you do not yet own in order to make an informed decision about what to prioitise picking up. I hope you enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play through what you have and you'll know for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.