Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently noticed a post where someone mentioned that Lord of the Rings was easier with 2 players.
Having lost to it many times, and beaten it a few, I've always had the idea that it was easier with more players, as has everyone else I have played with.
Now matter how many players you have, you must always draw an event tile before playing cards. You may then play two cards.
However, with only two players you will run low on cards while not getting as far as you do with more players, since the more players there are the more cards are in play.
While it may be harder to get enough life tokens, if you lose some players you are back to a 2 player game and in the same position that 2 players would have started in.
Can anyone enlighten me as to why two players would be easier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:Easier with few players or more players?
StormKnight (#31552),

Two players have an advantage in needing to focus less on sidetracks to get lifetokens and in having a higher concentration of shield points, making Gandalf more readily available. In a two player game you should use nearly every Gandalf card available to you, whereas with five players you will usually see only half get used.

I do find having fewer hobbits to be more challenging overall, but that may just be a function of how we approach the game as a whole.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight (#31552),

It depends on what expansions are being used. In the Sauron expansion, I find 2 players harder, since side paths become more important. In the regular game, however, I find 2 players easier than 5 (though 3 players tends to still be the easiest), since you can sprint down the main path a lot more often, avoiding nasty events. Additionally, the "each player" tasks are also less nasty with fewer players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.L.A.
Spain
LA BAÑEZA
(LÉON)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight (#31552),

If you don´t count Elrond (and the starting cards) the number of cards in play (sum of all players) are the same with any numbers of players. Maybe LotR is more easy with 3 players because they has more cards to play thanks to Elrond than with 2 players and exist 3 tokens of live, sun and heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Quote:
D0NK1J0T3 wrote:
If you don´t count Elrond, the number of cards in play are the same with any numbers of players. Maybe LotR is more easy with 3 players because have more cards play in Elrond than 2 players and the are 3 tokens of live of sun and heart.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying. THere are not an equal number of cards in play for any number of players. Every player in the game brings extra hobbit cards to the total resource pool at the start of the game, as well as extra cards for every event that gets cards dealt to every player.

Also, though there are limited life tokens, with more players there are more hobbits to spread corruption around. The greatest difficulty with more players is getting a concentration of shields with one hobbit so Gandalf can be called.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.