John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
University of Utah - Go Utes!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook states that "If a piece leaves the board as the result of any shot, simply place it back on the edge of the board at the point where it left. . . . A piece must always end a shot in a legal location on the board. It will take time and practice to master how to shoot the various discs in the game effectively."

My question is, does this mean that contact with other pieces before a shot leaves the board count? Or do they not count? The rules are unclear to me. I can read this to mean that if you shoot, hit a monster, and both the monster piece and your own hero piece fly off the board, the pieces are both placed back on the board where they left, but the monster will have a damage assigned to it. Is that right? If you pick up a piece that flew off the board and put it back on the board, it will end in a legal location, as the rules dictate.

I can also read this to mean that, as all shots must end in a legal location, this must happen before the piece leaves the board, and if you shoot off the board, it will negate anything that happened prior to that. That seems to be more in line of the spirit of the game, I suppose, but I am wondering if there is a clear answer. I have looked through the forums briefly and not found an answer to this. Would love your input.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Dorpmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first thought is correct. There is no reason why any prior action would be negated after a piece(s) is shot of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything is calculated at the point the flicked disk ends its movement. If it ends off the board, then it's returned to a legal location closest to where it exited the play field. If the disk was a one-time use (arrow, fireball, etc.), it's removed from play and any player/monster disks that were knocked off the board are returned to a legal spot with any damage incurred.

Now, I make a note about final location of the disk. If a fireball hits a monster, flips off the board, and somehow makes its way back on and strikes another disk, both hits are valid. I have seen one bounce off an inactive piece on the side of the board and roll back on to hit another monster before. Ruled it a hit because this isn't the NFL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
University of Utah - Go Utes!
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the responses. Duly noted.

I once sliced a golf swing and the errant ball went out in a road to my right, hit the side of a moving van, bounced back in bounds, and landed on the green. And I gladly accepted the results. Looks like I will do the same in Catacombs.

Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.