Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are people using to organize the map tiles? I’m going to be using the YASS system when my game finally arrives. But I’m hoping for a nice storage/organization system for the map tiles. I don’t care if it’s in the box or separate from the game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Previous threads have suggested using a expanding file folder system that you can buy at stationary or craft stores...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used two gallon-sized ziplock bags (couldn't actually close the bags as the bigger tiles stuck out the top, but still made it easier) which fit everything except the super big tile.

I stacked the tiles in alphabetical order (and numerical order for letters with multiple tiles), and tried to always put them in the bag with their letter-number badge at the top for easier reference.

not perfect, but it was cheap and did the job IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A file folder organized by alphabet is a great way to store the tiles. Cut setup time way down. Without some order, it was always a bit difficult to find the correct tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have examples of the file folder systems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruce ross
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
atomheartmother wrote:
Does anyone have examples of the file folder systems?

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Heavy-Duty-Expanding-Files-L...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pink Rose
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B254OVC/ref=oh_aui_deta...

I bought these. $5 a piece.
Work great. I just put the last 2 (or 3) tiles together. The rest are alphabetized and it makes set up super quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OregonPinkRose wrote:

Work great. I just put the last 2 (or 3) tiles together. The rest are alphabetized and it makes set up super quick.

That is the one I use as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virtually Jason
msg tools
mb
I'm using one of those accordion folders too, which is really nice. I couldn't fit the n* tile in, but that one's nearly as big as the board and so just lives in the box. That left me with 13 letters worth of tiles to fit into 12 sections, but some of the letters have only a tile or two (I put E and F together into a single section), so it worked out pretty well.

I tried to use the YASS solution, but it doesn't work if you sleeve the cards. I ended up using only 2 of the bigger boxes and an alternate layout, so I uploaded my organizer key here in case anyone wants to use it: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/157363/gloomhaven-alterna...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
File folder storage is super quick and easy. I find and put the tiles back in a second or two.

I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B25NN64/ref=od_aui_deta...

Works great, but I don't strap it closet otherwise it rubs/wears the biggest tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OregonPinkRose wrote:

You use just the two?

Has anyone had any issues of tiles warping in these? Apparently, some people were concerned about that happening based on that happening to tiles from other games (Shadows of Brimstone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
OregonPinkRose wrote:

You use just the two?

Has anyone had any issues of tiles warping in these? Apparently, some people were concerned about that happening based on that happening to tiles from other games (Shadows of Brimstone).

The elastic to close it that comes with the folder is tight when all the tiles are in the sleeves so I just stole one of those hair tie bungie things from my GF and tied it to the existing one to extended it. I've not noticed any warping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
atomheartmother wrote:
OregonPinkRose wrote:

You use just the two?

The elastic to close it that comes with the folder is tight when all the tiles are in the sleeves so I just stole one of those hair tie bungie things from my GF and tied it to the existing one to extended it. I've not noticed any warping.

Do you have them all in one or spread them between two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
aflorin wrote:
atomheartmother wrote:
OregonPinkRose wrote:

You use just the two?

Do you have them all in one or spread them between two?

All in one. I actually posted a pic way back. I didn't have the bungie extension on it when I took this pic. The folder comes with some labels for the tabs. I hadn't put those in yet at the time either.

The folder is actually quite handy and speeds up setup considerably.

I also use GMT Counter trays for the standees. Had to expand a couple of compartments to fit some larger standees

And a plano for the tiles. I've since re-org'd these a bit but since the organizer is adjustable, it was easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sands
United Kingdom
Pinner
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amazed at the amount of trouble people go to over the map tiles...

Most if not all of the wooden organisers deal with map tiles by putting them in a big pile, and that's how I store them in my own solution (otherwise the box wouldn't close again).

We did a scenario with six tiles last play, and it still only took about two minutes to find them all! I find the claims of saving loads of time mind boggling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Rasmussen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ciriquen wrote:
I'm amazed at the amount of trouble people go to over the map tiles...

Most if not all of the wooden organisers deal with map tiles by putting them in a big pile, and that's how I store them in my own solution (otherwise the box wouldn't close again).

We did a scenario with six tiles last play, and it still only took about two minutes to find them all! I find the claims of saving loads of time mind boggling.

Same here. I really wouldn't overthink this. Or at least, wait until you really do find you have a problem with this and then solve it.

I just keep them in a more or less unsorted pile. When setting up a scenario I go through the pile and find the tiles I need. I don't think it even takes a minute on average.

You quickly learn to look for the size and shape you need. I keep them more or less grouped by shape in the pile (it just stacks easier that way). So, say the scenario calls for a small corridor tile, I find the four tiles that have that shape and flip them until I find the right one. Maybe ten seconds of work, for one of the four to six tiles used per scenario. The really large tiles take even less.

Writing this is the most thought I've put into this so far.

EDIT: As for where I keep them physically, I have the Meeple Realty insert, so they go in the designated space there. If I didn't, I'd either keep them in the box, or maybe in a separate bag, probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Davitt
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I use a hard hanging file box. They had a huge stack of them at Staples. There's room in the back to toss in the 3-ring binder I use to keep the unlocked shop items and miscellaneous stickers and such. I also have a hanging file for the rules and scenario books. Plus pencil storage in the lid. Works well for me.

(Oh, and in the image below, all the map tiles fit in the box - I don't remember why I left the one sticking out.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Sm
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
The Matrix has you...
badge
I shake your throat firmly, sincerely yours.
mbmbmbmbmb
OregonPinkRose wrote:

I am using same thing and same way - works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for the Amazon Basics file folder. I have each pocket hold all tiles for one letter, and the M and N tiles together in the last section.

A few of the map tiles are just a little taller than the dividers, but the cover flap is loose enough to close over them all. And I too stole a black hair tie from my wife to extend the bungee to keep it closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McGinnis
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Stole this scrapbook supply organizer from my wife, designed to hold 12x12" paper. Fits all the tiles neatly without banging them up. Could no longer find it on Amazon, but here's something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IXWKPNE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sj...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.