Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: Is there a way to play online with someone you know? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Biff Henderson
msg tools
I'm wondering if there is an online way to play a game of TS with a friend who doesn't live in the same city as me.

Thanks in advance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The app is brilliant.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CanuckCamper wrote:
I'm wondering if there is an online way to play a game of TS with a friend who doesn't live in the same city as me.

Thanks in advance.


Yes, indeed...you simply need to go on-line and know each other's handle/nickname/Username

Cheers,
Joe
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Henderson
msg tools
The Professor wrote:


Yes, indeed...you simply need to go on-line and know each other's handle/nickname/Username

Cheers,
Joe


By "go on-line" do you mean on the (newly discovered) app or is there a site to go to?

I run an iPad Pro 12.9 and a Mac mini so both are options. Is one better than the other?

Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Henderson
msg tools
senorcoo wrote:
The app is brilliant.


There's an app... Hey there's an app!

Thank you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Spessato
msg tools
mbmb
If you want play TS on PC, you need to install Steam, and then purchase the application. It's really well done, AI apart, and, for my experience, without bugs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Henderson
msg tools
hieronymus62 wrote:
If you want play TS on PC, you need to install Steam, and then purchase the application. It's really well done, AI apart, and, for my experience, without bugs.


Do I need Steam for a Mac?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

The app works wonderfully on an iPad. I have both the iPad version and the Steam version, but find myself mostly playing from the iPad. Your friend can own either of those versions, or the Android app, as the game is made to cross platforms.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Henderson
msg tools
DownriverRick wrote:

The app works wonderfully on an iPad. I have both the iPad version and the Steam version, but find myself mostly playing from the iPad. Your friend can own either of those versions, or the Android app, as the game is made to cross platforms.


Thanks for this.

Seeing that the App allows for asynchronous play. Does it notify you when it is your turn to play? Assuming yes, but thought I would check.

Do people have a preference of synchronous vs asynchronous play on the App?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It does. But if you're both online, you just wait a few moments and it will be your turn again shortly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CanuckCamper wrote:
DownriverRick wrote:

The app works wonderfully on an iPad. I have both the iPad version and the Steam version, but find myself mostly playing from the iPad. Your friend can own either of those versions, or the Android app, as the game is made to cross platforms.


Thanks for this.

Seeing that the App allows for asynchronous play. Does it notify you when it is your turn to play? Assuming yes, but thought I would check.

Do people have a preference of synchronous vs asynchronous play on the App?


You’ll see a lot of games in the Game Finder for synchronous games. If you have the available time, it’s a lot of fun. I tend to play almost exclusively async, as it fits my schedule better. The app will update you when it is your turn, both through the app and via the email you use when you set up your account.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Biff,

It appears as though you received a number of excellent responses.

Cheers,
Joe
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Henderson
msg tools
DownriverRick wrote:


You’ll see a lot of games in the Game Finder for synchronous games. If you have the available time, it’s a lot of fun. I tend to play almost exclusively async, as it fits my schedule better. The app will update you when it is your turn, both through the app and via the email you use when you set up your account.


I was playing around with the App last night and didn’t see a toggle for asynchronous play. Is it just a function of choosing a longer time? If so, what time do you usually choose?

Thanks again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually pick 45 days so that we can take our turns leisurely. There is no toggle. The game is asynch by default.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.