Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How do YOU go about choosing games for an upcoming game day? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, are there any new or creative ways that you would recommend for how to choose which games to play on an upcoming game day?

In the past, to chose games we have done:
Alternating choice, where each person gets to choose all games for their game day, and that continues until everyone has had their day. (order of which players get their days in what order has sometimes been chosen by playing a "mini" game such as Tok Tok Woodman, or Monopoly Deal)
or

Anyone can randomly suggest games and then everyone votes on all suggestions. (typically over email)
or

Each person chooses one game, and on the day, we vote on which ones to play first (with some just not getting played, due to time constraints)

Any other suggestions?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
I ask my wife what she wants to play and she says "Let's play game x." Then I say "Oh, I was hoping to play game y." Then she says "Then why did you ask me?"

Life is uncomplicated when you don't listen to what other people say!

Oh, I'm mostly kidding, let's not all get worked up.

There's plenty of threads around here with ideas about choosing games.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lacey Jean
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
My most common gaming group is 2 couples (4 people total who know each other very well). After initially loosing a lot of potential gaming time to voting on games, we established a system that we've stuck to for a couple years now, and works really well for us.

The winner of the previous game gets to pick the next game, and is first player (unless there's a game-related reason for randomizing first player).

We carry this over from game night to game night, so everyone knows who has the first game pick coming up, and it has greatly reduced between-game downtime. Plus, it's a nice, tangible reward for winning a game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I get a lot of mileage out of the BGG random game widget.

Pete (even keeps two other accounts, one with only kids' games and the other with only gamers' games, just for that purpose)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I get a lot of mileage out of the BGG random game EwidgetW.

Pete (even keeps two other accounts, one with only kids' games and the other with only gamers' games, just for that purpose)


What's that!?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
I ask my wife what she wants to play and she says "Let's play game x." Then I say "Oh, I was hoping to play game y." Then she says "Then why did you ask me?"


I think we're both married to the same wife.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
I get a lot of mileage out of the BGG random game EwidgetW.

Pete (even keeps two other accounts, one with only kids' games and the other with only gamers' games, just for that purpose)


What's that!?
Click on your profile. In the very first block (top left), at the bottom of that box, is a link to the widget. You can set up parameters and it gives you the hypertext, and then you can add it to any web site and it will run in HTML.

Pete (has set up several such sites for particular random game selections)
2 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Click on your profile. In the very first block (top left), at the bottom of that box, is a link to the widget. You can set up parameters and it gives you the hypertext, and then you can add it to any web site and it will run in HTML.

Pete (has set up several such sites for particular random game selections)

What the what what now? wowsurprise

Wow... learn something new every day.
Thanks Pete
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April-Lyn C.
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I call it the "choosing which game to play" game. When you have events of 10-25 people, and each attendee brings between five and fifteen games, and then you add in the host's collection which ranges from 0-100+ depending on venue, it gets interesting sometimes... Usually involves a lot of "How about this one?" "Nah. What about this one?" "Ehhhh, only if everyone wants to."

It usually turns out alright in the end though. Except for when no one can agree and the compromise ends up being someone no one really wants to play. lol
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
galatea wrote:
I call it the "choosing which game to play" game. When you have events of 10-25 people, and each attendee brings between five and fifteen games, and then you add in the host's collection which ranges from 0-100+ depending on venue, it gets interesting sometimes... Usually involves a lot of "How about this one?" "Nah. What about this one?" "Ehhhh, only if everyone wants to."

It usually turns out alright in the end though. Except for when no one can agree and the compromise ends up being someone no one really wants to play. lol


I know a gaming group (4 people) that have a system designed specifically to decide what game to play, mostly to avoid the “I don’t know, whatever you want to play” never-ending circle. They play a quick game like Zombie Dice and the loser has to pick the game, winner gets a veto right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Momo
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lacey Jean wrote:
My most common gaming group is 2 couples (4 people total who know each other very well). After initially loosing a lot of potential gaming time to voting on games, we established a system that we've stuck to for a couple years now, and works really well for us.

The winner of the previous game gets to pick the next game, and is first player (unless there's a game-related reason for randomizing first player).

We carry this over from game night to game night, so everyone knows who has the first game pick coming up, and it has greatly reduced between-game downtime. Plus, it's a nice, tangible reward for winning a game.


Cool. Love it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Momo
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
More often than not, I'm invited to a games night, which means the inviter wants to have a games night and needs me to supply the games. I find out who else is invited, decide what I think is best for the group, and bring that one game. They don't like it? Tough. They can start forking out money for boardgames.

