Recommend
26 
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Top 100 Analysis January 2, 2018 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JonMichael Rasmus
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A new #1. Tell me about it.

They're giving you a number:
LW=Last week
Prime Movers
Clans of Caledonia +8 #90
Kingdom Death: Monster +5 #35

Falling Stars
[Combat Commander: Europe -4 #96]
[Steam -4 #100]

Top 100 Debuts
Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 #83
LW: Clans of Caledonia #98

Top Ten Trends
Gloomhaven +1 #1
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 -1 #2

Top 5 Winning Movers
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
Concordia
A Feast for Odin
Kingdom Death: Monster (eighth week!)
Dominion: Intrigue

New Highest Peaks
Gloomhaven #1
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition #19
Concordia #25
A Feast for Odin #31
Kingdom Death: Monster #35
Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 #83
Clans of Caledonia #90

For a review/explanation of the terms in this thread, check out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Top_100_Analysis

Welcome Clans and PL: Season 2. Gloomhaven is a new #1. It has been discussed elsewhere. I have a bunch of backlogged geeklists to put out, but have a good new year.

Have a good week.
20 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So now we have Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 in top 100. Wonder how high it will climb.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What's this game Gloomhaven? Any good?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s pretty alright. Apparently my #4 favorite game right now according to how I answered on the PubMeeple board game rating tool. I’ve not thought any of the #1s were the best game ever, but I guess that’s why it’s a community top 100 and not the BG.EXE top 100.

I will say I really like almost everything in the top100 I’ve tried though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
What's this game Gloomhaven? Any good?
No.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
skutsch wrote:
What's this game Gloomhaven? Any good?
No.


Not good. Amazing.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hail the new king!

The hotness I would love though is the fancy pants Mythic Battles: Pantheon. Do you folks think that could hit top 10 or would even have a shot of #1?

My long term prediction is Scythe will rise. Campaign mode sounds great to me in the final expansion recently announced. I wish more games had campaigns! Kinda legacy for the folks that don't do legacy?

robotsaurongoo

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radu Stanculescu
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's impressive to see Concordia still going up although it was released nearly 5 years ago.thumbsup The new edition probably helps more than the expansions. I haven't played any of the last three (if you include the forum cards mini expansion), but I do play with salt all the time, and Senate sometimes (a few people don't like it).
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
frankqb wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
skutsch wrote:
What's this game Gloomhaven? Any good?
No.


Not good. Amazing.
The lustre wore off for me around play number five. There are fripperies around the edge but at its core it's just the same hack and slash grind each time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carlcorey wrote:
It's impressive to see Concordia still going up although it was released nearly 5 years ago.thumbsup


That's true!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blackmeeple wrote:
My long term prediction is Scythe will rise. Campaign mode sounds great to me in the final expansion recently announced.


I highly doubt adding a campaign mode reverses its trending down.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carlcorey wrote:
It's impressive to see Concordia still going up although it was released nearly 5 years ago.:thumbsup: The new edition probably helps more than the expansions. I haven't played any of the last three (if you include the forum cards mini expansion), but I do play with salt all the time, and Senate sometimes (a few people don't like it).

Huh. Thanks a lot buddy for costing me $50. I didn't know there were new maps out in 2016. Don't know how I missed them!

Concordia is the best!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier X
msg tools
Genuinely curious:

Why do so many people care about BGG Rankings to the point of making detailed analyses about them (this thread isn't too detailed, but it is another thread about this topic).

Please don't tell me to 'not click if I'm not interested,' because I am not in any way trying to stop these threads, I am really curious of what people like about, or get out of, these threads.

Do the ratings, or their explanations, in some way impact your enjoyment of any given game on the list?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because data is fascinating. I recently lost all my recorded plays for 2017 and the loss of data itself hurts.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xxxavierxxx wrote:
Genuinely curious:

Why do so many people care about BGG Rankings to the point of making detailed analyses about them (this thread isn't too detailed, but it is another thread about this topic).

Please don't tell me to 'not click if I'm not interested,' because I am not in any way trying to stop these threads, I am really curious of what people like about, or get out of, these threads.

Do the ratings, or their explanations, in some way impact your enjoyment of any given game on the list?

Changes in the rankings can indicate that some games are becoming more/less popular (more popular could be an indicator of new content or new printings).

Personally, I like the games I like, and I do like to see that the games I like are also being appreciated by other people. It doesn't really influence anything, I just like that other people can also experience enjoyable things.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see KD:M keeping on rising and 7th Continent coming to a halt. Most overrated game I've ever played, wouldn't be surprised to see it fall down before long when folks come back to it and get annoyed by all its numerous flaws.

Not to say that KD:M isn't overrated and terribly flawed too, though ^^
But seeing a labour of love with a, let's say, peculiar theme rise above the common games, yeah that's great!

Eat'em all, tiger!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xxxavierxxx wrote:
Genuinely curious:

Why do so many people care about BGG Rankings to the point of making detailed analyses about them (this thread isn't too detailed, but it is another thread about this topic).

Please don't tell me to 'not click if I'm not interested,' because I am not in any way trying to stop these threads, I am really curious of what people like about, or get out of, these threads.

Do the ratings, or their explanations, in some way impact your enjoyment of any given game on the list?

