Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Alexander
United States
Saline
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell me if I am right here.

1. You make an accurate pass but the receiver does not catch it. You roll scatter three times and that is where the ball comes to rest. Correct?( I understand the part of it going into another player's square, prone or not).

2. You have the ball and you are tackled. You drop the ball and roll scatter once. Correct?

3. Kick off, you pick where the ball lands, roll scatter once and then roll a D6 for how many places it bounces in that line. Correct?

4. You are pushed off the pitch with the ball. The fans throw the ball back in. Does it just scatter once from where it went out?

I understand everything that happens while the ball is bouncing and hits players of prone players. I just am confused on the initial steps to get to that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Grundmann
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1. Nope, wrong.

If the pass is accurate and the catcher doesn't catch the ball, it bounces once.

2. Correct.

3. Wrong. The ball deviates while in mid-air for D6 squares into one of the eight possible directions.

Then you roll on the kick-off table.

If nothing special happens, the ball now bounces once.

4. Reread "Throw in(s). A D3 decides the direction the ball is thrown in a 2D6 distance, if the ball is not catched it bounces once.

Regards
GeneralGrundmann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
The manual, unfortunately, uses "scatter" and "bounce" interchangeably in places. Felix's answers are all correct.

It may help to think of the ball as bouncing one square when it hits the ground, and multiple squares in the air. The exception to this is, when an inaccurate pass scatters, you roll three times on the D8 template, which are the ball's deviation while in the air. Then, if nobody's in the square, or the pass is not caught, it "bounces" one additional time on the template.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Alexander
United States
Saline
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I was way off. Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Riquelme
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:
The manual, unfortunately, uses "scatter" and "bounce" interchangeably in places. Felix's answers are all correct.

It may help to think of the ball as bouncing one square when it hits the ground, and multiple squares in the air. The exception to this is, when an inaccurate pass scatters, you roll three times on the D8 template, which are the ball's deviation while in the air. Then, if nobody's in the square, or the pass is not caught, it "bounces" one additional time on the template.

All previous answers are correct.

I made add to the above: When you rolled three times using the D8 template, no one can try to catch the ball unless is by the third roll (that's how you implement the deviation in the air)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry myself I really can't understand the kick off but maybe the french translation were wrong? It says: "the kicking team coach place the ball were he wants it to land in theory then from here ---> 1D8 for direction & 1D6 for distance then on this new place if nobody ---> another 1D8 bounce ... Isn't it right?

zombie

GG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct.

Maybe you are confused about how the ball is being handled between a kick-off (1D8/1D6 + 1D8) and an inaccurate pass (3D8) (Or a throw-in (1D8))?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No it's OK so TY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter McAndrew
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is:
Scatter is to roll a die to determine a random direction
Bounce is when the ball is dropped or lands in an empty square, which results in a single square scatter

So to clarify your questions a little more than has been posted before:
1. An accurate pass which is not caught is bounced (i.e., scatter one square). The three scatters is for an inaccurate pass (not a fumble) and is rolled before attempting to catch. If the ball is fumbled (a natural or modified 1), it is bounced from the thrower's square.

2. If your player is knocked over or the attacking player has Strip Ball and the ball carrier does not have Sure Hands, then yes. If the ball carrier stays on his feet, he does not drop the ball (unless Strip Ball is involved).

3. Kick off is that you aim somewhere (usually the centre square of the half if you don't have a player with Kick), then roll d6 and d8 to determine where it is coming down. If a player is standing in that square after the kick off table result is determined, they get to attempt to catch it. Otherwise it bounces.

4. As Felix said, but the part which isn't completely clear in the rules is that the first square you count for the 2d6 throw in is the square from which it left the pitch (as explained to me by a member of the BBRC - Blood Bowl Rules Committee).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Alexander
United States
Saline
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same type of question; if the throw is inaccurate and the reciever does not catch it, does it still bounce once from the intended destination?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MainManDetroit wrote:
Same type of question; if the throw is inaccurate and the reciever does not catch it, does it still bounce once from the intended destination?

There's no such thing as an 'inaccurate pass'. Either it is a failed pass and bounces from the thrower, or it is a completed pass but not caught and therefore bounces from the supposed receiver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thain Esh Kelch wrote:

There's no such thing as an 'inaccurate pass'. Either it is a failed pass and bounces from the thrower, or it is a completed pass but not caught and therefore bounces from the supposed receiver.

To be fair, I believe the rules do refer to an "accurate pass" on the catching table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liber Malefic
Finland
flag msg tools
Thain Esh Kelch wrote:
There's no such thing as an 'inaccurate pass'.

Sure there is, check description of the skill Throw team-mate for example: "...accurate passes are treated instead as inaccurate passes, thus scattering the thrown player three times...".

Quote:
Either it is a failed pass and bounces from the thrower, or it is a completed pass but not caught and therefore bounces from the supposed receiver.

Not exactly so. Pass and catch are two separate things with their own rules. For example, you can target an empty square with the pass if you like.

Passing:

Accurate pass (equals or beats the required roll) = lands in the target square
Inaccurate pass (lower than required roll but not 1 or less before or after modification) = scatters three times from the target square
Fumbled pass (1 or less before or after modification) = bounces once from the thrower's square

Catching:

When the ball ends up in a square with a standing player (no matter if this was because of an accurate pass, inaccurate pass, fumbled pass, scatter, bounce, throw-in, etc.) the player must try to catch the ball, and if they fail the roll, the ball bounces one square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liber Malefic
Finland
flag msg tools
crimhead wrote:
Thain Esh Kelch wrote:

To be fair, I believe the rules do refer to an "accurate pass" on the catching table.

Catch table refers to "scattered pass" instead of inaccurate pass even though they mean the same thing.

Scattered pass = inaccurate pass = pass that is not accurate but not a fumble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.