Subject: Reinforcement Overload rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Zack
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game for Xmas - only 3 games under my belt so far, but they were all epic slaughters. I'm correct in that the enemy gets reinforcements every turn, right? How do you overcome the sheer number of hostiles coming at you? Last game: 2 officers, large warehouse, and the bunker clearing objective - I had 25 hostiles! You can't carry enough ammo to defeat them. On top of that, I spend all my actions removing Suppress tokens, so I can't get a shot in anyway. I have a few minor rule questions as well, but the reinforcements seem impossible to overcome.

Advice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly gets reinforcements. Depends on the card drawn. I don't think I've ever had a game with that many enemy reinforcements appearing. Are you sure you're checking correctly?

You draw one card per location that has one (or more) of your men in it. Check the location card's "Reinf" number against the card that was drawn. If the Hostile card number (upper right) that was drawn doesn't match the location's "Reinf" number exactly, that's it, discard the enemy card and no reinforcements for that location. I only see something a bit under 40% of the time getting a reinforcement.

Then again, tactically, I'm also not spread out all over the terrain locations. I try to follow a 4F pattern of movement where I advance in bounds and leaps using overwatch fire. I'm rarely in more than 2 locations at a time with my forces.

P.S. What do you mean, two officers? That wasn't your entire force, was it?

P.P.S. I also can't recall a time where more than a quarter or a third of my available PC/NPC/squads as a force has had a suppress token on it. I always have firepower available to suppress enemy forces. And only one suppress counter gets removed from each Hostile card at the end of the Hostile turn. If you have several suppress markers on one Hostile card, it takes them a while to get back to full firepower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to hear thoughts on this as well. Of the three games I've played, only one had "reinforcement overload" but it was insane. I decided to surrender

I chalked it up to bad planning on my part yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadwallader1066 wrote:
On top of that, I spend all my actions removing Suppress tokens, so I can't get a shot in anyway.

This has happened to me as well. Once a certain tipping point is reached it feels hopeless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zack
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm reinforcing (or not) as you say, but in my games I'd say more hostiles are added 80% of the time.

The two officers I meant were Germans with reinforce abilities, so them plus the locations had me adding 2 - 4 hostile cards every turn. Plus two Straggler cards (for example) equals 10 hostiles, so the number of EKIAs required is rising exponentially.

It's so easy for the Germans to defeat my cover that I'm always getting loaded up with Suppress markers. Those are better than wounds, but still stifle my actions.

I think I just need to play more, but victory seems impossible.

PS Side question: I assume a Corpsman can heal himself? Also, if a soldier loses his last health during the Hostile turn, do I still get one more chance to heal him during the next Soldier turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
One thing to do is try and be picky about the locations you put into play. Marsh and Steep Slope are a pain to get into, but they don't produce many reinforcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadwallader1066 wrote:
... so them plus the locations had me adding 2 - 4 hostile cards every turn ...

Are you exposing new location cards every turn? Don't do this until you've got the momentum and enough enemies suppressed to consider moving into it. Or are your units on more than two location cards, thus possibly drawing more than two reinforcements? If the later, tighten your forces up to be only on two location cards at once, and don't leave your own stragglers behind this "front line" to possibly trigger reinforcements "behind" you.

That two officer situation sounds like a tough break. Yikes. I have been beaten in missions, but mostly because of poor dice rolling on my part not being able to suppress and then move into closer combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zack
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ron42na wrote:
One thing to do is try and be picky about the locations you put into play. Marsh and Steep Slope are a pain to get into, but they don't produce many reinforcements.

Location choice is one of the critical decisions in WF.

I'd rather spend a turn Discarding and Drawing to get a low risk location that not (usually).

I will play a high likelihood of reinforcement location if:
1/ pressed for time
2/ have one or more soldiers on overwatch (and/or triggered weapons)
3/ have a stay low action card
4/ will be certain to have no soldiers there for more than 1 turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadwallader1066 wrote:
Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm reinforcing (or not) as you say, but in my games I'd say more hostiles are added 80% of the time.

The two officers I meant were Germans with reinforce abilities, so them plus the locations had me adding 2 - 4 hostile cards every turn. Plus two Straggler cards (for example) equals 10 hostiles, so the number of EKIAs required is rising exponentially.

It's so easy for the Germans to defeat my cover that I'm always getting loaded up with Suppress markers. Those are better than wounds, but still stifle my actions.

I think I just need to play more, but victory seems impossible.

PS Side question: I assume a Corpsman can heal himself? Also, if a soldier loses his last health during the Hostile turn, do I still get one more chance to heal him during the next Soldier turn?

Ouch!

Try Just another Day mission, Bunker Clearing Objective, recon a location with Rein: None and take your time.

Take Scanlan - his BAR will make a huge difference

Use fire and movement.

Answers:
Yes a corpsman can use a first aid kit on himself
No - if downed your are immediately downed (unless their is a card that can help)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
Cadwallader1066 wrote:
On top of that, I spend all my actions removing Suppress tokens, so I can't get a shot in anyway.

This has happened to me as well. Once a certain tipping point is reached it feels hopeless.

Once the Hostiles have you pinned down and unable to recover your momentum they will wear you down or the timer will defeat you.

As in real combat - you need to keep the initiative, do unto them before they do unto you.
If you lose the initiative - look to try to regain it - it might be possible for a targeted soldier to move away from the Hostiles this drawing them into range of your other soldiers or at least away from the objective.

Try to ensure all Hostiles in range are EKIA or SUPP before the Hostile turn - yes this can be difficult, but if you can't see what action cards can help, consider downing a soldier with His Number Was Up, smoke grenade...
If you have a choose between two Hostiles to shoot up - look to see which is the greater threat... a Grenadier in range is more of a threat with it's All damage than a Lone Soldier..

