J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/03/us/black-confederate-monument-...

Good Gawd this is funny. It's been one of those ante bellum legends, that black folk in the South jes loved dey massuh so much, dey went off to dat whar wid'em.

Not to say blacks weren't, ahem, drafted into the Confederate armies, or that they were initially treated equally in the Union armies, but really, how stupid do these Republicans think the rest of us are? In fact, late in the war (1864), the rebel Congress was debating this very issue, but the measure was struck down after one of their members pointed out that they went to war to keep black people enslaved, but giving them a gun and promising them freedom if they serve ran counter to that whole idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a not very clever game of Gotcha. They imagine that when they put up this monument, or even threaten to put it up, liberals will protest and the conservatives will say "Ha-ha-haaa! You hate black people".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
I think it's a not very clever game of Gotcha. They imagine that when they put up this monument, or even threaten to put it up, liberals will protest and the conservatives will say "Ha-ha-haaa! You hate black people".

It's only dumb until you realize that they're not reaching out to anyone but their own true believers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Lest we forget... It was 4 months ago. So 4 Trump presidency years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The "blacks fought for the Confederacy" is second only to the "slaves liked being slaves and were treated like members of the family" in revisionist bullshittery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was raised with this myth. As it was presented to me as a kid though, black people were't being put into the army. Rather Union soldiers were indiscriminately burning and destroying everything and so (the story goes) black people, even those who were slaves, fought in some cases to defend their homes (read: what little they did have).

I think it's unlikely but possible there is, however grossly distorted, the barest kernel of truth to it in that the Union did burn everything and they did not spare black people. Still slaves having anything worth defending would likely have been an extreme rarity. Then again I've heard for years that many slaves were freed but then essentially abandoned so that they were often merely free to starve.

So black Confederate soldiers? Not so much. Terrified black people trying to survive when even their liberators hated them? Sadly possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.