Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Well, to cut to the chase, this is one of the best 'battle' games that I have ever played. The 'orders system' is so well handled that it could be used as a staple in any battle game in the 18th or 19th Century. In short, I would describe it as 'simple elegance'.

I have been playing board war-games since 1969 so I am no stranger to the many different types of 'command control' rules that have been utilized in games. From the inevitable "McClellan Rule" in any "Antietam" game to the more sophisticated orders rules in the Gamers Napoleonic and Civi War games.

While the Gamers system was realistic, it is the execution of those rules that is 'clunky' compared to hexasims. Through the use of a 'mini-map' and corps level counter chits, a corps can be directed to a particular geographic spot and in association with other rules can be directed to hold the spot or wait until new orders arrive.

I played my first game yesterday with the orders system and it was really wild. This was due to our inexperience with the game but the simulation gave very valid historical results.

I would go so far as to say that with 'a little work' it wouldn't be too difficult to retro-fit this orders system to almost any battle in the historical period that I mentioned.

"Gettysburg" and "Antietam" come to mind for the Civil War and "Eylau" or "Borodino" for the Napoleonic period. I think this retro-fit orders system would work for many other games done by other companies.

In closing though, the production value of the game is very high. The counter die cutting is the best that I have ever seen in the business.
The counters literally fall out of the 'counter tree' and each counter already has a rounded corner saving me hours of work 'trimming' each counter.

A superior product from Hexasim!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin
mbmbmbmbmb

My regular ftf opponent didn't like the Waterloo game using this system. Very sad, as I thought it was great . Don't think i can persuade him to try another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent GERARD
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

My regular ftf opponent didn't like the Waterloo game using this system. Very sad, as I thought it was great . Don't think i can persuade him to try another.

Did he lose ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin
mbmbmbmbmb

He was losing when we called it. In fairness to him, he doesn't really like Nappy games. More into his ancients and medieval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent GERARD
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Then it's a different problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Trandel
msg tools

Oh my..., this is a great game. Finally we have an amazingly playable, yet rich game on Napoleonic combat. The additions to the cavalry rules after the Waterloo game add much flavor, yet do not clutter up the game. And yes, they can be retrofitted to Waterloo with no problem.

And the simple, sensible, and effective rules on orders and command control are groundbreaking. I agree that they can be applied to other 19th century games, and in fact I intend to do exactly that. I think this is a system that will grow in popularity as gamers learn about it.

And FYI, I ordered the game plus Fallen Eagles direct from the Hexasim website, and expected to have the shipment come from France. What actually happened was that the games came to me like a shot, shipped from Knoxville TN, about an hours drive from my home. Expectations exceeded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Having become quite familiar with Ligny, last night we opened the campaign game and played the first 4 turns of Austerlitz

The fog, mostly fixed orders for the first few turns and concealment (we used movement sleds) made for a fascinating and very engaging opening to the campaign.

As the French player, I had Davout on the right and far forward, his forces did a magnificent and surprising job of holding back the initial intentions of the enemy, getting most of his reinforcements onto the board to join him, while roughly holding his position.

I had Murat move the Cavalry Corps out on the right to go down and support him.

On the left I had Bernadote and Lannes pushing out to cover that flank.

In the Centre, I had Soult positioning ready to strike out into the now large gap between the enemy centre and their left flank, with a view to them hitting the outer left flank of the centre via that gap and the Imperial Guard and Grenadiers were setting up to smash into the front of the centre, to help make Soult's manoeuvre decisive.

Then suddenly helped by the fog of war, the Russian Guard popped up on my centre left and my own Guard were revealed, followed by a clash between these two important formations. The Russian Guard were roughly handled and then in my 2nd activation, I had the Guard just fire, so that I did not suffer counter-fires and a good run of dice brought about step losses and retreats. The edge had definitely been taken off the Russian Guard, I was still respectful of their capacity, but perhaps a bit less fearful.

At the start of turn 5, I rolled 6 for orders (minus 3) gave me 3 orders plus the Davout special order. Mike rolled for the Allies and got 'no orders', so would have to rely on his army commanders in the up-coming turn.

Though the evening's play stopped there for us, I felt as the French Player, that the initiative was with me and that re-ordering would help me destroy the centre (a plan which involved taking Murat's cavalry from the right and having Davout ((alone)) just keep falling back, absorbing the ebnemy advance, while the enemy centre was destroyed).

We felt that the way the game unfolded and the dynamic of orders and hidden forces, made the first 4 turns an interesting part of the game in it's own right.

We hadn't played since February, so there was a bit of rule delving and these rules do have some fine nuances tucked away, but we felt that between the two of use, we pretty much got back into the swing of things quite quickly.

Superb!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.