;}
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I work out if there's any game I really want to play (be it just because, or maybe one I haven't played yet or just haven't in some time), then I consider what themes it could fall under while looking at a few more games from my collection. Eventually I come up with 3-4 games that fit this theme. I announce the game day with the thematic name. This month is 'From Console to Cardboard' and includes Flip Ships, Tiny Epic Quest, Project: ELITE and Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery.

I don't really care if others bring games which don't fit the theme, but using this method helps me filter down from the starting 200 games I've got to choose from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Roulette.

Winner plays the solo game of his choice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I just show up to a meetup with the games I want to play. Then we see who shows up, if enough of the terraforming Mars crowd shows up they play that. The rest of us all stand around staring at each other for 15 minutes. Then I suggest we play one of my games which no one does.

Then we stand around some more with every game suggested shot down. Until the more terraforming Mars people show up and I end up playing that because I am sick of no one making a damned decision.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I listen to the person who doesn't like Take That, and pick a game that they hate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
I listen to the person who doesn't like Take That, and pick a game that they hate.


Torn between jokes about how meta you are and that Gary Barlow is a very talented writer and this person lacks in taste.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
Then we stand around some more with every game suggested shot down. Until the more terraforming Mars people show up and I end up playing that because I am sick of no one making a damned decision.


I can relate to this N

A few times this has happened to me, in each of those times I ended up by picking a game, sitting down and started to set it up with the intentions of playing it solo if need be (I actually like solo gaming....at home...in my basement), I always ended up with at least one or more players sitting down to play it with me.
#yay4extroverts!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:
Then we stand around some more with every game suggested shot down. Until the more terraforming Mars people show up and I end up playing that because I am sick of no one making a damned decision.


I can relate to this N

A few times this has happened to me, in each of those times I ended up by picking a game, sitting down and started to set it up with the intentions of playing it solo if need be (I actually like solo gaming....at home...in my basement), I always ended up with at least one or more players sitting down to play it with me.
#yay4extroverts!


This is why I try and agree in advance for any gaming session (but especially for my games day). It minimises all the wasted time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My house, my choice. Your house, your choice.
It helps when all members has similar tastes in games.

The only hiccup is one member likes purchasing new games and I'm definitely not a cult of the hype/new/fad du jour kind of gamer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lacey Jean
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
KarpetRydOFunk wrote:
More often than not, I'm invited to a games night, which means the inviter wants to have a games night and needs me to supply the games. I find out who else is invited, decide what I think is best for the group, and bring that one game. They don't like it? Tough. They can start forking out money for boardgames.

;}


lol, that's amazing. I need to start doing that when non-gamer friends say they want to play a game. Too many choices sometimes ends with no one being able to decide, and us not playing at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I prep for 2-3 games based on:
-the number of people I expect
-the actual play time (I ask ahead of time when people "need to leave"
-and what I'm most excited about

I present each, especially if they are new to most people and we vote- or they just have me pick.

We usually lose someone after the first game and I move on to presenting like 2 lighter, shorter, and/or more familiar games.

Sometimes someone has suggested a specific game though (or a theme) and I handle invites and managing expectations based on that.


Ultimately fewer choices is almost always better.





1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh DuJordan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My roommates and I all have our favorites from the shelf, so we can never decide.

So on Saturday, we take my giant D20 and roll it down the stairs, and whatever number it lands on at the bottom, we count through the games on our shelf until we reach the corresponding numbered game.

We actually have more than 20 games, but some are games that need more time than we have/2 player only/too light etc. So we have to decide beforehand which ones are included in the count.

Whatever the game ends up being, that's what we're playing. No arguing, no sudden plans to go somewhere else for the day. We just sit down and start playing.

The nice thing here is that the game also gets crossed off the list of played games, so eventually games that some people like to play more will end up coming up in future rolls.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momo Momo
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
Akado wrote:
I listen to the person who doesn't like Take That, and pick a game that they hate.


Torn between jokes about how meta you are and that Gary Barlow is a very talented writer and this person lacks in taste.


Take That are the shit, and Gary Barlow has written some of the greatest songs. I wouldn't want to play games with this unnamed person.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
A few ways, actually. We will either just agree as a group on what to play or we set up a rotating system where a different person gets to choose every week.

Sometimes what we play is designated by how many/who shows up too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.