Popular Tags: [View All]
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in finally giving Up Front a try, but would appreciate some community help making the best choices from the many options available at WGV (which seems to be the cheapest option v the Avalon Hill options on eBay).

There seem to be many different options on card sizes, cards vs counters, etc.

With shipping that costs a small fortune, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to grab the expansions while I'm at it.

The packages I'm assembling are coming out prohibitively expensive, which has caused a good amount of hesitation actually pulling the trigger. Figuring out what one really needs to get the most out of this game would be a big help (as would any opinions on whether the game is likely to align with my tastes, based on my ratings and collection).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell from looking at your collection and ratings if you will like Up Front or not. Therefore, I suggest you buy what amounts to the original game -- i.e. the Up Front Complete Game Bundle. That will get you everything you'd need to play with the 3 original nationalities: German, Russian & U.S. There is a ton of great game play in that original set.

If you find you really like the game, then consider buying the remaining content that will get you the Japanese, Italians, British and French. Since this stuff is available from WotC, I would think it would be hard to recover your costs on the market if you end up not liking the game (as opposed to buying, trying and reselling an original copy). This is why I suggest a more conservative approach.

The cost of that bundle is $59.47 right now, which is a good deal for Up Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just get the main game. You will likely want to get Banzai, as the British and Japanese are interesting to play, and different from the others. I never bothered with the French and Italians TBH.

I haven't looked at what they are currently offering, but if you can get the Banzai personality cards without getting the "Jungle-ized" main deck, that's your best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried hunting down someone to play with in the Toronto area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, if you are starting out get the Base Game Bundle:
http://www.wargamevault.com/product/148406/Up-Front-Complete...

The two expansions, Banzai (British & Japanese with Jungle Deck) and Desert War (French & Italians) have their own bundles. They each have their own bundles, which include Jungle/Desert Action deck, personality & AFV cards, counters and counterreplacement cards for the nationalities:
http://www.wargamevault.com/product/178195/Up-Front-Banzai-E...

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/178194/Up-Front-Desert-W...

(The opinion of many Up Front players: British and Japanese are well worth getting. They are reasonably balanced with the original nationalities and (especially the Japanese) are very fun to play. The French & Italians are heavily disadvantaged in the game and many players avoid playing them.)

Since they only include a .pdf of the rules in the bundles, you may want to add the softcover rulebook which has all of the rules for base game and expansions:
http://www.wargamevault.com/product/172681/Up-Front-Compilat...

The personality cards are small, you may to get the poker size personality cards if your eyes are getting old (as many of ours are.):
http://www.wargamevault.com/product/224167/Up-Front-Complete...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get everything.. It's a classic and even if the French and Italians are tough to play it does not mean they cannot win. There was an excellent article in the General magazine ling ago that gave bery good tips on how to play both factions well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Duensing
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO. The game is incomplete without the Banzai expansion. Either way, it's a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Holden
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went all-in about a year ago - basic bundle and the 2 expansions. Being in Canada, I figured I'd bit the bullet and get everything so that the shipping costs would be the lowest possible (avoid the minimum shipping cost of a 2nd shipment later on). That said, I had played the game when it first came out so I was pretty aware of what Up Front was and knew the investment would be worthwhile.

BTW, the quality of the cards I received was fantastic. I recommend you do buy the deck boxes unless you have other ways to store the cards.

However, if you aren't sure of your interest in the game, I'd suggest - as others have - just get the basic bundle. If you find that you do want the expansions, just watch for a sale or if you order something else from WGV to add the items.

Note, the counters you get with WGV will not be die cut so you will have to have a way to cut them up. I like the fact that cards now replace the need for the counters.

One way to figure out if you might like the game would be to hook up and play a game over VASSEL. After a play or two you would probably get a sense if you this game interests you or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lower
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love a game of Up Front. Thanks WV!
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 for starting out with the Original Bundle.

There is a ton of gameplay in there and it will take many, many sessions to become the commander that your troops can count on. It's immersive and deep. There's more than enough time to get the other expansions if you like the Original... and if you love it you won't mind paying for an extra round of shipping (and if your opponents like it, you can combine shipping with their copies).

I did take the time to look at your collection and read a few comments on them. You said that you normally don't like randomness in your games, but with Combat Commander you do. Up Front has some of that chaos. You have to adjust and improvise. The cards are a fog of war.

The rules are odd at first, but they'll become second nature soon enough.

I'm excited for you. I still remember bumbling through my first game and having my troops shot to pieces... and I had a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help. I ended up biting the bullet and ordering the Base + Banzai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That'd be a good marketing tag line:
UP FRONT: More bullets than you can bite!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How come I see some video reviews with cards that have colored artwork on it? Is that the retail version only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After sorting through what I ended up with, I'm guessing I could have gotten buy without the (massive) 2nd action deck with the revised artwork for the Jungles etc.

Looks like most of the cost for Banzai was in that part of the bundle.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting such a long rule book. I thought this was going to be a short, "between" other wargames, wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blu_in_green wrote:

To be honest, I wasn't expecting such a long rule book. I thought this was going to be a short, "between" other wargames, wargame.

Well it takes about an hour to 90 minute between experienced players.

The rules are unfortunately presented in programmed instruction. On the plus side, it means you can play the basic scenario without knowing all of the rules. The bad side, the rules badly organized based on when AH decided to introduce the rule rather than any logical progression. And a tutorial would be very helpful

Most of rules after Rule 20 are essentially scenario specific (i.e. something that applies if the item is used in the scenario and safely ignored when not used: additional weapons (flamethrowers, demo charges, ordnance weapons in general, mortar, infantry guns, radios to call in artillery), AFV's, partisans, elite & 2nd line troops, night rules, etc.

Unfortunately, some rules universally applied in every scenario are located in the back of the book: Entrenchment (a very important rule!), wounded men, Prisoners.

Start with scenario A, A Meeting of Patrols, or M, Patrol (these are virtually identical), as the rules suggest. (The first playthrough stop at Rule 16, on further playing add the rules up to 20, 32 Prisoners, 33 Wounds and 35 Entrenchments.)

Once you are comfortable the basic scenario, then play scenario without vehicles (i.e any scenario except E, F, G, H, L, T, U, V)

Unlike some other wargames, scenarios do not get "played out" in Up Front. I still enjoy the basic A scenario, though it doesn't include lots of kewl toys, it is still a challenging scenario.

Don't hesitate to ask questions on the rules--If I see it, I'll try to answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grove123 wrote:
How come I see some video reviews with cards that have colored artwork on it? Is that the retail version only?

I have the same question? I think Grove123 is referring to the Joe Steadman videos where he is using different cards that he said he found on BGG and then printed. If still available, I would prefer to use those cards and I see the counters Joe had on the site but not the soldier and vehicle cards.

Would be great if someone could point to those or let us know if they’re still available. If not, I guess I’ll order the WOTC version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Answering my own question...

Re-watched the Joe Steadman video and he states right at the start that he did the cards himself.

I’ve ordered the bundle from Wargame Vault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.