Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Ying
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the fantastic week! And now, to pass this torch! Everyone, I'd love for you to meet Julia.

Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb

Her Bio:
Quote:
"I always loved playing games, since I was a kid. It wasn't important what the game was, but the fact that there was a challenge, the promise of fun, the idea of doing something different to spend my free hours.

Still, I grew up without knowing anything about designer games until I met the guy who will later become my husband. I was 20, I was angry with life and Andrea arrived one day with one little gift for me. I opened it, and discovered Carcassonne. I wasn't happy: it seemed just a stupid silly thing where you had to place tiles for don't know what reason.

Seven days and 24 plays later, I was totally hooked. Loved the game, and wanted more. It was like discovering something I had been waiting for my whole life. So, after princesses and dragons, and inns and cathedrals and all the carcassonesque stuff, something bigger entered my life: Arkham Horror. I never could have dreamed of such a game. We spent one entire night learning the rules and playing the first game, and after that, all is history: the collection became quite large in quite a short time, and playing games became the most intimate moment in our life. Spending the evening playing games is like living a wonderful adventure, and I'll always pick this up upon becoming grey watching the tv.

Since then, the hobby grew into something more. Back in 2014, I started testing for FFG. A beta experience at first (first expansion for Wiz-War) and from then I worked on more and more projects, including alphas and even tech editing of rulebooks.

To this day, I can’t imagine a day of my life without a bit of a game in it !!!!"

We met while we were both working for FFG. If you want someone to thank for the quality of most of the games I've made, you can give her a lot of the credit.

Now for her Two Truths and a Lie:

Poll
Which is the lie?
A professional chef complimented my cooking skills
Earlier in my life, I dreamt of becoming a professional makeup artist and work for Tim Burton (or no one else)
I’m an incredibly tidy person
      249 answers
Poll created by Fancymancer

Have fun, Julia!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Julia! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Julia and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Julia! Thanks for all the microbadges you purchase!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Julia!

Well deserved. Enjoy your week in the limelight.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molly Glover
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray for Julia! She is a phenomenal person and I'm always happy when she's on my team for a project.

*sees Gary's comment*
*looks at Julia's microbadges*
*drops dead of amazement*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Fox
United States
Cairo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What took so long getting Julia as geek of the week! WOOHOO JULIA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Julia! It's about time!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizardly type? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from? You knew that was coming, didn't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miller
United States
Winchendon
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Memoir '44 World Cup Tournament Organizer - Red Eyed Jack
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Julia! Enjoy the week in the spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noshrok Grimskull
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wreckers don't call for backup, they call for cleanup!
mbmbmbmb
YAY!
My favorite hamster-witch is GotW!

Congratz from Da Ork, Agnes Genevieve Paulina Julia!

Here's Da Ork's kustomary Bukkit o' Kwestshunz for you!

1. What's your favorite movie?
2. What's your favorite book / novel?
3. If you could spend 24 hours in the past, at a place and date of your choosing, where and when would you go?
4. If you had the funds to make the movie of your dreams, what would that movie be about and who would you cast?
5. Have you ever been on TV or in the papers?
6. What was your favorite toy when you were a kid?
7. Do you still have that toy?
8. Do you read comic books? And if you do: Which ones?
9. Why would I want to write a book about you?
10. Why would you want to write a book about me?
11. What's your favorite TV series?
12. What's your favorite cartoon series?
13. Which movie have you seen last? At home and in the cinema, please.
14. Are you planning to visit Bremen at some point in the future?

Bonus question because it's me and it's expected by now: Who is best pony?

What's the weirdest....

...game you've ever played?
...food you've eaten?
...drink you've encountered?
...place you've visited?
...piece of clothes you have?
...person you've met?
...thing you possess?
...song you've heard?
...dream you've had and still recall?
...book you've read?
...TV series / movie you've seen?
...alien creature from any media in your opinion and why?
...creature/animal you've ever seen while not being in a zoo?
...question anyone has ever asked you?

