1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help us add a few more games that are primarily good for 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Sinderson
msg tools
Hi,

Brand new member and "new again" to gaming after 20+ years away. My wife and I have made a resolution for 2018 to get back into gaming. It's just the two of us 90% of the time so we need games that are good for 2 players. We picked up Hive pocket edition and Forbidden Island to get us started and are really enjoying both games. We'd like to get 2-3 more games and are open to just about any style but I think we'd lean towards games that are more skill/strategy oriented over luck of the draw.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Huf
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just recently picked up Charterstone to play together. The Legacy aspect appealed since it would be a game for just us, we create the village and explore the game together. Only one game in, but so far so exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in a game that plays well at various player counts check out Viticulture Essential Edition. My wife and I play this two player quite often and it also plays well with higher player counts.

If you are enjoying Forbidden Island and are interested in a bit more challenge you should look into Pandemic, it is from the same designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you like Hive and are open to other abstracts, I think LYNGK and Onitama might both be good ones for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Banks
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back!

Pandemic is solid advice. That and Carcassonne is how I got my SO in to board games. I received Charterstone in the mail today so can't really give an opinion yet, planning to play it two player with two automas (AI-players that come with the game). I'm a HUGE fan of the designer though - Jamey Stegmaier - who also designed Viticulture that someone mentioned. Viticulture is in my SO top 3 and in my top 10 and works great with two. And all of Jameys games just look so good.

A game that is ALWAYS mentioned in these kinds of threads - but doesn't look good at all - is Castles of Burgundy. I only played it once and sold it because it was just so ugly. But it has a HUGE following.

7 Wonders Duel is a good, quick two player game. You might sometimes lose or win depending on how the cards come out, but it is a solid game and there is definitely strategy to it, with three different ways to win.

As you guys seems to enjoy coop games I have to mention both my 10/10 rated games:

Sherlock Holmes - Consulting Detective is a VERY special kind of game. In it you act the parts of Sherlocks sidekicks (kinda) and try to solve cases by following leads, reasoning and finally (hopefully) deducing who did it/what happened.

You will have a case booklet, a map of London, a directory and a newspaper. You will be presented with an introduction to the case (in the form of written dialogue between Sherlock, Watson and whoever brings the particular case) and then it is up to you to decide how to follow up on the info you are given.

Let's say (and this is something I'm making up as I go along) that you get a case where a gentleman has been killed spectacularly in the middle of the night, and you are also told that he was in debt to some criminal syndicate. And his dog killed another dog in the park a earlier the same day. That's your starting point. Which lead do you follow? Visit his mansion? Look in to the syndicate? Talk to the owner of the killed dog - who it turns out, you find in the newspaper, is a champion with a very fine lineage?

Whichever you decide, you find the place/person you want to visit by checking the directory and map. All buildings on the map have a number assigned to them which corresponds to anything from a paragraph to a couple of pages in the case booklet which you proceed to read. Doing that will (hopefully) shed new light on the issue and point you to the next person/place you need to examine/interview. Or it might totally confuse you, throw all your theories out the window and/or possibly lead you on a goose chase

The feeling when you crack one of these cases is one of the best I've ever had while playing games! Also, you are "competing" against Sherlock, so it won't do to just visit all the places. The trick is getting the job done with as few visits as possible.

As you can see I absolutely love this game, but it is not for everyone. There is a lot of note-taking, thinking and talking while figuring things out. If this sounds interesting, definitely check it out! They recently released a Jack the Ripper-themed sequel and there is a similar game with a Lovecraft theme, called Mythos Tales. According to reviews it's not as good though.

I've gone on long enough so I will just quickly mention the other of my 10/10 rated games. Mage Knight. This game is A LOT to take in so I can't recommend it this early in your comeback. But you might want to look in to it six months or a year from now. It is simply amazing! Plays both competitively and cooperatively, takes several hours to finish, and really makes you think about what you want to do and HOW to do it.

I'm really getting in to my groove here (thanks insomnia) so I'll just rattle of some games that play well with two (give a holler if you have questions and I might just write you another novel!):

Galaxy Trucker (real-time game of building and flying spaceships)

Robinson Crusoe (stranded on an island and having to survive while trying to complete one of the included scenarios)

Agricola/Caverna (similar games from the same designer - Uwe Rosenberg - about farming and raising livestock in the 1800-century/farming, raising livestock and living in caves as some kind of dwarves)

Gloomhaven (a VERY loved and interesting take on the dungeon crawl genre with a strong legacy aspect)

Now I'll let you have some rest! Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santorini
Splendor
Ticket to Ride - either USA, Europe or Nordic Countries but start with USA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. "I pity the fool" T
United States
Jefferson County (close enough)
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur
Morels
Lost Cities
BattleLine
There are quite a few good games just for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sinderson
msg tools
ablehat wrote:
My wife and I just recently picked up Charterstone to play together. The Legacy aspect appealed since it would be a game for just us, we create the village and explore the game together. Only one game in, but so far so exciting.

