Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Link here:
https://youtu.be/HIdc_firuHc

What are people's thoughts? Likes, dislikes? Does it look like the game you expected when initially backing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The part where he steps on the tile and the animate charges him, and gives him the choice between bracing or charge him back is really cool. The option to deal with enemies in various ways (like pushing them off a cliff) is really cool. This has actually suppressed my expectations. I also think the made the animate a bit weaker compared to the one we saw in the updates, now he simply attacks once and moves back? no casting darkness? no attacking a second time? was it an overlook or they really weakened him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoopder
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched about 40 minutes on a lunch break and have to say that it looks great so far. The in-scenario choices are a really nice aspect of it and the equipment looks like it can synergize really well. I like that you can be pretty open ended with your load-out. I know they keep talking about brightening up the tiles, but those tiles looked awesome as they are in the video. They'll be amazing once they're brightened up a bit.

My one concern after watching it is the busy-ness of the terrain effects. I'm sure it's not as bad in person as it is watching it, but it took me awhile to make sense of what lines were what and exactly where they could move.

The spot UV applications were fantastic, though, including on the back of a token. Never seen that done for a token before and goes to the care this crew has taken with the presentation of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hansen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The Animate's AI changes depending on the Adventurer's positioning. I think this video didnt quite represent how brutal Animate's can actually be. If you're within range 4, they with darkness you, then attack.

I think our rolls for the Animate were just real lucky. When they land a good roll, they will attack again which is super rough.

I hope this helps.

-Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I liked the style of the game a lot. Game play looks good too where your fighting "boss like" enemies rather than a slew of weaker minions. Didn't look too fiddly or convoluted either. Think it would be really fun to play solo or in a group. Really looking forward to going through the story. Video got me really hyped up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hansen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Terrain can be tricky. And takes a few Encounters to understand fully.

Hindering Terrain - outlined in green. -1 movement when leaving the space. +1 defense while in the space

Water Terrain - Outlined in blue - -1 movement when leaving the space. Figure may not dodge while in this space. Also, currents will effect Water Terrain.

Dangerous Terrain - outlined in white. Players are Defeated after leaving these spaces or ending their turn on these spaces. These are typically pits and will be represented that way in the art on the tiles.

Obstructing Terrain - outlined in red. Anything in these "spaces" is actually not considered a space so figures cant move into Obstructing Terrain. Line of Sight can not be drawn through these spaces.

Muck Terrain (not shown in the gameplay video) - outlined in brown. All actions cost 1 extra SP while in Muck Terrain. You'll see a lot of Muck in the swamp tile set.

Special Terrain - outlined in orange - These spaces have special rules that can be found in the Encounter setup. Sometimes they will be crumbling rocks or slippery bridges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diana M
Canada
flag msg tools

When I first saw the video I didn't think it'd be useful, but the camera man zoomed in on everything and moved around on all the action, so good job there!

About what I saw of the game:
I loved many things about it. Loved that the board/tiles are almost ALIVE lol (e.g. being in water means you can't dodge, and it eventually pulls you back with the current, etc), and that the Water Loa can turn your tile into water, that players can assist you in making some crazy jumps lol
All things like that make you feel like this IS a real team and a real quest. Freaking loved that. Exciting!

But I was a little disappointed with how luck-HEAVY it is.
I read the combat rules a while ago and I didn't think it'd be so much randomness.
Want to jump? Dice, high enough to surpass X (not just 5s & 6s)
Want to block? Dice, high enough to surpass X
Want to do some special ability? Dice, high enough to surpass X
Want the monster to attack? Dice, high enough to surpass X
Want to attack? Not only will you need to score high enough to surpass their defense, but THEN hope that you can also surpass their armor, if they have any.
And then pray you have anything leftover to do actual damage.

To now know that if I roll unlucky... I'll have to wait until alllll the players and monsters go before I can do ONE useful thing(or try to).

I know many people love dice and this all might be normal "dungeon crawler" stuff.
SO, this might be on ME for having such erroneous expectations. (it most likely is lol)
But I just like to do/think more than just roll such a demanding dice and play any/all cards I have on my station.
And I thought this game would be a perfect middle ground for legit strategy and luck.

I don't know, maybe I'd love the dice mechanics if I played it myself.
Sometimes you don't connect from simply watching a screen. lol

But the art is so appealing, the components great, the story seems engaging-- nay, addicting!-- and there seems to be so MANY of them!
My question for myself is now.... do I take the big risk and late-pledge (only have almost a day left!) or I wait for more gameplay videos and get it on retail-- sans KS exclusives?
cry lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diana, there is a fair amount of luck mitigation in the game as well, but the video didn't showcase it a lot. In fact, there is a level 1 discipline that lets you re-roll a bad roll once per round (it exhausts) but no one in the video took it.

If you don't want luck to be as big a factor for you you can focus on disciplines and items that allow re-rolls and otherwise mitigate the luck factor that is present in the game.

