Hegalian_Crisis!!
United States
flag msg tools
Happy New Year!

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been wanting to get my kids into RPGs and they really like Star Wars. I'd been thinking of Imperial Assault as a sort of "gateway" game (that I'd bet we'd still play by itself too w friends/family). My thought was to play the game and slowly "evolve" into more of a traditional RPG.

I'm wondering:
1. what people think of that idea & if anyone's gone that route before.

And EQUALLY important:
2. one thing I worry about is that in the Star Wars universe you're either a Jedi with "magic" powers or you're not. What's appealing about Pathfinder etc is that you can make a character into pretty much anything you want. "You want to be a ranger who's learned how to create fog but has no other magic abilities? No problem." My kids like to be really creative and so I'm worried to what degree really crazy custom characters would "fit" in Star Wars. I know we could make our own game anything we want it to be but I also wouldn't want to spend a lot of time making up our own rules regarding character abilities.

Thanks for any help!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play an RPG, why not do an RPG? Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game is an excellent start for that (so are the other beginner boxes). Has pre-generated characters and everything.

Turning a boardgame in a RPG experience never really works. It makes no sense to me to use a boardgame as a gateway to an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
Any child who can play IA is also capable of playing most RPGs.

IA doesn't have the level of customisation that you seem to want. Each character only has a handful of cards to choose from. Even swapping cards between characters is not going to produce the variety you want.

That said, the game can be played as more of an RPG if the Imperial player wants to fiddle with the missions a bit, make them less kill-kill and more investigate, or just rebalance them a little depending on the player abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By RAW (Rule as Written), IA is in no way a RPG game. Rebels, for the most part, are constantly on a race against the clock to avoid them resting forever. Ever saw Han Solo on the Death Star? It's like that: Your objective is to get in and finish your mission. Trying to blast away Stormtroopers is fun but you will lose if you don't focus on the main objective

You can tweak the missions a bit like extending the mission timer (ex. Mission ends at round 8 instead of round 5, "accidentally" forgot to bring out that AT-ST reinforcement...) but not much tweak can be done with the Rebel heroes unless you want to make your own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
If you want to play an RPG, why not do an RPG? Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game is an excellent start for that (so are the other beginner boxes). Has pre-generated characters and everything.

Turning a boardgame in a RPG experience never really works. It makes no sense to me to use a boardgame as a gateway to an RPG.

Saw the thread title and came here to say this same thing. If you want to play an RPG, just play one. If they don't want to, and you're hoping to get them started on SW:IA as a way to kind of coerce them into playing an RPG, I think you're setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

Now, as you play SW:IA, you can kind of "role play" your character and really get into it, and maybe after that they'd want to try a full fledged RPG. But I wouldn't try to turn SW:IA into an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you're looking for more options, the RPG database here has 11 pages of results for the search term "star wars"
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objec...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hegalian_Crisis!!
United States
flag msg tools
Well, bummer. I was hoping someone might've tried it. We have some developmental disability challenges in my family so I felt a pretty physical board with fun miniatures (aesthetics r also of magnified importance) would be something everyone could enjoy while we slowly build in a bit more complexity as we go. I've tried a little bit as a GM but it's very tricky; whether I slow things down or speed things up, somebody gets frustrated. Thanks tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with the threads conclusion and believe a blend is realistic.

Pick up the Star Wars Edge of Empire. Have your family pick and develop a Edge of Empire character. That character and stats is used for role play and space combat.

Align your story to fit into IA. Use IA for ground combat.

A little creativity and you should have a semi decent hybrid.

There are a few details to work out but conceptually I think it’s possibek to make this work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing stopping you from using the game tiles to create your own locations and scenarios which you can create an RPG narrative out of. In fact FFG actually had an RPG conversion pdf for Descent Second Edition you could download to give some guidance in turning the game into a full fledged RPG using the combat rules. I still have a copy of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure you can create a hybrid, but that is different from the intend of using it as a gateway. You can easily use the tiles for the rpg as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with others saying this will never be a full fledged RPG. However, I believe it does scratch the same kind of its. It does to my play group atnyway.

As adults, we do not have the time and effort a real RPG requires, and we found a nice substitute in IA. Sure the characters cannot be modified as freely as in a real RPG, and the missions are much more combat oriented. But, once every two weeks, we are able to play the Rebel heroes we all feel a little as our own. Our Imperial player acts a little bit as a dungeon master, making the story a lot more prominent by filling in the blanks and re-balancing certain missions when absolutely necessary but still keeping them challenging. We all have fun, a very similar kind of fun we would have if it was an RPG, but in a nice compact, eaily accessible form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.