Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Fallout» Forums » General

Subject: Has anyone found a way to shorten the game and still maintain its flavor? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spudkitty

Idaho
msg tools
mbmbmb
If I'm being honest, this is a great fantastic game that just takes too long to play. Our gaming group hasn't been able to complete a game in less than 5-6 hours. Is this typical or are we just taking too much time to make decisions?

We could shorten the game by lowering the Influence requirement, but we're afraid that would keep the story pool too shallow. Part of the charm of Fallout is going deeper into the quest deck.

Any suggestions for making the game shorter, while maintaining the opportunity to uncover interesting stories and situations?

Thank you for your reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, our problem has been it feels too short! We are nowhere near that play time, not even close. Not sure how you all are taking that long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
When you complete a quest and gain a "thumbs up" symbol as a reward, are you just giving yourself one influence or are you drawing an agenda card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
England
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain, the shortest game ive had so far was a 3 player, 4 hour game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corban Caldwell
msg tools
Remember, completing some quests give you an agenda card, not just a point. Each card counts as one point and has more possibilities to gain more. Duplicates do stack. Other than that im not sure how its taking you that long either... because it has a built in timer which gets even faster the more agendas you get and the more you help a faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5-6 hours for a game does sound way longer than needed, given the relative easy/straightforward decision-making in the game i cant see how that is possible.

But anyway, a proper pc game of fallout takes 80+ hours surprise
Trying to squeeze the flavour of that in anything smaller sounds impossible or you have to go for fallout monopoly or something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spudkitty

Idaho
msg tools
mbmbmb
Good point about the video game playtime. I had over 100 hours in both Fallout 3 and 4 ... kind of puts the board game time into perspective.

Our gaming group has done two playthroughs of Fallout. We learn new things the more we play and things go a bit faster with each game. Plus, four people playing the game might slow things down ... maybe we should try it with fewer players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
When you complete a quest and gain a "thumbs up" symbol as a reward, are you just giving yourself one influence or are you drawing an agenda card?

I made this mistake for my first two solo games. I was going, "How in the hell do you get more agenda cards?!" Then noticed some had the thumbs up and went, "I'm an complete idiot."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Jackson
Australia
flag msg tools
I've found the game is finishing too quickly.

At first while learning it took a while to play the game. But as players learnt that getting the agenda cards was the priority the games are ending too quickly.

I tend to get side tracked trying to get better weapons and buying stuff or completing quests that don't produce much in the way of agendas.
Next thing I know someone has 4 cards and their faction has advanced by a couple of spots and they win.

For example in a four player game if you have 4 of the same faction influence cards and that faction are ahead on the track by 1 spot then you win the game in having 8 influence.
Or if you have 2 of each faction influence and one gets ahead by 2 spots you win.

If one or 2 players are concentrating on influence and it happens to be the same faction the other players can't afford to be distracted by leveling up or killing things, or shopping.

The PC game to me was all about the side missions and getting better stuff. The board game plays like a speed run of the main narrative.

I'm seriously thinking of not giving players a card at the start. Or even increasing the amount of influence needed by 1 or 2 points. But the danger with the later is the factions might always win first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgar67 wrote:
I've found the game is finishing too quickly.

This game is one where there are plenty of ways to waste time which does nothing but drag out the game. Hunting monsters is the worst way to spend your time and will make the game drag on forever. Going shopping to sell a few piddly items is another.

If you have a gamer where all the players are aware of the victory conditions and how to get Agenda cards, the game moves along at a pretty good pace.

We now play until faction victory and have a single winner based on total Influence points, rather than just stopping the game when someone hits 8. It only takes 4 or 5 quest completions for the game to end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.