Subject: One Shade of Gray rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
Ion was good because my daughter's favorite game is Sushi Go and it is very similar. It is bad because we already have Sushi Go and it's not sufficiently different. The game itself is a little less harsh it seems, since the difference between the high scorers and low scorers isn't as large as Sushi Go. It adds a little complexity by adding several ways to get bonus points and that mitigates the luck of the draw. It removes complexity because you can complete sets in more ways which also mitigates the luck of the draw. You'd think that mitigating the luck would make the game more skill based but it doesn't because completing sets is so easy that there isn't much skill involved. The tokens make it even easier to complete sets, at the cost of a few points (different for each player for some reason, and unknown until you use the tokens). Everyone gets roughly the same score every round.

The card backs are all gray. The tokens are gray on both sides. The box is gray. Everything is gray except for parts of the card fronts. And it's all the same shade. The compound cards should at least have a different back in some way other than the word so that you don't mix up the two decks so easily. You don't need new art, just a darker/lighter shade of gray or some color. Same with the tokens, the front and back are too similar.

The grayness is the best way of describing the game. It doesn't have big highs and lows, nothing really stands out, it's not bad or good, it is just adequate. Even the educational part is a bit bland, you might learn a little about chemical bonding and the common name for those chemicals, but nothing all that exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coveyou
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I appreciate the time and thought that you put into this and I will definitely take all of this into consideration on my next game. I'd love to do a redesign of Ion some day as well :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
Too much people on Earth. Nihilism is the true path.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Even the educational part is a bit bland, you might learn a little about chemical bonding and the common name for those chemicals, but nothing all that exciting.

As educational tool, at home, between father and son, I will agree... educational aspect of Ion is a bit bland. As a tool for the chemistry teacher in my 4th grade of ESO class (students of 15-16 yr), Ion is a wonderful tool, used as a support to regular teaching. The game has insert a lot of concepts that a good teacher can use in his advantage, and the student learn them almost without noticing.

For some fun after a familiy dinning, go for Sushi Go, for some fun in classroom, go for Ion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.