Thanks for the suggestion. This looks like a fun game. It's on our list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sinderson
msg tools
swmalone wrote:
If you are interested in a game that plays well at various player counts check out Viticulture Essential Edition. My wife and I play this two player quite often and it also plays well with higher player counts

Who could argue with a game based on wine! This is on the list as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Morels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dice
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Multiplayer games that are good with 2:

* Takenoko
* Kingdomino
* Sagrada

+ TTR
+ Carcassonne
+ Pandemic (or Flash Point Fire Rescue)

I have not played but I will advice you to think also about Potion Explosion and EXIT or Unlock games (Escape Rooms)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sinderson
msg tools
Ronib wrote:
Welcome back!
As you guys seems to enjoy coop games I have to mention both my 10/10 rated games:

Sherlock Holmes - Consulting Detective is a VERY special kind of game. In it you act the parts of Sherlocks sidekicks (kinda) and try to solve cases by following leads, reasoning and finally (hopefully) deducing who did it/what happened.

You will have a case booklet, a map of London, a directory and a newspaper. You will be presented with an introduction to the case (in the form of written dialogue between Sherlock, Watson and whoever brings the particular case) and then it is up to you to decide how to follow up on the info you are given.

Let's say (and this is something I'm making up as I go along) that you get a case where a gentleman has been killed spectacularly in the middle of the night, and you are also told that he was in debt to some criminal syndicate. And his dog killed another dog in the park a earlier the same day. That's your starting point. Which lead do you follow? Visit his mansion? Look in to the syndicate? Talk to the owner of the killed dog - who it turns out, you find in the newspaper, is a champion with a very fine lineage?

Whichever you decide, you find the place/person you want to visit by checking the directory and map. All buildings on the map have a number assigned to them which corresponds to anything from a paragraph to a couple of pages in the case booklet which you proceed to read. Doing that will (hopefully) shed new light on the issue and point you to the next person/place you need to examine/interview. Or it might totally confuse you, throw all your theories out the window and/or possibly lead you on a goose chase

The feeling when you crack one of these cases is one of the best I've ever had while playing games! Also, you are "competing" against Sherlock, so it won't do to just visit all the places. The trick is getting the job done with as few visits as possible.

This looks like a very fun game. There are so many versions, which one is the least expensive version that you would suggest starting out with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are enjoying Hive, I'd highly recommend checking out Santorini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Patchwork
The Castles of Burgundy
7 Wonders Duel
Pandemic

These are games that I play 2 player pretty often with my fiance, and they're all great. I think Castles of Burgundy is a really solid game, easily our favorite to play together, but I also agree that it's ugly. We've really taken a liking to Patchwork because it plays quickly and easily without being an easy game.

Pandemic is our most recent game to learn. It's an excellent game. I ordered Pandemic: Iberia for us because it's a steal online and it's designed to stand alone while delivering a full Pandemic experience -- more variety than the base game, but is incompatible with expansions.

Star Realms is a good 2 player game that might round out a collection. There's also Hero Realms if you'd rather play a fantasy version (it's got more variety but a little less balance).

Santorini is on my radar, as are Jaipur and Hive.

There are tons of great games for 2 players!!!

Edit: cleaned up the section on Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Also, if you'd like to learn a whoooole lot more about 2 player gaming, there's a guild for that: A Couple of Gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Möller
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
There are many many good ones out there. I would suggest trying to get some games with different mechanics to narrow down your interests. Watching some Rahdo videos might help as he primarily reviews games that are good for two players.

Here are some of my (and my girlfriend's) personal favorites:

Carcassonne: The Castle might not be easy to get but is out top pick for a relaxed sunday afternoon game. The normal Carcassone (or one of the Around the World versions) is a good alternative and plays with more people but this is my preferred one for two players.

Raptor appears to be a lighter and more luck bases 2-player game at first. There is a lot more to it though once you start paying better attention to what the opponent is doing and get behind the deduction element of the game. I also love the trick taking aspect of each card, where you either get to play it's effect or get action points according to who played the higher value. Every game of this I have played has been incredibly suspensful and tense. Also the miniature Raptors are adorable. Simply love this game.

