Hide
11 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » General

Subject: Custom Game Pieces for Terra Mystica rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Malone
msg tools
Hi there. I'm in the process of creating custom pieces for TM and would like to gauge the interest before I go "full throttle", so let me know what you think. The pieces will be fairly intricate and high quality (the process is creating the piece initially using Apoxie Sculpt, casting in pewter using an RTV-based mold, and then finished with hand-painting). I've attached 1 shot of an Alchemist's Dwelling and 1 shot of an Alchemist's Stronghold (still obviously in progress). For an example of one of my pieces of completed work, see https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1902964/custom-stone-ag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qasida wrote:
Hi there. I'm in the process of creating custom pieces for TM and would like to gauge the interest before I go "full throttle", so let me know what you think. The pieces will be fairly intricate and high quality (the process is creating the piece initially using Apoxie Sculpt, casting in pewter using an RTV-based mold, and then finished with hand-painting). I've attached 1 shot of an Alchemist's Dwelling and 1 shot of an Alchemist's Stronghold (still obviously in progress). For an example of one of my pieces of completed work, see https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1902964/custom-stone-ag...

By "interest", do you mean interest in buying sets of them from you, or just interest in following along your process to see what you create for your own use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malone
msg tools
I'll be selling them soon on Etsy as well as pieces for other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Given that Gaia Project just came out, I'm not sure. People on BGG seem like the wooden buildings in TM over the intricate plastic buildings of GP. However, this is just a small subset of the full playing public and not every person is on BGG. Though I'm wondering how someone would find your stuff and then also not know about BGG too.

You might be better off making faction specific building replacements for Gaia Project in pewter. Obviously they can't look the same as they do in the box, but you can give them the same footprint. You'd also want to attempt to give these futuristic buildings the feeling of the faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malone
msg tools
Thanks for your detailed and helpful reply. I did read some back and forth on some folks not really happy with the pieces in Gaia so that's a good idea. To tell the truth, I started making these before I even realized that Gaia existed, but I'll definitely see what I can come up with for that game, and agree that enhancing the characteristics of the factions would probably be pretty desirable. Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You're welcome. I'd also want to have them colorized in some manner so people can tell them apart more easily than just shape. There are no planet tiles in Gaia Project except for Gaia Planets which cover purple transdimensional planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malone
msg tools
Cool - thanks for that. One thing though- I don't see any real, even summary descriptions for the factions in the Gaia manual. I'm sure it's a great game but it seems a little lame to not even tell a little about each faction...there's just the name, planet type, and game modifiers, etc. I mean I can use my imagination as well as the next person but seems like there would be more info. If you've seen any let me know if you would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have some idea on how the faction personalities should be as I was a lead play tester. There was also one post where someone wrote some backstory on the factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloring the buildings in the color of the faction (in case of Alchemists: "paint it black" ) is certainly a minimum requirement to use them in a game, as is using a design which allows for easy distinction between D, TP, TE, SH and SA (I guess distinguishing bridges will be easy ). I'm unable to do either of these two with your posted pictures, nor can I detect a connection between the buildings and what I associate with "Alchemists".

Regarding GP, the names (especially in the English edition) are just generic pronouncable consonant-vowel sequences - there is no out-of-the-game lore for them as there is in TM: everybody has some idea what Giants, Mermaids, Witches or Alchemists do. And even for TM factions without out-of-game lore, the names are telling - it's easy to connect the name to the special abilities (e.g. Swarmlings, Chaos Magicians). None of this is available in the English version of GP, as even the one faction with a familiar name (Terrans) has abilities which are in no way related to whatever lore you may connect to Terrans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malone
msg tools
Yeah these buildings are only about half-complete. You would see the connection with the finished versions, decorated with alchemy symbols (the squared circle, all that type of thing) and coloring representative of the stages of the Philosopher's Stone processing base metals ("The philosopher's stone is created by the alchemical method known as The Magnum Opus or The Great Work. Often expressed as a series of colour changes or chemical processes, the instructions for creating the philosopher's stone are varied. When expressed in colours, the work may pass through phases of nigredo, albedo, citrinitas, and rubedo."), and also the correct color of the faction (black).

Thanks for the info on the GP factions (or lack of lol) - appreciated. I should be able to make some decent design decisions still I would think, so players could enjoy having unique pieces. A few of the GP factions fall in line with some standard sci-fi influences.

Take care

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Bernardi
msg tools
mbmbmb
Beautiful! I'd prefer them uncolored.

How much would cost a serie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.