You're genuinely curious? Why? Because you are a curious monkey. We are all curious monkeys. We've evolved that way. (Ok, pedents, I know we're really curious evolved apes, but "monkey" just sounds better. Funnier.)

Why do people care about ratings? Lots of reasons, but one reason is we are curious about what our fellow monkeys are doing. Curiosity about our fellow creatures is very very human. Why exactly do people like Kingdom Death: Monster so much? Why has Splendor fallen out of favor? What kinds of games are most popular on here?
Quote:

Do the ratings, or their explanations, in some way impact your enjoyment of any given game on the list?

No. That's an implied straw man. I've never seen anyone say they enjoy a game more or less because of ratings. That's be a pretty shallow way to feel (which is why when people say it, it often comes across as condescending criticism: "So, really, you enjoy games just because other people gave them good ratings? How jejune of you.")

Beyond pure curiosity, some of the ratings fuss is gang loyalty. I want my tribe to be more popular. I want tribes I dislike to be less popular. Think of the gang wars between Mac and PC users. Between Coke or Pepsi drinkers? Between those who put mayonnaise on their french fries (monsters) and those who don't (decent folk). So some folks cheer on the games they like (Go Concordia Go!!!) and boo games they dislike, or think they'd dislike (Power Grid, thy name is boredom).

Gang (game) loyalty is a little silly but generally harmless (until the switchblades get pulled out). I see someone on here say something nice about one of my favorite games (Agricola, Innovation, Polis) and I feel irrationally more well disposed towards them. I know it's silly but I still get a very tiny rush of "my tribe brother!" (or sister).
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier X
msg tools
xxxavierxxx wrote:
Do the ratings, or their explanations, in some way impact your enjoyment of any given game on the list?


skutsch wrote:
No. That's an implied straw man. I've never seen anyone say they enjoy a game more or less because of ratings. That's be a pretty shallow way to feel (which is why when people say it, it often comes across as condescending criticism: "So, really, you enjoy games just because other people gave them good ratings? How jejune of you.")


There is no straw man here. It was just a question that could be answered with 'yes' or 'no.'

Yes - the ratings of a game impact my enjoyment of the game in some way
No - the ratings of a game do not impact my enjoyment of the game in some way

Whether or not enjoying a game more or less because of ratings is shallow, is a judgement (one that you have made).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Because data is fascinating. I recently lost all my recorded plays for 2017 and the loss of data itself hurts.


Absolutely.
A love of data analysis probably seems very odd too most the population, but there’s even stat nerds who love to analyse none geeky things such as professional sports stats, so it should come as no surprise to find them in the board game field.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
xxxavierxxx wrote:
Genuinely curious:

Why do so many people care about BGG Rankings to the point of making detailed analyses about them (this thread isn't too detailed, but it is another thread about this topic).

Please don't tell me to 'not click if I'm not interested,' because I am not in any way trying to stop these threads, I am really curious of what people like about, or get out of, these threads.

Do the ratings, or their explanations, in some way impact your enjoyment of any given game on the list?

JMR has been keeping data on the rankings for something like 10+ years. It's actually pretty cool, he seems to be able to answer obscure historical ranking questions quite easily. It is interesting to me, and others, and his diligent work is well appreciated around here.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:
blackmeeple wrote:
My long term prediction is Scythe will rise. Campaign mode sounds great to me in the final expansion recently announced.


I highly doubt adding a campaign mode reverses its trending down.

I wouldn't say that Scythe has trended down. Its own geek rating has continued to trickle upward. Rather, other fast-moving games have surpassed it, so its ordinal ranking has dropped a few spots.

For comparison, Terra Mystica has seen a drop in geek rating, down from ~8.150 over the last few months. If both these trends continue, Scythe might flip spots with TM down the road.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xxxavierxxx wrote:
Do the ratings, or their explanations, in some way impact your enjoyment of any given game on the list?
No, but I often try to answer the why/how is a game so popular, especially if my opinion is orthogonal to the BGG masses. Most games leave me stumped.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like A Feast for Odin and it is good to see its gradual rise. Why its good to see is very self serving, I thing its great and its a bit like backing your favourite team or player you want more people to appreciate their greatness or your loyalty.
This is a game that from reading the comments people like more after playing it a good number of times so its initial barrier to entry has put the brakes on a little which is no bad thing as it means people are more likely to research it more before buying and so are less likely to be disappointed.
The fact it has a great solo mode which is simple and effective does it no harm either, the solo game is tighter than the 2 player game which is counter- intuitive.
Any game like Concordia that has a following and continues to rise so long after release to me is more eye-catching than one that zooms to the top.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Because data is fascinating.


This!

I don't put a ton of stock into small ranges of the rankings, but overall I find that games in the top 2 or 3 hundred are MUCH better (to me personally) than games outside that range. What's #1 or #2 doesn't really matter to me, although it's interesting to watch trends.

Plus, it's fun to see games you really enjoy climb up! I love Feast for Odin and Concordia, so I'm glad others seem to be enjoying them as well. Legacy S1 and Gloomhaven are two of my favorite games, as predictable as that seems.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Venser wrote:
xxxavierxxx wrote:
Do the ratings, or their explanations, in some way impact your enjoyment of any given game on the list?
No, but I often try to answer the why/how is a game so popular, especially if my opinion is orthogonal to the BGG masses. Most games leave me stumped.

You give Twilight Struggle a 9. That gets you street cred in my gang.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.