Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Bunch
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the most recent e-newsletter from Stonemaier Games ([geekurl=http://mailchi.mp/stonemaiergames/tyuol1szw3-2986317][/geekurl]) Jamey put out a new printing request form ([geekurl=https://stonemaiergames.com/about/future-printing-request-form/][/geekurl]). But, the most interesting thing that caught my eye was the possibility of a future release of ALL METAL MECHS! There is only one photo that was uploaded.

At first glance, I immediately thought that I have to have them. I am still leaning into the idea that I would probably get them, but I wanted to ask the community for some pros and cons.

My initial thoughts are as follows...

PROS...
1. Feel: They look hefty and would probably feel great and give even more tactile engagement. (I know this isn't a big deal for many people, but the tactile nature of a game really helps me with to build an immersive experience so this is a big PRO for me.)
2. Visual: They would offer even more table presence to the most beautiful game that I own. From the initial photo provided by Stonemaier, they appear to have much more texture to them. (And, if I am being honest, this game is just as much about art to me as it is about the great gameplay, so this is a huge PRO for me.)
3. Pairing: They would pair well with the metal coins. (Not super important, but is a definite PRO.)

CONS...
1. Pairing: I am wondering if having metal mechs would make the plastic character pieces look cheap and pathetic in comparison. (This is not a huge deal for me, but I can see it being potentially jarring to see one that is super detailed metal and the other that is a normal mini.)

Possible CONS: (I would need to know more information before really getting a sense of whether or not these things would be a problem.)

1. Custom Inserts: I am planning to purchase a custom insert that will fill up my Legendary Box once all of the specs for Rise of Fenris are released and the third party insert folks can get working on it. However, I am concerned that these metal mechs wouldn't fit. It appears that they will not have bases, so Meeple Realty's 'Scythe Factory' wouldn't work. But, if they are roughly the same size, I think they could probably still fit into the insert from Daedalus Productions or The Broken Token. However, if they are much larger, they will not fit into the insert and would therefore

2. Painting: I know very little about painting. I am planning to have someone paint everything for a commission once I receive Rise of Fenris. I am not sure if paint would look good on the mechs or not. I am not sure if I would want to paint them. Does anyone out there have any experience painting metal minis? Or does anyone have any 'advice' about this hypothetical concern about an unreleased and possibly never to be released product?

I would be very interested in hearing your PROS and CONS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cons: Expensive and unnecessary as you already have metal ones.

Pros: Would look awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
While not needed I would still upgrade to them. I really like scythe and have all the extras already so I would continue to support it.
Just give us metal Airship miniatures as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Bunch
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brendan,
You are right that they would be expensive. Jamey did say that they would be priced between $80-$100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladvonbounce wrote:

+1 (But my mechs are plastic)

Quote:
2. Painting: I know very little about painting. I am planning to have someone paint everything for a commission once I receive Rise of Fenris. I am not sure if paint would look good on the mechs or not. I am not sure if I would want to paint them. Does anyone out there have any experience painting metal minis? Or does anyone have any 'advice' about this hypothetical concern about an unreleased and possibly never to be released product

But But But The mechs would look awesome as bare metal. Certainly the photographed one does. At most I think a faction ID or maybe some rust in places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Bunch
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
While not needed I would still upgrade to them. I really like scythe and have all the extras already so I would continue to support it.
Just give us metal Airship miniatures as well.

That is true... I didn't think about the airships. Man, this game is gorgeous and I would love to make it even more spectacular with all metal military units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Bunch
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
Vladvonbounce wrote:

+1 (But my mechs are plastic)

Quote:
2. Painting: I know very little about painting. I am planning to have someone paint everything for a commission once I receive Rise of Fenris. I am not sure if paint would look good on the mechs or not. I am not sure if I would want to paint them. Does anyone out there have any experience painting metal minis? Or does anyone have any 'advice' about this hypothetical concern about an unreleased and possibly never to be released product

But But But The mechs would look awesome as bare metal. Certainly the photographed one does. At most I think a faction ID or maybe some rust in places.

I think you are right about not painting the metal mechs. But, I also really like your idea of faction IDs. If they were to make metal airships also, it they would have to have some kind of ID because they are identical aside from their color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
According to the future printing request form, the metal mechs will cost $80-100. I don't know about others, but while I think they'd be neat (and thus want a FRIEND that will have them), I also think they are a bit too pricy for me.

