6 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Spec Ops are really good, guys! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Hendry
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So yesterday some friends and I played a game of TI4 and I wanted to share with you guys some of the stuff that happened.
Players:
Me: Federation of Sol
S: Yin Brotherhood (+2TG)
C: Xxcha Kingdom (+4TG)
M: Ghosts of Creuss (+2TG)
A: Universities of Jol'Nar

Overview by faction:

Federation of Sol started in a resource starved part of the board; thankfully my closest neighbour was the Jol'Nar who had no interest in an early fight and the Yin who had richer pickings close to home. On the second turn I kicked The Yin off Mecatol Rex immediately after they spent the influence to take it (good thing, as I didn't have enough influence in my entire empire to do the same) and planted 6 Spec Ops I down on the planet which would live there for the rest of the game. The rest of my strategy revolved around not being a threat in space, but keeping whatever I took using my superior ground forces and basic PDS to prevent bombardment. By endgame I only had one fleet which I sent through a gravity warp to bypass the Yin's defences and grab their homeworld for the win (2 point public objective), while fending off attacks on Jord and Mecatol Rex with Spec Ops II and PDS.

The Yin Brotherhood had a strong start, but made two miscalculations by taking Rex with a fleet that was susceptible to mine and then sending their flagship and a small fleet to win a battle against the Jol'Nar; the latter cost them 14 resources when they blew up the Van Hauge hoping to win the battle (we classed it as a draw, because everything died). They never really recovered from these two setbacks and eventually lost their homeworld on the last turn.

The Xxcha had a consistently strong fleet, which they never really used. They had a strong production capability due to being trading partners with the Creuss but after their initial expansion they stalled somewhat. They tried to take Mecatol Rex on the last turn, but didn't have the manpower.

The Ghosts of Creuss had a strong early game, starting a trading partnership with the Xxcha which made each of them a lot of money and building two PDS and their flagship in order to ape the XXcha flagship's abilities. However, during the third turn, a vote came up which was voted against, resulting in every ship in a system with a wormhole being locked in place. This meant that the Creuss effectively lost an entire turn of menacing the Jol'Nar and Federation of Sol with their impressive fleet. They ended up being dead last, primarily because of this effect.

The Jol'Nar did what the Jol'Nar do: they researched hard. In the early game, they had a trading alliance with the Federation of Sol, but that went by the wayside after I took Mecatol Rex. He was extremely strong in the midgame, and was points leader going into the last turn, but he passed bizarrely early and was thus unable to contend for the win.

Narrative of game:

The first turn was taken up by the usual scramble for planets; Yin played the Tech card very well by stalling until most of the rest of the table had passed, thus denying us such valuable first-turn techs as Gravity Drive, while Creuss and Xxcha forged their trade coalition which remained intact for the entire game. Jol'Nar and Sol agreed to a peaceful start which worked out well for both of us in the long run.

The second turn brought the opening up of Mec Rex. The Ghosts set up two PDS on Creuss which, in conjunction with their flagship's wormhole promised bad things for the rest of the board while Jol'Nar and Xxcha slowly kept taking planets. Meanwhile the Yin charged onto Mecatol Rex, but were soundly defeated by two Advanced Federation Carriers loaded with troops and fighters before they could make any use of it. The first Agenda Phase didn't provide anything particularly interesting.

The third turn was a good one for Sol: having kept the Speaker token, I was able to choose Imperial and given that anyone could beat me in space over Mecatol but noone could beat me on the ground I didn't need to worry about playing it early. This ensured that I could kill time until the Yin player passed at which point I took a tech speciality planet off them, ensuring I would claim two public objectives that turn. Meanwhile, the Ghosts got into position to attack Mecatol Rex OR the Jol'Nar home planet the following turn and the Xxcha built a sizable fleet which would slowly creep closer to Mecatol over the next few turns. The Jol'Nar, simply sat back at home and claimed resource based objectives. This agenda phase brought out a law which gave me a VP which would be lost if I lost my home system and a law that, upon being voted against, locked down all fleets in systems with wormholes; this ensured a very dull turn for the Creuss player.

