Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Weaver
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a fair number of BR sessions logged but have always been curious why players aren't allowed to "march" ship and/or sea serpent from one fjord to another. If a separate action from marching ground units I can't see the downside and am considering allowing it in games with experienced players. Curious if there was any feedback on this during playtesting, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From a thematic standpoint it would be cool to move them. I don't think Viking raiders like to stay in one place for too long ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the fact that they are considered in both provinces they are adjacent to is already a benefit that makes that the standard troops don’t have. It only makes sense to limit them in some way... and possibly add the ability as a clan upgrade if there were another expansion or promo made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: Because having different figures with different abilities and restrictions make for more interesting tactical game play as you are weighing the trade offs between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weaver
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carnage994 wrote:
I think the fact that they are considered in both provinces they are adjacent to is already a benefit that makes that the standard troops don’t have. It only makes sense to limit them in some way... and possibly add the ability as a clan upgrade if there were another expansion or promo made.

Would be fun as a clan upgrade. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gert74 wrote:
Short answer: Because having different figures with different abilities and restrictions make for more interesting tactical game play as you are weighing the trade offs between them.

Exactly. It's a chess vs checkers thing. Also, as Eric Bettan said, it's a balancing thing as well. I personally really like how limiting it is. It means you have to be thoughtful about their placement, otherwise you get so excited to place the Sea Serpent he ends up doing nothing and is wasted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKingOfAverage wrote:
gert74 wrote:

Exactly. It's a chess vs checkers thing. Also, as Eric Bettan said, it's a balancing thing as well. I personally really like how limiting it is. It means you have to be thoughtful about their placement, otherwise you get so excited to place the Sea Serpent he ends up doing nothing and is wasted

Yeah it's all about game balance. Without Loki's Dragons and Frigga's Domain ships probably would have been able to march.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Eb
msg tools
mb
We had the same conversation and risen question during our last game these days as well! As our gaming group is very familiar with blood rage as a modern classic, this is interesting both from a thematic standpoint and as a chance to add a further strategic layer into the ships.
What I can realize is that the ships have been excluded from the marching action during the streamlining process of the games development. As marching allows to strictly choose one single area to put figures from and invade into a different location and due to the fact that ships have two present locations basically, this would be a bit of converse as ruleset.
So the ships would need a completely own and seperated 6th "marching ships" action on my point of view to keep things clear. And as the goal of every action point allowance system should be to limit the amount of different base actions as far as possible, the game designers have chosen the way to limit the possibilities of the ships instead of spreading out the amount of available actions in my point of view. And so would I have decided too.
I agree that it is intersting having different figures with different abilities and restrictions, but I´d love to see some clan upgrades for the ships, as ships are not very strategically embedded within the game so far. There are on my point of view very view mechanics and game strategies involving ships. Eather you are going out for those "get points whenever a ship gets destroyed" cards and/or place the ship in the current ragnarok area to help you fullfill those valhalla mission cards during the round, or just ignore ships in the game as those wont provide you with enough options nor points as other cards and strategies would do...

Generally this leads into the wish I have for a couple of months now: Add replayabaility by just inventing another set of cards -> more cards for all three rounds including such clan upgrade cards like "your ships can take part within marching actions" or "pay 2 rage and pick one river zone. Take all ships from that zone and march them into one other zone"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lone Xolf
msg tools
I think it would make ships and the sea serpent too strong if they were march-able. Being able to march from two different provinces while being able to make a deathball with any-other units you may have on that province seems nuts. Also, fjords having a unlimited amount of space is already a huge benefit in their placement, being amount to move to any outer province with a boat seems to lighten the game's tension with unit placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weaver
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loneXolf wrote:
I think it would make ships and the sea serpent too strong if they were march-able. Being able to march from two different provinces while being able to make a deathball with any-other units you may have on that province seems nuts. Also, fjords having a unlimited amount of space is already a huge benefit in their placement, being amount to move to any outer province with a boat seems to lighten the game's tension with unit placement.

Fair points, but I am not talking about combining land forces, only marching ship/sea serpent from one fjord to another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking on this more, it would also add a bit more complication to the rules for this move alone. Currently everything is obviously connected, but with the way the board is, they would have to either design it differently or explain that these are connected via "dotted lines" and that rules and extra complexity would be for this single move.

That being said, I personally am not against more complex rules and this isn't even that complex (depending on gaming group I suppose) - have you house ruled this and tried it out in game? Did it seem "overpowered?" I know the very first game I played with my family my wife got so excited about the sea serpent she plopped it down unnecessarily and it sat there the whole game doing a whole lot of nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weaver
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKingOfAverage wrote:
Thinking on this more, it would also add a bit more complication to the rules for this move alone. Currently everything is obviously connected, but with the way the board is, they would have to either design it differently or explain that these are connected via "dotted lines" and that rules and extra complexity would be for this single move.

That being said, I personally am not against more complex rules and this isn't even that complex (depending on gaming group I suppose) - have you house ruled this and tried it out in game? Did it seem "overpowered?" I know the very first game I played with my family my wife got so excited about the sea serpent she plopped it down unnecessarily and it sat there the whole game doing a whole lot of nothing.

Appreciate the thoughts. This thread was merely musing, I've not tried it yet but may in the future. Most of those I play this game with have a fair amount of experience so adding the rule itself isn't a barrier, but I could see how it may OP the ship/serpent combo especially with any Dragons cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clubcourage wrote:
TheKingOfAverage wrote:

Appreciate the thoughts. This thread was merely musing, I've not tried it yet but may in the future. Most of those I play this game with have a fair amount of experience so adding the rule itself isn't a barrier, but I could see how it may OP the ship/serpent combo especially with any Dragons cards.
I enjoy the discussion That would actually be my worry btw. Perhaps this was tried but they couldn't balance it well, as it does seem natural to allow unless they were for some reason laser focused on simplified rules. If you have a "power gamer" in your group and you try out the house rule let me know if they find a way to use it well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackLife wrote:

In my game, we allow ships (and see serpent) to "march" (navigate)
When loosing a battle involving only your ships, they stay in place.

Being loose during a battle is a very viking thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panon Stormcrow
Brazil
flag msg tools
My group made this exact change to the rules: You may march your ships (as the Serpent is considered to be a ship) paying 1 rage to move it to any other fjord. If you have both the drakkar and the serpent in the same fjord, you can move one or both of them, but they must move to the same fjord. So basically, it's just like a regular march, but independent from the land figures.

We also allow the ship to move to adjacent fjors for battles in the provinces adjacent to the provinces his original fjord counts.

This change in the rules highly increased the ship's value in the game, as it can basically cover half of the outter provices and can be strategically moved if you choose so. Before, the ship was rarely used other then to get it killed, and the serpent was a huge waste of rage, card and moster slot in most cases.

This change not only makes them way more interesting mechanically, but also fits better thematically as one of the biggest advantages of the norse during the viking era were precisely the fact that their drakkar were fast and versatile. The ship should be one of the most important units in a viking army, not a side thing that you ocassionally put on when you need an extra boost of stregh in a provice without unocupied villages or you want it wrecked.

But in order to make this change, we also removed the ship upgrades from second and third era (as we have all the extra components from the expansions and KS, that wasn't a huge problem).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.