Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurtis Schofield
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules section on National Will does not make it clear whether the calculation each turn is cumulative or does it reset to zero each time. I am assuming it resets to zero at the beginning of each calculation.

For example (simplified for clarity):
Turn one - battle of Cer is a defeat. All other things being equal, the national will marker is set to -1.

Turn two - no battles. If we assume a reset to 0, then the national will remains at -1. If the intent is for a cumulative calculation, then the national will declines to -2.

If the rule is intended to assume cumulative calculations, then this game will end very quickly most of the time.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing it correctly.

At any moment in time National Will is calculable from the current game state. Wins minus defeats minus Flag losses minus minorities in revolt.

PLB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Schofield
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you PLB. I was hoping that to be the case. This game is hard enough to win as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gallopingghost2 wrote:
The rules section on National Will does not make it clear whether the calculation each turn is cumulative or does it reset to zero each time. I am assuming it resets to zero at the beginning of each calculation.

FWIW I believe this is covered in 11.0:
Quote:
Procedure
Add up the number of markers in the Victories box. From that value, subtract the number of markers in the Defeats box, the number of ethnicities in Revolt, and the number of Strategic Sites controlled by the Allies (see 7.7) at that moment. Ignore markers in the Stalemate box. Place the National Will marker in the corresponding box on the Austro-Hungarian National Will track

"The corresponding box" in which you place the marker is the box with the number which you just calculated (i.e. victories - defeats - revolts - strategic sites controlled by allies).

(For the alternate (cumulative) interpretation, I'd expect other wording, e.g. "move the marker that many spaces from its current box" or some such.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Schofield
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for commenting. That's the way I read it too. I just wanted to see if others out there interpreted it the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.