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica - the other one
Sweden
Örebro in Sweden (sometimes Strengelbach in Switzerland)
flag msg tools
They are a treasure - I don´t need lots of them...
badge
Yay - Stretch goat!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Julia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ...
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Julia, you are long overdue! (if you know what I mean laugh )

So great to see you Geek of the Week, enjoy your time in the limelight

What is your favourite time of day and why?

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb
JoystickZ wrote:
Congrats, Julia! Enjoy your week!

Thank you Markus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
Congrats Julia and enjoy your week!

Thank you Drew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3wgames wrote:
Congrats Julia! Thanks for all the microbadges you purchase!!!

Thank you Gary! As for microbadges... there are too many talented microbadgicians out there, it's their fault!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mollysaurus wrote:
Hooray for Julia! She is a phenomenal person and I'm always happy when she's on my team for a project.

*sees Gary's comment*
*looks at Julia's microbadges*
*drops dead of amazement*

Aww... you're too kind Molly! Last game I worked on with Dane, he commented "I've got my Ibuprofen ready", so, thank you for bearing with my constant nitpicking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeserox wrote:
What took so long getting Julia as geek of the week! WOOHOO JULIA!

You're too kind, Luke Not so sure I deserve the honor, but since it's quite comfortable on the throne, I won't say a word

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Julia!
Have an awesome week!
I have only known you for a short while but I wanted to congratulate you anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
msg tools
badge
It's so FLUFFY!!!!
mbmbmb
yay! Congratulations Julia!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's your favorite weather?

...favorite season?

...favorite meal?

...favorite beverage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you Doug! And yeah... I kinda knew it was coming, but it's still a tough one.

I'd go with Ged, created by the pen of Ursula K. LeGuin for her Earthsea saga, because of his story. As in a standard Bildungsroman (set in a fantasy world of course), the hero is not born a hero but needs to grow and become who's destined to be; at that point, he represents all what we'd expect from a wizard: the wisdom (after all they both share the same root, the Middle English wys), and the power.

chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Julia! It's about time!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizardly type? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from? You knew that was coming, didn't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Eyed Jack wrote:
Congratulations, Julia! Enjoy the week in the spotlight!

Thank you Matt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Mundo
United Kingdom
~ Worcestershire ~
flag msg tools
uh oh
badge
uh oh
mbmb
Congratulations Julia - have a great week

Richie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say what?! First time I'm giving BGG a good look in weeks and Julia is GotW!!! Congratulations!

Q1. What's your favourite and least favourite LotR (or other middle earth) character?
Q2. (As you may or may not know, I love to annoy people.) What can I do to really bug you at a game night?
Q3. Battle of the Bands: Bauhaus vs. Joy Division vs. Tuxedo Moon. Pick a winner.
Q4. What is your favourite game night snack (or is snacking strictly prohibited)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Micha kiss

And yay, Da Bukket of Kwesthunz! For the 2nd time!!! (wondering how many answers will be different from the time you asked me those when I was LSotW). Let's start!!

1. What's your favorite movie?
Argh, too many. We could narrow it down to a few hundreds if you asked me about my favorite directors. I'll go with a few:
- The great beauty, by Paolo Sorrentino: this is a recent addition to my fave movies of all times. It's a desperate reflection on life and on how you can build a life upon an existential void that at some point will come and ask you to pay the toll. The direction's stunning: the aesthetical research of the director's done with an incredible use of the camera, which moves along curve lines mirroring the curve lines you see within the frame. The score is amazing, featuring among the others, "My heart's in the highlands", by Arvo Part (one of my favorite composers), and the acting by Toni Servillo is simply stunning
- Persona, by Ingmar Bergman: possibly the greatest movie of all times. There's so much of the human psyche in it that I could go on for ages talking about it. Watch it, then watch it again and again until the dvd is worn out: at that point you'll discover the movie still has things to tell you about life, love, desperation, solitude. So flippin' good
- Koyanisqaatsi, by Godfrey Reggio: this is a perfect representation of the lack of balance between nature and civilization, and how we progressively lead a more and more stressful life, drifting apart from the natural equilibrium. Ron Fricke's photography to this day is still unmatched. Yes, it's difficult to watch if you're accustomed to modern flicks, but give it 20 minutes, and you won't be able to stop watching it.

