Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb
We love the game but found the Marshal to be underpowered in the base game and the first expansion.

Variant:

- If the Marshal moves in the space with the player who has a stolen suitcase (or if this player moves in the space with the Marshal), this player does not take a neutral bullet, but must drop the suitcase on the floor. If the player has more than one suitcases, he drops only one.

Edit: removed a second part which was not necessary and added a precision after a question was asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redox
msg tools
mbmb
Solipsiste wrote:

- The suitcase cannot be stolen as long as it is in the same space as the Marshal.

This rule already exists: since entering the space with the Marshal sends you immediately to the roof, you won't be able to steal the suitcase from the space with Marshal in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
To those in whom the will has turned and has denied itself, this our world, which is so real, with all its suns and milky-ways — is nothing. [A.Schopenhauer]
mbmbmbmbmb
redox wrote:
Solipsiste wrote:

- The suitcase cannot be stolen as long as it is in the same space as the Marshal.

This rule already exists: since entering the space with the Marshal sends you immediately to the roof, you won't be able to steal the suitcase from the space with Marshal in it.

Indeed! I am not sure why I added this, the first part is entirely sufficient and the second part is redundant with the rules. I'll modify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solipsiste wrote:
We love the game but found the Marshal to be underpowered in the base game and the first expansion.

Variant:

- If the Marshal moves in the space with the player who has the stolen suitcase (or if this player moves in the space with the Marshal), this player does not take a neutral bullet, but must drop the suitcase on the floor.

Edit: removed a second part which was not necessary.

I like this rule. What if the player has two or more suitcases? Drop all or one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We have them drop just one suitcase, a bit like when you get punched and have to lose an item. We don't to make it too punishing in order to stay as close as possible to the original, but of course, you can play it as you prefer.

I guess I should have been more precise... I will add the mention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of making the Marshal stronger, but don't think this is the way to go about it. It's already pretty risky to go for the strongbox, and easy for someone to punch it out of your hand.

What if every black bullet in your deck at the end of the game made you lose money?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
I like the idea of making the Marshal stronger, but don't think this is the way to go about it. It's already pretty risky to go for the strongbox, and easy for someone to punch it out of your hand.

What if every black bullet in your deck at the end of the game made you lose money?

Thanks for your message. Actually, the reason why we played this way is not only because we find the marshal underpowered, but also because the suitcase is worth so much. With the variant, the player(s) with suitcase(s) tend to avoid the lower deck close to the Marshal and therefore, have less chances to get more money. As a positive trade off, players without a suitcase feel that while they may not have the bigger prize, they have better chances to grab gems or money bags with the suitcase(s) player(s) avoiding the Marshall and can do so without the added threat of the Marshal grabbing their loot.

Your suggestion is also interesting because it solves the issue of the decreasing importance of bullets as you get close to the endgame. -100 per neutral bullet could be an idea too, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the suitcase is worth too much. It's difficult to get to and there aren't any other treasures in the room. The four actions you spend to get the suitcase(move, sheriff, climb down, grab treasure, not including if you have to climb back on top to escape the sheriff) could be spent just moving into a car and grabbing three treasures worth more than $1000. Also, it's a risky investment considering someone can just punch you to get you to drop it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And also, if no one decides to get the suitcase, then the sheriff is still just as weak as without the variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regards,
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aggghhh, everyone, he's the *marshal,* not the Sheriff!

I'm not sure why the marshal really needs to be powerful outside of the Marshal and Prisoners expansion, where the marshal is an actual player. After all, in the normal game he's just an obstacle. And moving the marshal certainly isn't useless, as he's a moving obstacle that you can't go through and must go around.

He also forces a floor change, which often completely throws off a player's whole turn. That can be a big enough indirect penalty, regardless of whether there is a strong direct penalty.

I understand that the marshal definitely can't stop the bandits from stealing, especially since they players can all move him. But hey, this is a competitive train robbery game, not a cooperative one — the players are more focused on fighting each other than competing against the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.