Subject: Investigator miniature painting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikael Persson
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Hello all,
I recently acquired this excellent game and rediscovered miniature painting. So many things to learn! I still find it hard to not use too thick a paint. Anyone has any tips in that area? Anyway, this is the result so far:

Now onward to the monsters, I just wish the actual models would be of higher quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, my tip would be keep doing what you are doing! They look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They look quite nice !

But you made the sprinter a white girl !?!

I admire your skill.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only realized Rita was black when I read her back story. The illustration doesn't really drive it home.
chicklewis wrote:
They look quite nice !

But you made the sprinter a white girl !?!

I admire your skill.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Persson
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Silly me! I was just looking at the illustration on her card. I did read the backstory a couple of weeks ago, but completely missed it when it came to the painting. That needs to be rectified, thank you for bringing it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MikaelPersson wrote:
Silly me! I was just looking at the illustration on her card. I did read the backstory a couple of weeks ago, but completely missed it when it came to the painting. That needs to be rectified, thank you for bringing it up!

Couple of coats of wash will fix her

If you're new to miniature painting, I commend you. I've not done so in years, but when I did used to paint, my finished products were of a similar quality to yours - and that was after several years of practice!

Do you varnish your miniatures? They look a bit glossy (though that might just be the wash/ink).

I personally don't like varnish and use mat paints. After a wash I also tend to dry brush (Lightly brush each colour with a lighter one to pick out the raised features - with a matt paint to take away the shine of the wash/ink). It is something I picked up in a GW store, from one of their better painters.

Here is a guide (i literally just googled) that might help explain it better than I have!
http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_dr...

I think a bit of light dry brushing (if you have not or don't intend on varnishing them) will benefit your mini's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Persson
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Thanks JS! I did do a little bit of painting around 15 years ago. But I work in a creative field and do plenty of life drawing so I'm exposed to connected disciplines.
No, I haven't varnished these ones yet. I plan on using a mat coat once I'm satisfied with them. The gloss you see I imagine is the washes, I didn't think it would show that much. But applying a drybrush afterwards sounds like a very good thing. Though the drybrushing scares me a bit, I found it could destroy so much work if you weren't super careful. My short experience with it produced stippled highlights or too big blobs of bright colour. But maybe with a bit more patience and less colour in my brush I could get a good result?
Thanks for the link! I believe I have quite a bit of reading to do to get up to speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MikaelPersson wrote:
Thanks JS! I did do a little bit of painting around 15 years ago. But I work in a creative field and do plenty of life drawing so I'm exposed to connected disciplines.
No, I haven't varnished these ones yet. I plan on using a mat coat once I'm satisfied with them. The gloss you see I imagine is the washes, I didn't think it would show that much. But applying a drybrush afterwards sounds like a very good thing. Though the drybrushing scares me a bit, I found it could destroy so much work if you weren't super careful. My short experience with it produced stippled highlights or too big blobs of bright colour. But maybe with a bit more patience and less colour in my brush I could get a good result?
Thanks for the link! I believe I have quite a bit of reading to do to get up to speed.

The key is keeping the brush dry. I found it feels more natural to do rough strokes, think of the drybrush as spots where the light touches (the areas that are higher), it won't be uniform in life, so it doesn't need to be on the mini's either

Look forward to seeing the finished mini's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.