2. What's your favorite book / novel?
"Favorite" in the sense that I'd return to it over and over again without getting tired? Then it's Tolkien's The Silmarillion (possibly implemented by some of the Unfinished Tales, I just love Tuor's tale of how he reached Gondolin, and the expanded version of the Narn I Hin Hurin). There's a musicality in Tolkien's words that speaks directly to my heart.
But if I have to pick the book that impacted my life the most, then it'd be Saramago's Blindness. It's a very difficult read, especially in the central parts, but there's so much of us all in that book that it's amazing the depths it reaches in so few pages.

3. If you could spend 24 hours in the past, at a place and date of your choosing, where and when would you go?
That's a great question. If I could just watch from a safe distance, I'd pick a day with the dinosaurs. Otherwise, I'd love to spend a day in the Ancient Egypt, and watch all the marvels, and see the Great Pyramid of the Dark Pharaoh being edificated for real.

4. If you had the funds to make the movie of your dreams, what would that movie be about and who would you cast?
I'd love to make a proper movie of the Dark Tower saga. Starring:
- Tom Hardy as the Gunslinger
- Ian McShane as The Man in Black
- Gustaf Skarsgard as Eddie
- Zoe Kravitz as Susan

5. Have you ever been on TV or in the papers?
Not that I know of. I've been on Reddit tho (got a public plause from a reviewer for my tech edit on Forbidden Stars, but not so sure if this fits your question

6. What was your favorite toy when you were a kid?
I had a doll I loved; she was called "Schicchera" (="gentle smack" - yeah, I know, don't ask). Still, the sweetest memories from my childhood are tied to the summers I spent in my grandfather's garden, chasing butterflies and laying in the grass, looking at the sky. And hiding pizza slices under my pillow (again, don't ask )

7. Do you still have that toy?
I don't think so

8. Do you read comic books? And if you do: Which ones?
I used to, but now I don't have much time for them. I like a lot of the guys who worked for Marvel in the last decade (Brubaker, Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Millar), but the author I owe the most is certainly Alan Moore. V for Vendetta and Watchmen marked me beyond comprehension

9. Why would I want to write a book about you?
Because I'm awesome and irreparably damaged, so that it'll certainly be a best-seller I'm sure Scorsese will buy you the script for a tv series and we'll all end up being millionaires So, START NOW!!!

10. Why would you want to write a book about me?
Because Orks having an encyclopedical knowledge about Transformers are rare?

11. What's your favorite TV series?
That's another difficult one (again, the answer would be: too many). Probably Vikings, if we could consider the series ending with the end of the 4th season. 5th season is absolutely terrible so far. Still, some of the dialogues written for Vikings are absolutely terrific, and the way their culture and religion's described is amazing.

12. What's your favorite cartoon series?
Cartoon series: I'd say none. If I'm allowed to move to anime, well, it's Sailor Moon (I know, but you asked me about my favorite, not the best one, and I watched it to death and loved it even more when I was a teen). Captain Harlock comes close second tho

13. Which movie have you seen last? At home and in the cinema, please.
At home: Gremlins (for the first time), and I loved it! It's so funny and brilliant. And after watching a couple of hours of documentaries and discovering a ton of backstories (see Chris Columbus getting the idea for the gremlins from the fact that he had mice running over his body when he was asleep in his incredibly cheap apartment in NY) I love it even more. There was so much creativity at that time!
In the cinema: Quo vado?, two years ago (don't go very much to the movies for a ton of reasons), an Italian flick based on mocking cultural stereotypes. Very very very smart and well done. Plus part of it was shot in the Svalbard, so, it was nice to see

14. Are you planning to visit Bremen at some point in the future?
Of course!

Bonus question because it's me and it's expected by now: Who is best pony?

Fluttershy!

(second half after dinner)
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.