Subject: A less lucky survival game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hey guys,
After playing This War of Mine: The Board Game, I’m really itching for a good survival game... that doesn’t screw you over because of a dice roll. I hear a Robinson Crusoe is the same way. Any other recommendations? I feel like this genre has largely been untapped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

A bit off topic — how on earth do you make a survival game without significant luck in it? You’d win once and have the game solved forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sagrilarus wrote:

A bit off topic — how on earth do you make a survival game without significant luck in it? You’d win once and have the game solved forever.

I’m envisioning a hybrid between Mage knight and this war of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
qwerty qberty
msg tools
mb
I agree. This seems to be a genre largely untapped. Look at a Rubik's Cube or any other variable puzzle. Heck, you could probably even string together permutations of modular mechanics to add to the complexity and variability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Need a bit more info. Most notably :

How many players?
How heavy can the game be?
Is length an issue?
Do you want single session or are campaigns good?

Since I can't be sure of your taste without all of the above, I'll randomly offer Dead of Winter perhaps?

You can play it co-op without a traitor if you want. And while there is some dice chunking in it, I've never had a colony completely lost due to a single roll.

Sagrilarus wrote:

It depends on what you want your win ratio to be.
I believe that what he means is, don't let a *single* roll screw you over.

For example, we've had games of Kingdom Death where a single bad roll caused entire TPK.

Let's say you require X rolls before you die entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools

How many players?
Any
Is length an issue?
No
Either

I like dead of winter but do most of my gaming solo, but I really appreciate the suggestion.

Since I can't be sure of your taste without all of the above, I'll randomly offer Dead of Winter perhaps?

You can play it co-op without a traitor if you want. And while there is some dice chunking in it, I've never had a colony completely lost due to a single roll.

Sagrilarus wrote:

For example, we've had games of Kingdom Death where a single bad roll caused entire TPK.

Let's say you require X rolls before you die entirely.[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
zb1035 wrote:

How many players?
Any
Is length an issue?
No
Either

I like dead of winter but do most of my gaming solo, but I really appreciate the suggestion.

Sagrilarus wrote:

Let's say you require X rolls before you die entirely.
[/q]

I don’t like artificially hard games. This War of Mine isn’t hard, it just has mean dice. It’s completely appropriate for th game, which is brilliant, but not for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday
The Lost Expedition
The 7th Continent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unbroken!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Evenhope wrote:

I’ve actually backed 7th continent!

I think Friday is closer to the luck level I’m looking for, but it’s a bit too abstracted for me. Good suggestion though.

I’ve seen the Lost Expedition but I got the impression that it was very lucky, and not really the type of survival game I’m looking for as much as an expedition game. But I’ll look at it again.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
For what it is worth, the dice rolling in Robinson isn't as rough as This War of Mine.

In Robinson if you allocate two workers you don't have to roll a die for success. You can often mitigate bad weather rolls if you plan for it. The dilemma that I find is if I feel I have time to do these things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Perhaps you have one that takes so long to complete you never really solve or discover everything. Maybe something like The 7th Continent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
zb1035 wrote:

How many players?
Any
Is length an issue?
No
Either

You can still do Dead of Winter Solo, but yeah, I have a much better picture now.

Hmm... How about... Ghost Stories It does have some dice chucking but I believe it's managable. Also, the expansion gives you a bit more control since you can aim at gaining a particular artifact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.