Edit - I took a long time looking up how to format a link on here and am now behind the times...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
PROS :
- *CLUNK* goes the mech
- (If single-piece) the mechs would not likely have deformity issues with the bases/arms etc

CONS :
- This box is already stupid heavy
- I already painted my plastic ones metallic
- Could bounce around the box and damage other components
- Ever dropped a metal mini on the floor? you might be permanently bending an arm/denting it or cracking a tile, or both
- (If multi-part) ever seen the bottom of someone's D&D minis case? it's full of little bits that have fallen off the minis that constantly need to be reglued, arms, weapons, heads, cannons from the top of the mechs. Multi-part metal minis require more care when travelling/handling.

PAINTING :
- Not really any difference from the plastic ones when painting but you would likely encounter chips more easily if two mechs tumbled together in the box.
- Probably going to want a foam tray for the mechs in the box that secures them and keeps them from jostling into other things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
All that said, I wouldn't mind getting one of each Mech in a slightly larger format for decoration on my game shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Werness
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would hope the metal would be colored by the faction color to make it easy to see on the board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solorender wrote:
I would hope the metal would be colored by the faction color to make it easy to see on the board

The metal wouldn't be colored, but the bases would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
MASK Crusaders... working overtime... fighting crime... fighting crime!!! Secret Raiders...
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal mechs - they look cool but I probably wouldn't buy them for $80.00
I'd rather own a new game for that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let you all know, I agree that the price is really, really high. The cost to make a full set of metal mechs is incredibly expensive (more than it costs to make 2 full copies of Scythe). I wish I could offer a lower price, and I'm not even quite sure how I'll do it for $80-$100. If they end up costing, say, $45 to make, if I wanted to sell them via distribution, that would put the MSRP at $225, which is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Just to let you all know, I agree that the price is really, really high. The cost to make a full set of metal mechs is incredibly expensive (more than it costs to make 2 full copies of Scythe). I wish I could offer a lower price, and I'm not even quite sure how I'll do it for $80-$100. If they end up costing, say, $45 to make, if I wanted to sell them via distribution, that would put the MSRP at $225, which is ridiculous.

Honestly the cost doesn't seem high, it's just more than I think I'd want to pay when I already have rather good plastic minis. If we were upgrading from Cardboard tokens/standees or such I might be more interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Honestly the cost doesn't seem high, it's just more than I think I'd want to pay when I already have rather good plastic minis. If we were upgrading from Cardboard tokens/standees or such I might be more interested.

The cost is probably reasonable for what they are. But USD80 is too high for me to pay. By the time I figure in freight and currency conversion that $225 is probably about right even if no distributor is involved. Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I feel like these will be scalped badly. Which is going to suck. Probably should have a limit on how many can be ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Bunch
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning to get them, even if they are $100. I would love the bling out my Scythe even more, and these look so incredible. I really hope that this becomes a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg: So you think people would buy a bunch and sell them at greatly inflated prices on the secondary market? I would prefer to make as many as people want so that doesn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Greg: So you think people would buy a bunch and sell them at greatly inflated prices on the secondary market? I would prefer to make as many as people want so that doesn't happen.

Definitely. Games by themselves are sold at awfully inflated prices when sold out. I see people buying these just for the purpose of making money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our general philosophy is that if there's enough demand for us to make more of something, we'll make it, so we haven't run into this issue yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lasttruegypsy wrote:

2. Painting: I know very little about painting. I am planning to have someone paint everything for a commission once I receive Rise of Fenris. I am not sure if paint would look good on the mechs or not. I am not sure if I would want to paint them. Does anyone out there have any experience painting metal minis? Or does anyone have any 'advice' about this hypothetical concern about an unreleased and possibly never to be released product?

Don't worry - metal is better and easier to paint, and holds far more detail than boardgaming plastic (wargaming plastic is on a par, and resin better yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably won't buy these considering I just purchased a second set of plastic minis to paint...

Would I have bought these had I not just purchased a second set? I don't know. I don't like working with pewter minis when painting, but the heft would be nice I suppose.

I'd have to think for a while (again assuming I hadn't bought a second set already), but I'd be leaning in the "no" direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
I said on the form that I probably wouldn't buy them, but that may have been more of an attempt to convince myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Parsons
United States
Spring Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Jamey...I'm all in friend😉
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.