Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » VIC (Melbourne)

Subject: Any interest in a no ship Vic maths trade? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Nuske
Australia
Donvale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming we can find someone willing to run the trade program, is there any interest in a no ship maths trade and if so are there any suggestions for a timeframe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esther Joey Diamond
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yup I'm interested. It seemed to work especially well in Sydney when there was a meet-up suggested for most people to handover games. That also provides a timeline. But I guess a lot of people are doing the CanCon trade at the moment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Cancon trade has just been run, so you might not get much participation from the Melbourne folks who are in that one.

In Sydney we usually have 3 a year: Cancon (run in December, trade in January), Mar/Apr and Sept/Oct. That seems to provide a nice balanced frequency that allows people to play games they picked up in the last trade and decide what they want to trade out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if one around Easter might work? OzBunnyCon is on around then, so gives plenty of people a potential gathering point.

Although with the increase in easy sales via Facebook groups, I've found my Maths trade needs are much lower. But always happy to give them a go, when I have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammond Buckland
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always up for a maths trade if there's one going! I agree that possibly around easter could work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam P
Australia
Kew
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be potentially keen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Easter would be OK. I was thinking of a Melbourne based ultimate chain - does anyone think there are enough active users for it to work?

Explanation:
I post an item for trade. Anyone who wants it lists another item they would pass-on in return for my item. Others, in turn, list items they would give-up for one of the second generation items. This continues until a trade loop is formed (which may not loop back to me). The idea is to generate a trade chain we can close at Bunnycon.

These chains used to be popular in the USA but they never took off here because there were not enough users, and because no one wants to pay shipping.

Thoughts?

Edit: Incmpetent typing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coulston
Australia
melbourne
Vic
flag msg tools
badge
Mork
mbmbmbmbmb
I would happily join a math trade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahn
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would participate in both a Math Trade and an Ultimate Chain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimate Chain sounds intriguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Chua
Australia
Highett
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Open to both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, some warmth for an Ultimate Chain.

One thing to note is that once a game is offered for trade, each participant has to "save" that game for the chain and not sell or trade it elsewhere. Otherwise the whole thing falls over. Consequently I will only run the chain for a few weeks leading up to Bunnycon (4 weeks max). Anything more is unwieldy.

Also, a bit like a no-ship maths trade, people have to commit to get their game to the convention.

Most likely I'll do it as a geeklist, 3-4 weeks before Bunny. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions I would like to hear them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we speak in more absolute terms? I don't know when bunnycon is but if the idea is a strict timing one it's probably better to list the actual dates during planning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahn
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
OK, some warmth for an Ultimate Chain.

One thing to note is that once a game is offered for trade, each participant has to "save" that game for the chain and not sell or trade it elsewhere. Otherwise the whole thing falls over. Consequently I will only run the chain for a few weeks leading up to Bunnycon (4 weeks max). Anything more is unwieldy.

Also, a bit like a no-ship maths trade, people have to commit to get their game to the convention.

Most likely I'll do it as a geeklist, 3-4 weeks before Bunny. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions I would like to hear them.

The appeal of a Melbourne Ultimate Chain would be the lack of postage required.

Another way to run the chain would be offering items along with a couple of pick up locations. It would be the winner's responsibility to pick up the game from the chosen pickup locations. This could lead to a chain that could function all year. I would encourage people to be flexible and offer multiple pick up locations. Especially, the CBD as an option as that's a very common handover point.

Running an ultimate focusing on BunnyCon would have too much overlap with a BunnyCon maths trade if one were to happen. Reducing the effectiveness of both endeavours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keen for either option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
Can we speak in more absolute terms? I don't know when bunnycon is but if the idea is a strict timing one it's probably better to list the actual dates during planning

Ultimate Chain - provisional kickoff Sat 3 - Fri 5 March. Bunnycon (Easter) is 30/3-1/4.

If there's a MT happening I'll participate in that instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
balzi wrote:

Ultimate Chain - provisional kickoff Sat 3 - Fri 5 March. Bunnycon (Easter) is 30/3-1/4.

If there's a MT happening I'll participate in that instead.

So over that weekend, if it's going to start, it'll start then?
Sounds good.

(Rob's typo -> Monday 5th March; not Friday)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Nuske
Australia
Donvale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to join in on an ultimate chain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob's OzBunnycon-based limited time Ultimate Trade chain

An Ultimate Trade, lasting 4 weeks until OzBunnycon in Melbourne.

Open to anyone attending the convention or able to find a courier.

Seed item is Terraforming Mars

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Nuske
Australia
Donvale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the ultimate chain has gained any traction. Do we want to try and run the maths trade now as an alternative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.