Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got this game for Christmas and we're going over the rules now. So, I just have a couple questions for you players that have played this game many times.

I've read the rules 2 times and I am "wondering"....

When there are tags of plants or energy at the top right of the card, can those "resources" be used to pay for the card cost? OR can you only pay with Mega-credits, Steel and Titanium?

Next question about tags: On the GREEN cards that are face up after you've played it, WHY leave them face up? OR is it to add up the total of tags for the Awards & Milestones VPs at the end of the game?

I also see some "Other" tags (Earth, Microbes, Animals, etc), and I am guessing they will have something to do with some "EVENTS" on cards that I haven't read yet??

What is the point of moving the Generation marker UP?

My Tharsis Republic card does NOT have the "Corporation" word printed. Is that a "known" issue? (not that it is a big deal though)

Thanks!!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only types of "payment" are Mega credits, Steel and Titanium. The other tags are not payment types. Also keep in mind you may use a mix of Steel/Titanium and MC if a card has the right tags.

Green cards are left face up so you can see the tags on them. Having certain tags in play is a prerequisite to play some cards. If you flip through the cards you will quickly see how the tags are required for certain card combinations. Just as an example, the Advanced Ecosystems card requires that you had previously played cards containing at least one plant, microbe and animal tag before you can play the card.

Some cards will grant you bonuses based on the numbers and types of tags already in your tableau.

As for the generation counter, its very important when playing solo because you only get 14 generations, but not really needed when playing 2+ players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When there are tags of plants or energy at the top right of the card, can those "resources" be used to pay for the card cost? OR can you only pay with Mega-credits, Steel and Titanium?

No. those are not 'resourcees' those are tags! Tags interact with other cards of the game. Cards can only be played using MC! Card with building tag can be played using mc and/or steel. Cards showing space tag can be played using mc and/or titanium

Next question about tags: On the GREEN cards that are face up after you've played it, WHY leave them face up? OR is it to add up the total of tags for the Awards & Milestones VPs at the end of the game?

Blue and green cards stay face up, red cards stay face down. Yes, green cards stay face up because of the tags, and for some awards/milestones. Red cards (event cards) after played are turned face down, after played they ignored for almost everything in the game.

I also see some "Other" tags (Earth, Microbes, Animals, etc), and I am guessing they will have something to do with some "EVENTS" on cards that I haven't read yet??

Yes, several cards interact with tags.

If you are drafting or playing solo. Other than that you can ignore this

My Tharsis Republic card does NOT have the "Corporation" word printed. Is that a "known" issue? (not that it is a big deal though)

Sounds like a misprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
JimM wrote:

Tags are never used as payment, but could be necesary to fill a mininum/maximum requirement on cards you wish to put into play. Tags might also be mentioned in the card effects of certain cards, or in milestones or awards.

Steel is used to help pay for cards with building tags only, while titanium is used to help pay for cards with space tags only.

JimM wrote:

Yes, you are on the right track. Green cards are left up because their tags could be required for things like awards/milestones, card requirements or certain card effects you play later ...

JimM wrote:

Yes, that and pretty much same answer as above.

JimM wrote:

In a multiplayer game there is no point really, except informational. For the longest time we didn't keep track. However, lately we've found ourselves doing it. One, it helps keep track of who is first player. Second, it's just kind of interesting to note from game to game in what generation you have finished in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S R
Germany
flag msg tools
JimM wrote:
We got this game for Christmas and we're going over the rules now. So, I just have a couple questions for you players that have played this game many times.

I've read the rules 2 times and I am "wondering"....

No, they cannot. The iconography at the bottom of the steel and titanium spaces on your player sheets indicates, that steel counts as two and titanium as three M€ when playing cards with building or space tags respectively.

Quote:

You do not only need the tags for milestones and awards but also for requirements such as science tags or cards that count tags (like worms #130, satellites #175 or medical lab #207).
By the way, milestones are not claimed at the end of the game, but when someone meets the requirement and pays for them.

Quote:

There are cards that give discounts to certain tags like earth office #105 or trigger effects when playing plant/animal/microbe tags like decomposers #131.

Quote:

It is used as a timer for solo play, but you can use it in multiplayer to determine the direction of drafting cards or the length of the game for comparison.

Quote:

Thanks!!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the top right, the icons listed show what kind of a card it is, ie, what genre it belongs to. All cards can be payed for by mega credits, but if and only if a card has a steel or titanium icon in the upper right, then you may use steel/titanium resources to pay for some or even all of its cost.

Green cards are left up so you may see the tags in the upper right as reference for future cards. For example a card might require 2 Science tags before it can be played (these requirements are always in upper left) ... by having your green cards face up, you can quickly see what icons you have and know if you can play the card. Icons on Blue cards count as well, so those stay face up to activate them, as well as to see their icons.

Earth, Science, Microbes, Plants, Jovian, etc are all genres of tags. Refer to them when playing a card.

Moving the gen marker is only really useful in a solo game (so ive heard, ive never played). To a lesser extent, it is also used to determine what direction clockwise or counterclockwise to pass the cards each round (again, or so ive heard, we do not play with drafting). Should be easy to find in rulebook tho.

My Tharsis also is missing the word at the top...I believe its a known misprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!! These were all great answers and your explanations were very easy to understand. I appreciate that!!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
As I understand, the "corporation" label was removed from the Tharsis card intentionally for the 2nd or 3rd printing, because thematically it is not a corporation (read its flavor text). Attention to detail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Espie
msg tools
mb
DC680 wrote:

As for the generation counter, its very important when playing solo because you only get 14 generations, but not really needed when playing 2+ players.

Most solo players prefer to prepare a deck of 52 cards for the 13 times you need to draw 4 cards, and get the other cards in a main deck.
Less margin for miscount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxyoupi wrote:
DC680 wrote:

Most solo players prefer to prepare a deck of 52 cards for the 13 times you need to draw 4 cards, and get the other cards in a main deck.
Less margin for miscount.

I would HIGHLY recommend doing this. I always forget if I moved the cube or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words you have used have a very specific meaning in the context of this game:

Resource = anything represented by metallic cubes, e. g. steel, heat, microbes, animals.

Event = any red card, also with a downward arrow tag.

Some cards refer to these terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again folks for the clarifications!

Talmanes wrote:
As I understand, the "corporation" label was removed from the Tharsis card intentionally for the 2nd or 3rd printing, because thematically it is not a corporation (read its flavor text). Attention to detail!

Interesting NOTE about the Tharsis Republic card too! That makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:

No, it’s just a misprint. It is a corporation gamewise even If it isn’t one in theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
Talmanes wrote:

No, it’s just a misprint. It is a corporation gamewise even If it isn’t one in theory.

Huh, ok then. I thought I read that somewhere. Maybe it was just somebody's speculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.