Mangrovia is a gatewayish game that scales well from 2-4 players, looks very pretty in my opinion and has a brilliant action selection mechanism where each selection allows for two actions and also influences play order etc. This makes every of the few choices a very tough one.

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar is my top favorite heavy game and (although we don't get it to the table as often as some others) probaly still my favorite game altogether. It has an amazing core worker placement - cog wheel mechanism that is still fun to rotate every single time. This can be challenging for new players as you get punished if you don't have a consistent strategy but if you don't mind a challenge, make sure to check this one out.

This shall be enough for now, if required I can provide plenty more suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I want to +1 the recommendations for Carcassonne. This is primarily a multi-player game but unlike a lot of others it works really well with two. It is easy to get in to but has enough tactical depth to keep you interested. You can play with quite young children. If you want a shorter game you just leave out some tiles. As a two player game it is quite interactive, doing something to make things more difficult for your opponent is just as good as something to help yourself.

Another game that I found to be surprisingly good with only two players was Citadels (or the 2016 version Citadels). This is a hidden role game (although unlike games like Werewolf your role changes every round and the game doesn't revolve around debate) in which each player usually takes a single role. In two player (and three player) each person takes two roles. This adds the opportunity for you to take two roles that complement each other and limits the impact if one of your chosen roles gets killed or robbed).

A lot of multiplayer games that claim they support from two to four, five or six players either don't work very well with two or require some kludgy mechanism like having a dummy player that acts following a rule script. The trick is to find the ones that work really well with two. In case you don't realise you can click on the number of players data element here on BGG and see how users have voted on how the game works with various player counts. So for example, only 6% of users (who voted) think Carcassonne is not recommended with two players but 30% do not recommend Alhambra with two (it uses a dummy third player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Banks
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually only played the original game, which is simply called Sherlock Holmes - Consulting Detective. They've recently released a new edition of it called Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases, in which they've fixed some translation errors and stuff (game is originally french). Either of those is probably a good starting point It sells for about (the equivalent of) 35-40 US dollars where I'm at, so not too expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Kingdom Builder
Torres
Times Square
Samurai
The Downfall of Pompeii
Survive: Escape From Atlantis
Louis XIV
Arboretum
Factory Fun
Lords of Scotland
Pastiche
Takenoko
GIPF series games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I also play most games with my wife.

Here's a few we really enjoy.

Patchwork
Schotten Totten
Caverna: Cave vs Cave
Targi
Whitehall Mystery

We also just played through Charterstone. Great fun! There's certainly much more to keep track of as compared to the other games I listed.

If you want some slightly more complex games take a look at these that we also enjoy.

Suburbia
Agricola (Revised Edition)
Concordia

Or, just take a look at this list of games we played in 2017.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/235171/item/5857073#i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Lam
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great games already mentioned.

If you're interested in a trick taking card game, my suggestion is The Fox in the Forest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronib wrote:

A game that is ALWAYS mentioned in these kinds of threads - but doesn't look good at all - is Castles of Burgundy. I only played it once and sold it because it was just so ugly. But it has a HUGE following.

The game isn't much to look at, admittedly. And I really wasn't a big fan of the gameplay after the first few plays. But I'm really glad I held onto it, because it REALLY grew on me and is now only the SIXTH game that I rate as a 10 on BGG. I've played it almost exclusively as a 2-player game with my wife (who also loves it). I'm thinking of upgrading the dice (there are only nine of them) and getting the set if tile bags just to make the game look a little classier. If you do end up trying out this game, give it a few plays before you give up on it. You might be surprised...I know that I was!

Also, I'll give a +1 to Suburbia. This is one of my other five games that I rate a 10. If you've ever played the computer game 'SimCity', I think that Suburbia is probably the closest thing to it in a board game. I LOVE IT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sinderson
msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions, it's amazing how many games there are to choose from!

After discussing options with my wife/partner/opponent we decided to get 3 games:

Ticket to Ride
The Castles of Burgundy
and 7 Wonders Duel

I think that should keep us busy for a little while and give us an intro to a few types of games. We both agreed that Suburbia looks very interesting and it's on our "for later" list since it seems to be a fairly heavy (if that's the right term) game.

I've subscribed to this thread so I can come back and look at the other suggestions.

Thanks again to everyone for all the great suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
branden price
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love to play 7 Wonders Dual, the expansion is also very fun. it adds a nice....addition to the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
branden0502 wrote:
My wife and I love to play 7 Wonders Dual, the expansion is also very fun. it adds a nice....addition to the game

What I really like about 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon is that it provides another option for breaking the game's tempo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.