Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: What accessories/expansions are worth buying? For mostly 2 players. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I put the game on layaway at my FLGS today and I was wondering if anything is worth grabbing beyond the base game? I’m guessing the answer is probably no until I play it a few times first. Also seems the expansions don’t really benefit a 2P game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Zaleski
msg tools
mbmb
Don't have The Wind Gambit, but Invaders from Afar adds two new factions. I haven't played it yet, but I believe those two factions still have different traits from the factions that come in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
Invaders From Afar adds 2 new factions. Nothing really mandatory but it gives you additional options and flavor as each faction has it's own abilities, heroes and mechs.

The Wind Gambit adds in airships and rules for them which allow you to travel faster that traditional game modes. It also adds in resolutions which can change the way you play the game and add an additional layer of options/strategy.

I don't see any reason to wait on getting Invaders From Afar if you want to purchase it, as it just adds 2 new faction options.

You might want to wait on The Wind Gambit until you have a good solid grasp of the rules. That way you have a good base idea of how the game works before you start changing things up.

Personally I went for premium tokens and coins before any expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin De Schutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends how much you like Scythe, I guess. I bought the promo cards, 7 faction dials, the metal coins (which are awesome), the realistic resources and the bigger board.
Also bought the Wind Gambit and have to wait till invaders returns to shop. I’ll buy the big box also...why all This Love? The New expansion coming out late ‘18 is gonna be awesome !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wafflebob wrote:

Do you think they were worth it? I want them, and the coins for Viticulture, but I figured I should play them first before getting them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel See
msg tools
mb
I like the coins. Are they necessary? No. Are they fun? Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E B
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I only ever expect to play the game as a 2 player game. I bought everything that has been offered for the game. I have nothing to compare to playing with more then 2 players, but we both enjoy all the upgrades, promos, and expansions that I have gotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CbusGamer wrote:
I like the coins. Are they necessary? No. Are they fun? Yes!

They are really lovely! I have only played with them. I just finally ordered my own copy and I am guessing I am going to miss the extras, but that is only because I have played with them. Had I not, I probably wouldn't care.

The money is nice to have for other games though, so I think I could justify it on that alone but being low income I went with the Invaders expansion instead of other upgrades. I figure content over bling. Also, I *could* make FIMO resources. I have Charterstone too so I have been thinking about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayynn Rayynn
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:
Wafflebob wrote:

Do you think they were worth it? I want them, and the coins for Viticulture, but I figured I should play them first before getting them.

I got the game, then the coins and the organizer. The organizer made the game setup take less time so it got more play after our kids were down for the night. If you don't like the coins, they're usable in other games so I wouldn't say it's a waste of money. The number denominations are listed on each coin.

I really liked the encounter cards so I got those extras right before invaders from afar. Of what I got, I use it all regularly. I upgraded the encounter tokens to something that was easier for me to spot and locate without rubbing the board.

You can get started with the IFA expansion without changing anything. They can be played as simply additional factions, which is nice and not overwhelming.

I haven't played Wind Gambit yet-- but we own it and I'll add it to the mix after we feel the game needs to be spiced up a bit.

It's a great game! I hope you enjoy it :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rayynn wrote:
SnackeyG2 wrote:
Wafflebob wrote:

I got the game, then the coins and the organizer. The organizer made the game setup take less time so it got more play after our kids were down for the night. If you don't like the coins, they're usable in other games so I wouldn't say it's a waste of money. The number denominations are listed on each coin.

I really liked the encounter cards so I got those extras right before invaders from afar. Of what I got, I use it all regularly. I upgraded the encounter tokens to something that was easier for me to spot and locate without rubbing the board.

You can get started with the IFA expansion without changing anything. They can be played as simply additional factions, which is nice and not overwhelming.

I haven't played Wind Gambit yet-- but we own it and I'll add it to the mix after we feel the game needs to be spiced up a bit.

It's a great game! I hope you enjoy it :-)

Forgot I made this post. So far I got the metal coins, three extra power dials and The Wind Gambit. Basically just went with what a nearby FLGS had. Then I ordered the Legendary Box from Broken Token. I might wait to buy the insert but I’m not sure. I’ll probably get every promo except the different colored coins for 10 and 5. I definitely want to get Invaders and the realistic resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.