Subject: Cursed Gold ≠ Gold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrin Ball
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
My wife and I had a disagreement this afternoon. She was insistent that when playing an Encampment that she could reveal a Cursed Gold and keep the Encampment because the Cursed Gold is a type of Gold.

Encampment states: +2 Cards. +2 Actions. You may reveal a Gold or Plunder from your hand. If you do not, set this aside, and return it to the Supply at the start of Clean-up.

I told her that was probably not the intent of the card when they released Empires. We played it that you could not reveal a Cursed Gold, but she told me (and I'm an obedient husband) that I needed a clarification on this. She said (and I understand her point of view) that they (the designers) should have come up with another name entirely for Cursed Gold if they did not want it to be confused with Gold.

So, may I please have an official ruling for the sake of my marriage? If I was wrong I have much apologizing to do this evening. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cursed Gold does not count as a Gold, nor does Overgrown Estate (Dark Ages) count as an Estate for Baron (Intrigue).

I don't know if this is explicitly stated in any of the rulebooks, but when cards refer to other cards by name, they're only referring to cards whose names match *exactly*.

Here's at least words from Donald X confirming that "Overgrown Estate" does not count as "Estate":

Quote:
Baron doesn't know what to do with these [Shelters].

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3939.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
michaeljb wrote:
Cursed Gold does not count as a Gold, nor does Overgrown Estate (Dark Ages) count as an Estate for Baron (Intrigue).

I don't know if this is explicitly stated in any of the rulebooks, but when cards refer to other cards by name, they're only referring to cards whose names match *exactly*.

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you are right. When Encampment (or any card, for that matter) refers to another named card by name, it means only cards with that name (the title at the top of the card). Hence Cursed Gold is not Gold. It is Cursed Gold. It may be worth the same as Gold, but they are differently named cards thus different cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Ball
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you. Many little things to pay attention to with this new expansion. Loving it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's because you can't spell Dominion without Minion, doesn't make Minion every card in the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twl corinthian
msg tools
designer
Dumminyun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Dumbinion: Copper, Estate and Ruins are the only piles in the Supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Dumbinion: Copper, Estate and Ruins are the only piles in the Supply.
I always figured if you'd like a beginner version of Dominion with kids (probably around 5 to 8yo), you could take out the Gold and Provinces, and just use only 5 Kingdom cards. Akin to "beginner chess"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.