Let us know how it goes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadwallader1066 wrote:
Just got the game for Xmas - only 3 games under my belt so far, but they were all epic slaughters. I'm correct in that the enemy gets reinforcements every turn, right? How do you overcome the sheer number of hostiles coming at you? Last game: 2 officers, large warehouse, and the bunker clearing objective - I had 25 hostiles! You can't carry enough ammo to defeat them. On top of that, I spend all my actions removing Suppress tokens, so I can't get a shot in anyway. I have a few minor rule questions as well, but the reinforcements seem impossible to overcome.

Advice?

Unless you are ready to lay down a load of fire
Avoid high hostile locations like the Large Warehouse.

Look to having a few low RP squad soldiers - both for their supporting fire and to absorb casualties.

Take a canteen or two - if your PS is SUPP - drink! You may draw a Walk It Off action card or other useful action card or some defensive cards that will help in the next Hostile turn.

Target Priorities:
1/ Officer
2/ Trucks
3/ Sniper
4/ Hostile that does All damage that is in range

The Camoflage Action card is useful to get past Screening, otherwise the Focus skill is useful.
(or just SUPP all the screening hostiles and try to EKIA the high priority targets)

On average you will have 2 turns per location - take your time!
Plan your actions and don't place a location or activate the objective unless you are ready.

If possible - do all your attacking with your Squad Soldiers and Non Player Soldiers - allowing your Player Soldiers to Discard and Draw as well as play cards to maximise the effectiveness of your soldiers actions.
I've played soldiers that have not attacked at all in the mission - their value was the action cards that they played.
Usually my Player Soldiers have a Rifle, perhaps a grenade or two, a canteen or two and that's it..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zack
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Success!

Thank you, sir! I took your advice on Mission and Objective, reconned for a good location (Ruins - 0 rein), and brought along some smoke grenades. McDougall, Scanlan, and Taylor. Was able to suppress the Riflemen and Grenadier to get a shot at the bunker.

(Question: When you fire Scanlan's machine gun on Auto (3 die) does that take 3 ammo?)

I am forever in your debt. Now that I know the game CAN be won, my enthusiasm for it returns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cadwallader1066 wrote:
Success!

(Question: When you fire Scanlan's machine gun on Auto (3 die) does that take 3 ammo?)

Pretty certain the answer is no...it's only 1 ammo and only if you roll the reload # or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ammo

If with any (or all) of the d10 attack dice you roll the Reload number or less - then flip the top ammo counter to EMPTY
(only 1 ammo can be emptied by any attack)

It then takes usually an action to remove that EMPTY ammo counter from the weapons stack.
(Change magazine etc)

When the weapons stack is gone - the weapon cannot be fired

Hint - in long missions make sure other soldiers have weapons that fire the same ammo as the squad LMG - eg M1 rifles and BAR ammo is interchangeable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zack
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is 30-06 and 0.30-06 the same ammo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadwallader1066 wrote:
Is 30-06 and 0.30-06 the same ammo?

Yes

but it is different to the lower power .30 used in the M1 and M2 carbines

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spartan Spartan
msg tools
mb
Hi,
Noticed a comment along the way. As far as I know you don’t take multiple suppression on all you soldiers. You don’t do that on the enemy so in my opinion you only take one shock per player character.

I,e
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartan07 wrote:
Hi,
Noticed a comment along the way. As far as I know you don’t take multiple suppression on all you soldiers. You don’t do that on the enemy so in my opinion you only take one shock per player character.

I,e

Not quite.

You can usually only take 1 Supp from a single hostile attack (except Again could result in multiple SUPP).

A Solider can have an unlimited number of SUPP counters on them - each requiring an action to remove.

"Suppression lock" ie being pinned down - is a great risk in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spartan Spartan
msg tools
mb
So does that work in reverse?

Page 27 of the rules referring to hostiles says..

Each Hostile on a card can only have one EKIA or one Suppress counter. If you inflict a Suppress and all the Hostiles already have an EKIA or Suppress counter, your Attack has no effect.

So each hostile can have only one counter, Ekia or suppression...

Are you positive it’s different with player characters, squad and nps soldiers?

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartan07 wrote:

Each Hostile on a card can only have one EKIA or one Suppress counter. If you inflict a Suppress and all the Hostiles already have an EKIA or Suppress counter, your Attack has no effect.

Mike

G'day Mike,

I'm positive.

While Hostiles may only ever have 1 EKIA/SUPP per reticule
Soldiers can have many.

See page 20 of the rules:
REMOVE 1 SUPPRESS
Spend 1 Action to remove 1 Suppress
counter from your Soldier.
If a Soldier has one or more Suppress
counters on his card, he can only use his Actions to
remove Suppress counters until none remain on his
card. He can also play Action cards that do not
require an Action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
Spartan07 wrote:

Mike

G'day Mike,

I'm positive.

While Hostiles may only ever have 1 EKIA/SUPP per reticule
Soldiers can have many.

See page 20 of the rules:
REMOVE 1 SUPPRESS
Spend 1 Action to remove 1 Suppress
counter from your Soldier.
If a Soldier has one or more Suppress
counters on his card, he can only use his Actions to
remove Suppress counters until none remain on his
card. He can also play Action cards that do not
require an Action.

Spartan,

FYI, David is one of the main developers of the game for DVG and the next expansions. He's "Da Man" if you have questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks modest, but I do make mistakes! blush

I'd like to blame too much playtesting options leading to confusion..
but it is more likely age and a mis-spent youth... shake

I am always happy to answer questions and I'm interested in suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spartan Spartan
msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone. New to the game and really appreciate the support here...
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you might find something useful in the following thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1697640/getting-started-beg...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.