Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I know this subject has been beat to death, but there are 8000 threads to traverse and I was looking for a quick pro/con. I plan on playing with three to four people and will also buy expansions/adventure packs.

Apart from the additional threat trackers and progress tokens I would get from the core set, do I need a second core set to supplement the decks if I am buying expansions and adventure packs?

Thank you for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need? Nah. The other stuff will give you plenty of cards to build decks around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with 3-4 people, a second set is mandatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how many expansions you're getting, you likely won't need a second core. BUT, there are a couple staple cards in the core set that you might want extra copies of to increase your chances of success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
Apart from the additional threat trackers and progress tokens you don't even need a single Core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're trying to support 3-4 people with just your collection, you should get 2 cores. Both for the components and the ability to include good cards like Gandalf, Feint, Test of Will in multiple decks. You don't *need* it, but I would recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group of four played for almost one year with only one core set.
It worked fine - we had a blast.

We only broke down and picked up a second core set when we exhausted the first and second set of adventure packs. We play the adventures chronologically according to release date.

Into Ithilien, the second scenario of the Heirs of Numenor expansion, is what triggered the move. That was just unbeatable with what we were able to pull together in our four decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Depends how much you value the one-ofs and two-ofs in the core set. In my case I play one or two-handed and am glad I have two core sets. I'm actually considering a third core at some point due to the one-ofs (and the two-ofs that I wish I could sometimes run 3x in each deck two-handed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoyan Taskonidis
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am against, but ........ have two Core sets!

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Woodley
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan. Dice laugh
mbmbmbmbmb
You are likely to want extra copies of core staples such as Test of Will, Gandalf, Dwarven Tomb, Horn of Gondor, The Galadhrim's Greeting, Steward of Gondor, Sneak Attack, Feint...

I proxied a bunch of these because I wanted to keep multiple decks active at the same time. Later on I found a second core for a good price and I don't regret picking it up. I only play the game solo and 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're supporting 3-4 players out of your card pool, you definitely want two core sets.

If you're only supporting yourself and playing with other players who have their own card pool, then a second core set is just a luxury. I have a second core set and don't regret it, but I would never recommend getting a second core set *instead* of spending the same money on Deluxe or Saga or APs. It's nice to have a third copy of some great cards (or second copy in the case of Unexpected Courage or Dwarven Tomb) -- but that doesn't compare with the value of getting 3x of a whole bunch of new cards and new quests to play as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 3 to 4, a 2nd core is a no-brainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Harzer
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
"That German Bloke"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing it solo and had no need for a 2nd core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the quick responses. You've given me a lot to think about. I currently have two Core sets, but will weigh all the responses back and forth before I decide to give my casual gaming friend the other core set (minus the threat trackers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, I just had to have 3 of the "one ofs" so I picked up 2 core sets on consignment sales at my local store, I set one of the 6 trackers up back wards (gray sides out) and use it for the times when you need to track things like city strength or Frodo's life points etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etemenanki
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
LoTR Fan!
badge
J.R.R. Tolkien Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
At the beginning no, but when you have got so many expansions, sure, you like everybody else, will buy a second core set. It's a typical procedure for a game fan, almost everybody fall heads over heels for it.

Of course, I've got two core sets, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninam wrote:
you like everybody else

Not me! Still happy with my one set. With the local prices of a core there's always something else worth buying instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etemenanki
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
LoTR Fan!
badge
J.R.R. Tolkien Rocks!
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
Ninam wrote:
you like everybody else

Not me! Still happy with my one set. With the local prices of a core there's always something else worth buying instead.

Well, actually, I wanted to say "the most" or "almost everybody else" but it doesn't matter.

At the beginning, I was against, too. I also used to play with proxies, but when you get so many cycles and all saga boxes, nightmares, thousands of sleeves, etc... After you have spent so much money for a years, a second core box no seems than expensive, yet...

This is my favourite game and my top solitaire game, too. I think to play this game for decades. It doesn't matter if I spend a little bit more on it. If you play a ton of hours, it's well used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.