Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Church
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this is kind of a dumb question, but:

If I attack, say, the antelope, and hit a superdense HL with my frail bone sword, do I HAVE TO attempt to wound? The rule language "attempt to wound" is throwing me off, since it sounds like I have a choice. It seems thematically correct that I would draw the HL after attacking and hitting (which is the "attempt" in question) and then I would have roll to wound and archive the frail sword. There is no such thing as hitting a location but choosing not to wound... right?

Obviously, I want to 'game' this rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must attempt to wound unless something else prevents you from doing so.

You could strike other hit locations first that cause you to become knocked down or move the antelope out of range.

You could also have another survivor Surge and attack, potentially causing reactions that would make you unable to finish your attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to game this, use the Cat's Eye circlet to check the HL deck before attacking with a frail weapon!

I would never attack an antelope "blind" unless the super-dense location is already in the HL discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
There are some situations where you don't have to attempt to wound all drawn hit locations e.g.

*You draw two hit locations, the first one has a reaction that makes the monster move out of range.
*You use the dagger specialization to discard a hit location instead of attempting wound it.
*Various others

But generally you do have to make an attempt to wound a drawn location if you can. The wording + not wanting your bone axe to break leads to some wishful thinking, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Church
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all - this is what I expected. Good idea about using surge to interrupt; hadn't thought of that. Cat eye circlet is a great idea of course too. I'm still figuring out the best ways to use the weapon proficiencies; so far, I keep dying before I can use them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cats eye circlet is very useful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Batten
Sweden
flag msg tools
Stop Poking!
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:

Careful with writing things like that, the anti-circlet brigade might turn up in force!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Church
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fenpaints wrote:
gorkel wrote:

Careful with writing things like that, the anti-circlet brigade might turn up in force!

They exist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is natural, if you think about it: if you want to go 10speed, it is not that important to know just the next three HLs. I think the high-speed demographic overlaps with the no-CEC demographic.

It is not that I fail to understand the benefits of high speed/low accuracy (which I actually find viable, although suboptimal), it's just that the decades of luck mitigation gaming I endured, Blood Bowl on top, taught me to take the small safe benefit over the potentially dreadful gamble. If I have to roll 10 dice to hope to score a hit or two instead of rolling just two and being at least statistically confident in getting a safe hit, I'll always get the second option. I have to confess that my only encounter with GSK had expansion content though, so it was probably easier than intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.