Corbin Gross
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey, guys.

So I'm just starting to get in to painting these guys. I started out with some of the hoard pieces from my TMNT game and it's coming along pretty well. I'm ready to try some new stuff though.

As I paint these translucent ghost pieces, on many of them, I'm keeping some of the original translucency, 'cause I think it looks really cool. I've done some darker color washes with lighter color dry-brushing and they're turning out great.

What i'd like to try now though is washing the translucent characters with a lighter color to sort of make them look glowey. Like cracks in lava sort of. Would that work? I was thinking maybe some kind bright purple or pink, or even just white.

Can you wash with a lighter than base color? Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can, but I don't think you would get the effect you want (glowy) on translucent pieces. The paint/ink would have to have some opacity which would dull it. The best glowing pieces I've seen had LEDs inside them. That requires more modelling than a lot of people want to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Stephenson
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
Can't be of any help but wondered the same thing. Please post some pictures and description if you take this train.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Gross
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
I was thinking of an LED when I get to the angry Staypuft. I want to do the hairspray thing to have the translucent red show through the white of the character at the burnt parts. It'll just be black though with the ambient light cut by the paint, so I was thinking a little LED of some kind would be cool.

I actually have a couple of extra pieces supplied by Crypto to replace broken stuff. Maybe I'll try the lighter color on those just to see what it'll do. I'll try to post some photos when I'm done weather it works or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.