The fourth turn was a bit of a breather; knowing that Dreadnoughts would soon be breathing down my neck and not wanting to seem like too much of a threat, I chose construction in order to PDS up Mecatol and Jord, then spent the rest of that turn building my first non-carrier fleet. The Yin kicked me off of the tech speciality planet I took from them the previous turn, then launched a suicide attack on Jol'Nar in search of a secret objective which wiped out 14 resources worth of ships for the Yin and 10 for the Jol'Nar without even succeeding at the objective: the Jol'Nar player was understandably unhappy about this and played several powerful action cards against the Yin player. The Xxcha placed a massive fleet one tile from Mecatol, continue building ships and claimed the speaker token.

The fifth turn was, again, an exercise in maintaining the status quo. No big attacks other than the Ghosts player taking a system off the Jol'Nar in order to blockade a space dock and the Speaker token returning to me.

The sixth turn was also the last. Jol'Nar were on nine points but with no hope of getting the only public objective they hadn't claimed, I was on eight and had claimed Imperial, Xxcha and Yin were both on six and the poor Ghosts were way down at three. The final revealed public objective was to take another player's home system. The Ghosts were obviously completely safe from this, the Jol'Nar and Xxcha had PDS everywhere as well as movement blockers on the way which left only the Federation and Yin homeworld as valid targets. The Ghosts of Creuss launched two big attacks to wipe out the Sol fleet over Mecatol (five Destroyer IIs went and utterly crunched the Advanced Fighters and Carrier that were the entire Sol fleet over Mecatol) in order to soften it up for the Xxcha. Meanwhile, they also attacked Jord with their flagship and a few cruisers which utterly stomped whatever fleet was overhead, but failed utterly against the six ground forces and PDS that were the planet's true protection. In the aftermath of this, the Xxcha fleet finally stomped into the airspace over Mecatol Rex, utterly schooling the five Destroyer IIs and tried to bombard and then invade the planet. However, they had forgotten about Planetary Shield and so had to invade without bombardment from their Dreadnoughts, leading to utter failure. Noone else could reach Jord and I was on nine points after claiming Imperial and so it seemed we would go another round (Jol'Nar had passed and had no achievable objectives), until I realised that the combination of a Gravity Warp and flank speed could get my flagship (with 8 GFs), one dreadnought and two carriers (one with seven fighters, one with four men) all the way to the Yin homeworld. I ran the Warp, lost only four fighters to it and utterly crunched the Yin defences. He tried to counterattack, but the odds were not good and I kept the planet to claim the objective during the status phase.

Summary:
This was my second time playing the Federation of Sol, and I enjoyed how simple your tech path is; I ended up with only three actual technologies in addition to my starting two and three unit upgrades, but it was more than enough to win me the game. I thought about researching the upgraded Space Dock (I only had one throughout the entire game), but it was never necessary. I hadn't realised before this game how effective the combination of large ground forces and a PDS is; the only counter for it is a War Sun (or X89 Bio), which are pretty far into the tech trees.

The Yin Brotherhood weren't played to their best, I felt. The Van Hauge wasn't well used, and I only saw one Impulse Core and one Indoctrination throughout the game.

The Ghosts were terrifying in space combat, but the fact that they lost an entire turn of movement was unbelievably awful (I've gotta remember that for the next time that vote comes up!). The Creuss player also forgot to upgrade the PDS on his home system which I thought was pretty daft, given the how powerful that combination can be.

The Jol'Nar were... the Jol'Nar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yin played the Tech card very well by stalling until most of the rest of the table had passed, thus denying us such valuable first-turn techs as Gravity Drive

Just to clarify, did you mean stalled until the strategy tokens were used? Even if a player has passed, you are still eligible for the secondary of any and all strategy cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Batista
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jeffwagner wrote:
Quote:
Yin played the Tech card very well by stalling until most of the rest of the table had passed, thus denying us such valuable first-turn techs as Gravity Drive

Just to clarify, did you mean stalled until the strategy tokens were used? Even if a player has passed, you are still eligible for the secondary of any and all strategy cards.

I think he meant he stalled until the tech was useless at that round. So everyone had to play the round without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great read! Really enjoyed it.

Have you added your statistics here?
Races Tier List - Ranking (help collect data!)

Takes only couple of minutes.
Thanks for considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hendry
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mAIOR wrote:
jeffwagner wrote:
Quote:

I think he meant he stalled until the tech was useless at that round. So everyone had to play the round without it.

Just so: I really wanted Gravity Drive in order to claim a system two tiles from me and the Ghosts of Creuss really wanted Sarween Tools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jeffwagner wrote:
Quote:

Well, you need to stall it until other players burn their production/TGs, so I guess that's what he meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.