Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathijs Booden
Netherlands
Leiden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We got to the final puzzle without any incident, but got completely stumped. Used both hints, called up the solution, still couldn't figure out what we'd been supposed to do.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
This is the puzzle where you have a calendar, an amulet and a page in the demon's book, iirc.

Can anyone explain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Carpenter
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Class of 2012
badge
"There are only two things I love in this world: everybody, and television" - Kenneth Parcell, 30 Rock
mbmbmbmbmb
If you guys got hung up on what we got hung up on, it's the calendar that is an issue.

You probably got the word Temperance from one puzzle but than didn't know what to do with it. You probably noticed that Temperance is one of the Tarot cards (card XIII), but didn't know how you were supposed to interact with the Temperance card on the calendar. What you were supposed to do is just take card 8 from the deck. It's not very clear at all.

Once you have Card 8, the final puzzle actually makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathijs Booden
Netherlands
Leiden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We had no trouble figuring out
the word Temperance and picking card 8

It's the puzzle after that that we didn't get.
IIRC, you're down to cards 8, 82 and 92 at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Appeal to Reason wrote:
We got to the final puzzle without any incident, but got completely stumped. Used both hints, called up the solution, still couldn't figure out what we'd been supposed to do.

This is the puzzle where you have a calendar, an amulet and a page in the demon's book, iirc.

Can anyone explain?

THUS SPEAK is in reverse, and 666 is black/white/black. The amulet is )O(. The calendar shows numbers for a black ), a white O, and a black (, which would give you 1815. Speak that in reverse for 5181. That's the final code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same problem on the final puzzle. I feel like these companies are at times trying to be too clever at times when it is not necessary, making otherwise enjoyable experiences a little less enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this as my first Unlock game because the girl at the store told me it was easy level.

I came to the forum because most of the game was pretty good but the ending feel flat. We did not realize that we were on the last code. There was still a lot of cards left in the deck so we keep thinking we were missing something because there were no puzzle pieces that fit together. We got help from the app, first two hints did not really help. Finally gave up and looked for solution. It made no sense at the time and it ended the game. It was very disappointing. We were able to recreate it after the fact but both agree, my wife and I, that we would have never figured it out because the riddle seemed very different from the flow of the rest of the game. Are the other Unlock games like this or is this a bad scenario.

I am kind of sad because my wife loves these escape games but hated this. At this point the Exit games are a superior experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
sookebc123 wrote:
oaklandsberg wrote:
We had the same problem on the final puzzle. I feel like these companies are at times trying to be too clever at times when it is not necessary, making otherwise enjoyable experiences a little less enjoyable.

Exactly. This final solution needed an additional hint on the cards. We didn't think of the devil speaking in reverse at the time or speaking in reverse to speak with the devil or whatever it is. Really silly.

We figured that one out pretty quickly, but it took us some trial and error on how to implement the solution:

Remember the fluff you read in the beginning. It seems some kids used the Necronomicon to summon a demon. Now why would I do the same thing as they did when I want to get rid of the demon? We quickly decided that, to banish the demon, we would have to conduct the summoning ritual in reverse. We tried inverting the colors first (so white/black/white), but after that, there wasn't really much more else to do backwards.

We got stuck on the month puzzle and did not realize that the solution does not follow the regular game mechanics, though, until I randomly threw my hands in the air, said "whatever" and just took the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg G.
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the theme and most of the game. The ending came very suddenly though and didn't feel satisfying. It would have been better if I knew the book was the last puzzle in the game. Overall, I'd rate it a strong 8.

So far the most awesome final puzzle was in "The Tonipal's Treasure" but prepare for several extremely quirky puzzles along the way. If you thought "The House on the Hill" had weird or off-putting puzzles then you are in for a big surprise in Tonipal's Treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathijs Booden
Netherlands
Leiden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. Spoilers below.

Having now played six of these Unlock adventures, I think it's safe to say they're a mix of parts where you get in the flow and have fun combining cards, seeing clues and whatnot, and then some bits where you just get stuck and no solution presents itself.

This final puzzle is a particularly egregious example, where we and, I'm relieved to see, some other players on this forum had no idea even after seeing the solution.

We had a similar experience at the end of the Dr. Goorse Island set (looking for totally unobvious numbers), Squeek and Sausage (the barcode, when we'd left the box behind in order to save space on vacation...) and Tonipal (the voodoo doll, and something else I don't remember.

