Hey there! Here's my experience building a gaming table with some picture and a sketch up showing the table i'm planning to have once i've done my "touch up"
This fall, I had a free week and an empty room, so i built a gaming table after seeing different model online. I knew preparation was important, that's why i just bought some wood piece to practice some dovetail join with a chisel ... i was happy with the result and just built all the table right there. While i'm happy with the overall result, i must admit some part might have been better!
First, why i choose this model :
-I felt having four standard leg would be harder to make something resistant without tools. With a pedestral, the center of the table is so easy to support
-I wanted a vault to be able to contains piece on the table, hiding the details of how the mat is holding, and having a top going on it will make it able to let a game set up while playing other games with other friends
-Having almost no tool, i'm buying all my wood prefinished at a big store, which mean it ain't cheap and I'm stuck with some precise size
The table as it is now :
I didn't had made plan for the table and i don't want to share the document i found on another website without the owner permission, so i will just post some picture of it. Anyway, i will "redo" the legs because i didn't plan accordingly and i kinda put the circular saw in it because the table was a bit to high :'(
I stained the leg with a paint brush, and i had a bad surprise. Where the 45deg. meet the other part of the leg, it look like stain got between those piece so after drying, we can see it's way darker. Also, the 45deg prove to be a challenge with my tools. The joint ain't really nice, but they are required to provide a lot more strength to the table (use dowel to glue those) ... after trying to shorten the legs, i saw the angle were not well glued up. That inspired me for the next design.
The interior of the vauld is stained. Being red oak, it is way easier to stain and i find way better than the legs ... stupid pine!
I'm really happy how the neoprene is right now. I had velour at first, but it's too "stetchy" for me, and the subfloor mat i used didn't glued well. The Neoprene is stapled underside, i'm having to vacuum it (with a soft bristle thingy). Did i say i'm really happy?
The bottom of the vault is a plywood cut in two so they are easier to manipulate. But with the neoprene, i'm not sure if it will help at all (staples every where, so i must move both piece at the same time now)
Where i'm going :
And finally, here's a sketch up file i made showing where i'm going with the table, a cut list (for the legs only) to optimize the wood. Color coded to help ! (The sketch up have several scene helping to visualize different part)
To avoid the 45deg parts where you can see the joint is not perfect, they are "inset" in the leg, helping hiding that. Also, this will give me more strength because i will be able to glue them (end grain doesn't glue, but on the side, it should hold good!)
If a part is not flush while gluing, i can always use a router with a flush bit to make it real smooth!
Well, as you can see, i'm hoping the design look complicated but with plenty of "hiding default" part
Sketch up : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cvMkrlurwwcWyp9pePHXMiZwL-...
The cut list, color coded matching the sketch up. the 1 1/2 is a 1x2 dimensionnal, and the 4 1/2 is 1x5 :
In the leaning edge (inside), i didnt put much thing to help with the strength. i felt a circular saw was not actually safe to cut several little piece, but I think it could have been good to put some wood in there (at the same time, i'm worried about the expansion of the wood)
Try square to help with the 45 and 90 cuts
Drill/drivers (i used it to put dowel at several places to help with the gluing)
A Hand saw and a Chisel because i've done some dovetails, but it's more for the visual aspect
Several Clamps to help with the gluing
Hoping it will help and inspire those who are hesistant to build a table!
And of course, for those with more experience, feel free to comment if you think my next table leg might end up a nightmare.
Oooh, and sorry for the bad english (and the french in the sketch up file)
- Last edited Wed Jan 3, 2018 11:33 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Wed Jan 3, 2018 11:31 pm
If ever you don't want to download and install sketch up to see the new design, i've been able to generate that (which is not that bad!)