For those that don't mind the luck they can focus on other disciplines that are a bit more luck dependent.

The game has been balanced around averages though so on average you should be able to do something exciting, fun, or useful on your turn even without taking abilities that mitigate luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juggernaut1 wrote:
I also think the made the animate a bit weaker compared to the one we saw in the updates, now he simply attacks once and moves back? no casting darkness? no attacking a second time? was it an overlook or they really weakened him?
I think we messed up while playing the Animate in the video because he should have been using his passive ability "Chains of Perdition" which allows him to make a second attack after the first successful attack each turn (Countering cancels this ability). That means it should have attacked Rook (me) a second time during its turn before moving away. Sorry about that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Crimson_Phoenix wrote:
Diana, there is a fair amount of luck mitigation in the game as well, but the video didn't showcase it a lot. In fact, there is a level 1 discipline that lets you re-roll a bad roll once per round (it exhausts) but no one in the video took it.

If you don't want luck to be as big a factor for you you can focus on disciplines and items that allow re-rolls and otherwise mitigate the luck factor that is present in the game.

For those that don't mind the luck they can focus on other disciplines that are a bit more luck dependent.

The game has been balanced around averages though so on average you should be able to do something exciting, fun, or useful on your turn even without taking abilities that mitigate luck.

Dang that is really cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Crimson_Phoenix wrote:

Interesting. I also thought the video made the dice rolls look quite swingy (like hitting for nothing one turn, doing 7 the next). Can you go into more detail?

Also, what's the sense of progression like (how much game time does it take until you get new equipment/skills, and how many do you get over the course of the campaign?), and how involved are the campaign/story elements? (I really love Kingdom Death: Monster due to how many decisions you have during the Settlement Phase - with it feeling actually more important than the combat itself, rather than a lot of campaign games, which tend to be 95% combat, 5% leveling up. I really liked the charge/stand your ground decision in the video, is stuff like that frequent?)

And finally, how well balanced is the competitive mode? (Players can go all out, or enemy player is more like a soft DM who has to take it easy sometimes?)

For example, I like games like Cthulhu Wars where it's pretty easy to hit averages. Cthulhu rolls 6 dice, 1:2 chance of pain, 1:6 chance of a kill, average, 2 pains, 1 kill. The dice just serve as variance mostly. And able to roll more if you want to, by summoning more stuff. Ditto for TMNT and The Others, with a 1:2 chance of getting a hit, and easy ability to roll more/mitigate.

Flipside, hated Gloomhaven. 1:3 chance of any attack getting a -1, and positive modifiers would often fluff. Few ways to mitigate, bar playing the game for ages and unlocking perks, and the sense of progression was ungodly slow - 1 new skill/2 new items in the time it takes to play a full game of Mage Knight. Ditto BattleLore, often just rolling dice and hoping for that 1:3 chance of a hit (or 1:6 with archers/weakened units).

Sorry for the wall of text! Thank you muchly if you help me out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diana M
Canada
flag msg tools
Crimson_Phoenix wrote:

First, thank you so much for addressing my post, that's such a great a sign of a creator/company.

And re-roll option certainly sounds better than just depending on one try. So, that offers some relief.
Tho,
one could still reroll bad dice again (as seen in about 46mins of the video, where "Nightingale" rolled 2 times and got nothing).
Tho, yes, much less likely of 2 bad ones in a row.

But I would much rather have something along the lines of an ability to change the dice to a specific number, but having to sacrifice a card(s) or X health or even X gold.
That way I HAVE to make some difficult choices.
Do I put myself in a less-than-ideal position just to do damage?
Or do I put myself at the mercy of the dice gods?
And the game gets more exciting when one has to make those kinds of decisions, IMO. lol

But that's just MY preference. Doesn't mean it's yours or anybody else's. OR even that it's a must in allll games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to consider with Middara dice are the values on the different colours as well as the symbols. The white die rolls numbers between 2-7, but the blue die rolls numbers between 5-10. I would imagine as you get better gear, your die results will be better on average. Of course I'm sure by the time you get better gear, the challenges will be harder as well. The current rulebook shows all the dice faces on the last page if you are curious.

I suppose dice are not for everyone but I think it is a fun element in a game of this nature. At least they don't force you to roll a die that makes you miss your attack on a 1in6 chance like Descent! If you want to risk it, you can add the black die to a roll in order to score some extra symbols, but then you add the chance to roll a skull for an auto fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diana M
Canada
flag msg tools
Brian T wrote:
One thing to consider with Middara dice are the values on the different colours as well as the symbols. The white die rolls numbers between 2-7, but the blue die rolls numbers between 5-10. I would imagine as you get better gear, your die results will be better on average. Of course I'm sure by the time you get better gear, the challenges will be harder as well. The current rulebook shows all the dice faces on the last page if you are curious.

