8 Posts

City of Remnants» Forums » General

Subject: City of Remnants - play length and arc of play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Davis
United States
flag msg tools
Would anyone care to share their experience with City of Remnants' play time and the general arc to the game's progression?

I've played twice with 2 players, once with 4 players, and once with 3 players.

In my experience, it takes a long time to begin accruing Reknown. While the mechanics of this game may not be very "heavy", I feel that the game requires quite a bit of slow-burn strategic thinking because the game is long. It's sandbox nature

Our most recent play was with 3 players and after 2 hours our scores were 50 (yellow), 29 (blue), and 12 (green). I really feel like it was a slog up to that point and we mutually agreed to quit. Maybe in the next hour we would've seen a snowball effect on the Reknown, but I just can't quite nail down the pacing of this game.

I am pretty close to writing the game off as "too long" and moving on, although some of my group are still interested in playing around with the mechanics.

Some suggestions on the boards here recommend reducing the Reknown pool. My wife suggested starting the map with some pre-populated buildings which I thought was a novel idea. No idea how to balance that, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience (1 game) at some point both the blue and the green players started to produce and acquire Reknown at a super rate. The game ended quite early after then, there was a huge snowball effect leading to the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that people wait too long before they start attacking. The build up game does take a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I believe 3 players is the optimal player count for this game. The game can be seen as having a slow burn at the start; however, it’s important to build as quickly as possible, but expand quickly. I love this game, unfortunately it doesn’t go well in my group as the flow of the game is not to the liking of some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Davis
United States
flag msg tools
It may be due to inexperience, but I felt that we would attack early and accomplish very little. I remember playing as red and bouncing off of every enemy I went after. I watched green perform the same in our 3 player game. I guess proper deck construction should be considered before jumping into the fray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptMuffincubes wrote:
It may be due to inexperience, but I felt that we would attack early and accomplish very little. I remember playing as red and bouncing off of every enemy I went after. I watched green perform the same in our 3 player game. I guess proper deck construction should be considered before jumping into the fray.

Agreed. It is a game which requires multiple plays to fully grasp. This is the big barrier of entry. In addition, people play this game, dare I say it, “the wrong way” with certain expectations. If you play it as an area control game, and not a war game, it will work nicely. This game should not take more than two hours to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Davis
United States
flag msg tools
Luckily my wife and friends are itching to play it some more even after we flubbed a few rules and one player had a bad start which might have soured him on the game. I think I will encourage folks to hoard territories and buildings first. I think next time I will push everyone to take their turns quickly and remind them that the end will arrive quicker than we may think (snowball effect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chudley wrote:

In addition, people play this game, dare I say it, “the wrong way” with certain expectations. If you play it as an area control game, and not a war game, it will work nicely. This game should not take more than two hours to play.

I've always thought of this game as a bit of both area control and a war game actually. You definitely want to build up your empire for sure and grow in power, but I'm sorry, if I know I have a good chance of ambushing your gang and potentially killing your leader; I will. If this means I just added another hour of play time by doing so, oh well. Thug life baby!

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.