Popular Tags: [View All]
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm going to publish this game but I'd like to add a theme to it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zig-Zag Tag — zany, bouncy runners trying to tag one another?

The running back and forth reminds me of cricket, but that's about all about it that does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, it's also a little reminiscent of squash or racquetball, if both players were also balls, such that it's just 3 balls playing the game (inspired by the "head-only" Ravensburger playing pieces, I suspect).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Leprechauns running back and forth on a rainbow (7 spaces = ROYGBIV)

Nice! Couple that with my zig-zag tag notion, and I can see it. Obviously, it's leprechaun children.

grasa_total wrote:
Same-sex love triangle (three people chasing one another around the board, never happy with the partner who's already in your space, you want to meet the other one)

Heh heh, and the 7 spots are days of the week they'll meet to date.

grasa_total wrote:
Eclipse (the runners are sun/moon/earth, highest scores come from getting all three 'lined up' in one space)

surprise I almost mentioned syzygy! Maybe there is something to the notion….
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
grasa_total wrote:
Same-sex love triangle (three people chasing one another around the board, never happy with the partner who's already in your space, you want to meet the other one)

Heh heh, and the 7 spots are days of the week they'll meet to date.

I love this.

I admit that of my ideas, my favorite was actually "Robin Hood splitting the arrow", maybe because it's a nice lightweight theme for a quick game, and because focusing on the "precision" aspect, instead of the "going back and forth endlessly" aspect, seems satisfying. (Though I haven't played, so I don't know.) But "7 days in a week" is so perfect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Competing house painters on ladders.

Pinball!

Martinis getting served to customers at a bar, then you can call it "Madcap Martinis"!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Erickson
msg tools
Love triangle made me laugh out loud. Points for creativity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madcapmartini wrote:
Martinis getting served to customers at a bar, then you can call it "Madcap Martinis"!!

On the fourth read, I finally no longer saw, "Martians getting served…." shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Erickson
msg tools
The tough part is that neither player "is" any of the three pieces, so you're never rooting for a certain color. Something like these two comes to mind:

A) The players are two enemy nations, and the three pieces are spies/agents. (Obviously they are all double-agents since they have no loyalty.) You take turns "paying" one of the three spies to travel to different countries (or continents), and you score whenever your spy is able to rendezvous with another spy (or even better, with BOTH other spies), hence getting secret information for your nation. The reason you can't move the same color twice in a row is because your opponent has just paid that spy, so the spy is still "working" for your opponent. And some continents/countries are worth more points than others (from 1-7) based on how powerful they are, or how unstable they are, or ...? ...something else that makes sense. The "bouncing" isn't really explained though.

B) Similar premise, but the players are two crime bosses (c. 1920s?) and the three pieces are henchmen who switch sides for pay. The dice again represent bribe money to go to different cities and do some kind of business with the other henchmen (bootlegging?), or maybe instead steal from each other (so when you move a henchman onto another henchman, he steals his loot and sends it to you -- the bigger the city, the more money is at stake, maybe counted in millions instead of just "points"). As for the bouncing ... maybe they're taking the bus or subway so they have to go back and forth between the two big "stations" on the 1 and the 7 and that's why they always move in order?

Still would need some work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Eclipse one. More ideas, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nestorgames wrote:
I love the Eclipse one. More ideas, please!

This gets my vote too. Great idea. But I'll be sad if the name changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Erickson
msg tools
What do you all think of a mining theme? Pawns would be dynamite or some equivalent explosive. Players are transporting the explosives around a mine. When enough dynamite is in a specific area of the mine, players obtain gold (represented by points of course). Deeper areas of the mine contain more gold and hence more points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also kind of a bouncy bocce, but that's still pretty abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Erickson
msg tools
That eclipse idea is clever and definitely ought to be the theme for some game out there, but I think it would be tough to make sense with this game. The triple line-ups are like an eclipse, but as it turns out, most of the scoring comes from just two pieces lining up; plus I'm afraid it's hard to give any meaning to the point values or to the two opposing players. "Eclipse" has such a nice ring to it, though; I think it's a clever theme that's just waiting for the right game.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for cheap thrills like explosions and gold nuggets, but I have to admit I like the gold-mine idea a lot better than the ideas I came up with. Even the "bouncing" makes sense! (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Man_engi...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. The explosions and gold nuggets are gaining some traction. And it won't be neccesary to change the name.

Also I have a supply of 'gold nuggets' like the Helium3 deposits of Moon Harvesters but in yellow:

... that will be more elegant than a scoring track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nestorgames wrote:
Yep. The explosions and gold nuggets are gaining some traction. And it won't be neccesary to change the name.

Also I have a supply of 'gold nuggets' like the Helium3 deposits of Moon Harvesters but in yellow:

... that will be more elegant than a scoring track.

This is so exciting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about the three colors yet. They must stick to these constraints if possible:

- The spots on the dice must all be of the same color (either white or black). So the combination black-white-other is not possible.

- It must be colourblind friendly.

- No grey dice, as my supplier doesn't provide them.

- They must fit the theme somehow.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking either:

- black, blue, red

- black, purple, red
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Erickson
msg tools
We were also thinking blue, black, and red. Our initial prototype used these colors and looked very nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to production issues, it will be black-purple-red. I hope you're happy with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.