So far I've had the most enjoyment with these games being the GM when my kids play them. Having played them once I can iron out all the wrinkles and they really enjoy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sookebc123 wrote:
oaklandsberg wrote:

Exactly. This final solution needed an additional hint on the cards. We didn't think of the devil speaking in reverse at the time or speaking in reverse to speak with the devil or whatever it is. Really silly.

Reverse reasoning:

The “speak thus” in reverse was the clue to reverse the numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rominio Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
I honestly have to say that after having played the first box, this is the first time I am really sad about this game. Explanations below:

For the final puzzle the entire rules of the game are being thrown over board The 2 cards that form the "temperance" do not add up to any number that would guide to a card. Why do they have a red and a blue number on them at all? This is very confusing and prevented me for at least 5 minutes of even thinking they need to be connected despite the obvious color similarities.

Than the word "temperance" can be found on the tarot cards card but it was NEVER EVER before the case that one should take a card from a grey card based on roman numbers. How on earth would anyone think "ok, now I need to take number 8"? Really, really sad to ruin the last puzzle with this illogical thing.

Anyway: the way to this final puzzle and the other scenarios are great. Buy this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud Hermans
Netherlands
Voorhout
flag msg tools
mb
We were also quite stumped by the last puzzle.

How did you guys get to the word Temperance? Even after finding the code we couldn't reverse engineer the code, wich was quite frustrating... The rest of the puzzles weren't that much of a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Downin
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Knakker wrote:
We were also quite stumped by the last puzzle.

How did you guys get to the word Temperance? Even after finding the code we couldn't reverse engineer the code, wich was quite frustrating... The rest of the puzzles weren't that much of a problem.

The card with the table of letter pairs in different colors had a symbol out in front of each row. If you noticed, the symbols all corresponded to one of the five human senses.

If you then referred to the picture of the human body with the pins stuck in it, you could see that the pins stuck into the "home" of those senses (eyes, ears, etc) had colored pin heads. The color of the pin head corresponded to the color of the letter pair you used on the letter pair card for that particular sense.

From top to bottom the letter pairs were

TE
MP
ER
AN
CE

That leads you back to the card with the tarot cards on it. Temperence is identified with the number VIII on it, which you need to infer means "pull card number 8" which then gives you the calendar page.

Interestingly, Temperance is actually card XIV in a real tarot deck, which I feel I should have noticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. Miller
United States
Napa
California
flag msg tools

Rominio wrote:
I honestly have to say that after having played the first box, this is the first time I am really sad about this game. Explanations below:

For the final puzzle the entire rules of the game are being thrown over board The 2 cards that form the "temperance" do not add up to any number that would guide to a card. Why do they have a red and a blue number on them at all? This is very confusing and prevented me for at least 5 minutes of even thinking they need to be connected despite the obvious color similarities.

Than the word "temperance" can be found on the tarot cards card but it was NEVER EVER before the case that one should take a card from a grey card based on roman numbers. How on earth would anyone think "ok, now I need to take number 8"? Really, really sad to ruin the last puzzle with this illogical thing.

Anyway: the way to this final puzzle and the other scenarios are great. Buy this game

That is a perfect explanation of what messed us up, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Just played this with two other players new to the series. We had lots of fun right up until we faced the same situation as the OP.

For some reason, it didn't strike us to simply reverse the 4-digit code. It didn't help that the first hint for card 8 suggested to "find the words to be pronounced". This led us to think that the words on card 8 (Eirabal, Andax, Varcar) were of importance instead.

In retrospect, the second hint for card 82 explicitly states to reverse the 4-digit code, but we didn't take that hint.

As for the tarot puzzle, the confusion that a few players face is also present in the first series.

There is a puzzle in The Formula involving red and blue cards which cannot be added up directly, but rather hints that the clues are related somehow. While the rules state that red and blue cards can sometimes be combined, it is understandably a major source of confusion.

In The Island of Dr. Goorse, solving an early puzzle on a grey card results in a number, prompting players to reveal that particular numbered card. Again, this is only vaguely referenced in the rulebook - "Each time players see a number or a letter on the room card or any other card, they must take the matching card from the deck and reveal it".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
Appeal to Reason wrote:
Having now played six of these Unlock adventures, I think it's safe to say they're a mix of parts where you get in the flow and have fun combining cards, seeing clues and whatnot, and then some bits where you just get stuck and no solution presents itself.

I think this is a good thing. This helps simulate the pacing of escape rooms, which is what the Unlock! experience is all about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.