United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New blog post from Randall and the gang:

http://dragonfirethegame.com/2018/01/03/never-ever-ever-ever...

(Props to this user for seeing it first)
Jim Adams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

___

I'm usually reluctant to call a game until the final character goes unconscious, precisely because a few different Dragonfire Cards can turn the tide of battle very quickly.

The blog talks about one of them: Dangerous Waters
Neutral on the first turn (because it doesn't do anything)
Awful in the early game because it knocks you down on HP significantly.
Incredibly helpful if it comes out with half the party STUNNED.

Another I like to see show up is 'Fireball'. For two HP, you get to do two levels of damage to every obstacle facing one player. This can wipe out all the tokens and soften up all the obstacles, turning a dire situation into a salvageable one. Like any Dragonfire card, sometimes it comes out at the worst possible time - such is fate.

Reinforcements can also change the field quickly, removing long-standing and difficult to defeat obstacles and replacing them with cannon fodder. Of course, it can do the opposite too, so it's not always appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Stone
United States
Winter Park
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dangerous Waters is the reason my last game ended in a victory. Starting the third round, two of our 6 were going to drop on their second turn. By luck of the cards, and some good play, we saved one of our members from dying and ended the 3rd scene, thus winning the game!

This game is high on epic comeback chances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing a wizard and in a two player game my partner is always upset when fireball comes out. But I just laugh maniacally, so it might be more that than anything else...

It's such a great card early on.

Dangerous waters for us has ultimately come out late game and helped us pull of a win by some quick healing but I love that it just as easily could be fatal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fireball saved my ass the other night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Wood
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
as someone who plays mostly 2p, fireball is invaluable since you almost always have multiple encounters on each player. 2 damage to one of us is nothing compared to burning 5-10 total damage off some encounters, especially if their first levels are "gatekeeper" colorless levels like the gorgon and roper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven LaGorce
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Fireball is great in 6 character games too. If you plan ahead for a cascade of stunned/knocked out characters you can end up with 5+ encounters facing a single character. If you have a Warlock, you can see the next Dragonfire card in the deck and plan accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorski1234 wrote:
Fireball is great in 6 character games too. If you plan ahead for a cascade of stunned/knocked out characters you can end up with 5+ encounters facing a single character. If you have a Warlock, you can see the next Dragonfire card in the deck and plan accordingly.

Warlock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
gorski1234 wrote:

Warlock?

15 XP
Invocation: Eyes of the Rune Keeper

Look at the next Dragonfire card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Principia wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
gorski1234 wrote:

Warlock?

15 XP
Invocation: Eyes of the Rune Keeper

Look at the next Dragonfire card.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing Bodyguards the other day and the 1st DF card was Fireball. Well, all the encounters were clustered around the noble, so guess who got blasted?

Knocking 2 levels off all the encounters made the 1st wave super easy, and there's enough healing around thst the 2 hp off the noble was no big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
I was playing Bodyguards the other day and the 1st DF card was Fireball. Well, all the encounters were clustered around the noble, so guess who got blasted?

Knocking 2 levels off all the encounters made the 1st wave super easy, and there's enough healing around thst the 2 hp off the noble was no big deal.

"Sorry, sir!" (but not really)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.