Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Walker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So after playing through a bunch of games I think some of my favorite experiences ever have been Euro games. I've played a fair bit of RPGs, Social Deduction, Co-op, and dudes on a map, but the ones that keep me thinking about the game long after it's over are the Euros.

Good examples of games I own: Terra Mystica, Castles of Burgundy, Scythe, Mage Knight, Istanbul, El Grande. Yes, some of these are lighter and not as traditionally-Euro, but the commonalities are that they involve lots of planning ahead, and little direct conflict or "take that" mechanisms. Screwing over other players is more along the lines of blocking a strategy or controlling a resource.

What I'm looking for -

Player Count: 1-5. I have smaller groups, and don't want the games to drag too long between turns.

Play Time: Not so important. As long as the game flow is good and people are engaged, I can play all day!

Weight: Looking for bigger ones! I'm always intrigued by the bigger games that may not necessarily make the top 100, but are favorites among certain groups (like the Heavy Cardboard folks)

Theme: I like fantasy and history. I'm not a gigantic fan of sci-fi or politics. I can get over certain aesthetics if the game play is great, like when I thought I wouldn't like Castles of Burgundy but ended up loving it.

The no-brainers for me are likely the Uwe Rosenberg stuff, which I'm positive I'd enjoy, but a lot of my friends own Agricola/Caverna/A Feast for Odin so I plan on playing over there. I'm also here for suggestions that I haven't thought of yet, or may not get mentioned as often! Thanks much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Creguer
United States
Petoskey
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico, Caylus, Troyes, Manhattan Project are a few suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe check out some games by Vital Lacerda:

Kanban: Driver's Edition, The Gallerist, CO₂, Vinhos Deluxe Edition, Lisboa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kramer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you are into some good games. I might recommend:

Alchemists - Great worker placement and deduction game that does a great job of integrating a smart phone app.
Clans of Caledonia - Along the lines of Terra Mystica but adds a stock and contract component.
Concordia - Great hand management/resource management game with a cool scoring mechanism based on the cards you acquire.
The Gallerist - Heavy worker placement and my intro to Vital Lacerda. A smooth engine of interlocking parts.
Keyflower - Bidding/worker placement that can veer into the meaner side of games I like to play but it's so good that doesn't matter.
Mombasa - Deck building/hand management/area control/stock market and more. It might seem like that's too much to cram into one game but it works.

Of course anything by Uwe Rosenberg, Vital Lacerda, Richard Breese, and Stefan Feld are worth exploring, especially some of the Uwe games you don't mention like Ora et Labora or Le Havre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A bunch of really good suggestions already, let me throw out a few as well:

Lorenzo il Magnifico
Shipyard
La Granja
Village
Yokohama
Great Western Trail

Getting up to 5 players is a little harder:
Age of Steam
Indonesia
Concordia
Keyflower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely look at Concordia. It goes to five players, and is excellent. Also maybe look at Rococo, which also plays five and is a very good game.

There are many great suggestions above. You might look at the games published by What's Your Game, most of which are very good euros. I'd start with Nippon or ZhanGuo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia. Keyflower.

If you're really looking to up the weight: Dominant Species, Food Chain Magnate and 1830.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Issac R.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me about color vision!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Tzolk'in!

The turns are pretty quick and with expansion, it can play up to 5. The expansion adds a lot (such as variable player power, and 'prophecy' element, which can be likened to 'scoring tiles' of Terra Mystica, so people have a common goal and/or plan ahead for future tiles), and I recommend it, also.

Viticulture is not as heavy, but I really love the theme. You should try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Near and Far
Royals
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Alchemists
Village
Viticulture Essential Edition
Imperial Settlers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Concordia, Marco Polo, Viticulture, La Granja, Mombasa, Great Western Trail, Tzolk'in, Yokohama, Troyes, Clans of Caledonia.

I'd also add:

Terraforming Mars (if the space theme isn't a turnoff, it's a great game!

Orleans or Altiplano

Manhattan Project: Energy Empire

Russian Railroads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of ppl made some great suggestions - great western trail, Mombasa, tzolkin, alchemists, anything from Vital Lacerda is a great choice... Nobody mentioned anything from Whats Your Game which is very surprising! These guys make Fantastic euro games!! Some very noteworthy games include Signorie, Madeira (which is a beast!), Nippon, Zhanguo are all great! Zhanguo might be hard to acquire now but its worth it i think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you need Power Grid. It's amazing, I hit on every thing you are looking for.

It looks kinda boring but it really isn't. Power Grid Deluxe: Europe/North America has a misleading name but it has a slidely prittier board than the standard version.

None of then can be played solo though. The two-player game is best in the "deluxe" version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite big, heavy Euros:

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
Troyes
ZhanGuo
Kanban: Driver's Edition
Great Western Trail
Brass: Lancashire
Yokohama

This one isn't necessarily one of my favorites yet, because I haven't played it enough. But...

The Colonists

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.