I suppose dice are not for everyone but I think it is a fun element in a game of this nature. At least they don't force you to roll a die that makes you miss your attack on a 1in6 chance like Descent! If you want to risk it, you can add the black die to a roll in order to score some extra symbols, but then you add the chance to roll a skull for an auto fail.

You made some good points there. Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hansen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
There are currently no ways of sacrificing gold or cards to change a bad roll but there are many abilities in the Cruor Discipline Tree that allow health to be sacrificed to ensure some sort of benefit. Also, many spell casting weapons allow the player to add symbols on the dice to increase a roll, which helps with the luck mitigation.

There is also a Discipline called Fortune Telling that allows a player to choose their dice roll. It's super strong but can only be used once per encounter string.

But yeah Clayton is right, there are many Disciplines and Items that allow a player to re-roll bad rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
Interesting. I also thought the video made the dice rolls look quite swingy (like hitting for nothing one turn, doing 7 the next). Can you go into more detail?
The dice used in Middara are balanced around a certain number and percentage to hit and they increase as you get better items. Combatants Defense values are based around these dice numbers and percentages.

For instance, when rolling 2 purple dice you will hit a Cave Sickle (Defense of 8) ~58% of the time. These are the lowest dice you could possibly roll and you will be hitting the lowest DR Combatant more than half the time. In addition, if you are rolling a 1 purple die and 1 white die you will hit a Cave Sickle ~64% of the time and 2 white dice will hit the Cave Sickle 72% of the time.

However, these percentages drop off as you fight tougher combatants with higher defense values (Water Loa - Defense 9; Animate - Defense 10). It should also be noted that you can get any of the aforementioned dice combinations from Mundane tier items. As soon as you start getting into Common tier items you will be rolling better dice and therefore be rolling better against these particular combatants. But tougher combatants will appear around that time as well.

C3Gaming wrote:
Also, what's the sense of progression like (how much game time does it take until you get new equipment/skills, and how many do you get over the course of the campaign?), and how involved are the campaign/story elements? (I really love Kingdom Death: Monster due to how many decisions you have during the Settlement Phase - with it feeling actually more important than the combat itself, rather than a lot of campaign games, which tend to be 95% combat, 5% leveling up. I really liked the charge/stand your ground decision in the video, is stuff like that frequent?)
Over the course of the campaign you'll get tons of new items from both loot and through purchasing items. Disciplines take a little longer to acquire but the speed at which you acquire them also depends on what you're focusing on. For instance, some disciplines grow stronger the more you have of one discipline tree while others may grow stronger based on your highest level discipline in a given tree.

The XP cost of a level 1 discipline is 3 XP, level 2 = 7 XP, level 3 = 10 XP, and level 4 = 15 XP. In addition, the cost of a disciplines increases based on how many disciplines of the same level you already have so your 2nd level 1 discipline costs 4 XP instead of 3 XP and your 3rd level 1 discipline costs 5 XP and so on. So if you wanted to rush a bunch of level 1 disciplines you could, gaining more disciplines more quickly than someone who is saving up for a level 1-2-3-4 build, but you may be sacrificing the ability to ever reach a level 4 discipline. This is still a very viable way to build your character though! It's all about your preferences as a player.

I would say that on average there is a Story Round (buying items and leveling up) once for every 2-3 hours of encounters. However you can also embark on side quests during a Story Round that will cut down on the time between building your characters.

Decision making moments in the game are fairly common and increase in both frequency and importance as the story progresses.

C3Gaming wrote:
And finally, how well balanced is the competitive mode? (Players can go all out, or enemy player is more like a soft DM who has to take it easy sometimes?)
I'm sorry to inform you that the competitive mode has been delayed and will not be part of this product due to it not being very fun for either the players nor the Badman (overlord/dm person). It may be released in the future but it still needs a lot of work that can't be done at the moment. There is a 5-player cooperative variant in the rulebook though if a player count of 5 is what concerns you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimson_Phoenix wrote:
juggernaut1 wrote:
I also think the made the animate a bit weaker compared to the one we saw in the updates, now he simply attacks once and moves back? no casting darkness? no attacking a second time? was it an overlook or they really weakened him?
I think we messed up while playing the Animate in the video because he should have been using his passive ability "Chains of Perdition" which allows him to make a second attack after the first successful attack each turn (Countering cancels this ability). That means it should have attacked Rook (me) a second time during its turn before moving away. Sorry about that!

Yeah, I remembered that from one of the updates :-)

Anyway, this game looks really good, I talk about it everywhere and hope you guys will succeed in a big way.

The world building itself is amazing and I will be happy to see an RPG line of products for it.

Also, please upload the "lore" video to BGG, I think it reflects well the effort you put into the world of Middara.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
juggernaut1 wrote:
Also, please upload the "lore" video to BGG, I think it reflects well the effort you put into the world of Middara.

I agree with this. I didn't find that video for a long time and I believe quite many people have missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
That was awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDf43G_aPNM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.