Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marg
United States
san francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family is on year four and noticing that the game is getting too long for us. After the first couple of plays of year three we noticed the game starting to take almost an hour. This is unfortunate as we really enjoyed the game when we only had to beat three to five villains. Note that one of the players is eight and really enjoys the game but tends to lose attention after 4 villains are defeated.

Has anyone considered ending the game after beating a set number of villains instead of all of them each time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Skemp
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tropical wrote:
Has anyone considered ending the game after beating a set number of villains instead of all of them each time?

We haven't, but that actually sounds pretty interesting. It's been a while since we've played with the expansion, but doesn't it have you play with some number of villains/monsters?

I'd be curious to hear how it goes for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Monster Box expansion operates on a similar idea in that there a lot of villains to choose from, but you randomly select only a dozen each game. You could easily run the same idea with the base game if you wanted to shorten it. Although certain villains really require time to build your deck up to defeat, so if you pulled difficult villains, this might be hard to accomplish.

There is a significant change in how the villain deck works in year five and I really don't know how to express my concerns without including some kind of spoiler. But I will be as obtuse as possible here.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a specific villain you will always put at the bottom of the deck starting in year five who is much more difficult to defeat than other villains. It might be difficult to withstand the attack if this villain comes out too soon. So you might have to consider play playing without it if you are only going to play to four.

Also, regarding year seven...

There is a new mechanic in year seven that heroes have to overcome in addition to villains. There is no way you could handle this new problem with only four villains in the deck, but I can't really explain why without giving away game strategy. Maybe you could change the game so that you only use one or two cards in this new deck instead of all of them, but you're really not playing the same game at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick V
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're looking for keeping some challenge for losing the game, you might consider cutting the number of locations down also (probably ditching the third one).

I might recommend keeping all the villains from the game you've opened, and then draw the remaining villains from those in the earlier games.

When you get to Game 7,
you'll probably need to adapt once again, as another element that can potentially expand the length of the game is introduced at that point.

[EDIT: I debated the spoiler tag, and then once I say that the previous poster who was posting when I did opted for it, I included mine in the tag as well.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Burgess
United States
Royse City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this problem as well. My youngest is 7 and starts to lose interest in any single game after a while. I haven't played HP with her yet because I am still playing through it with a group of friends. When I do though, my plan is to just "save" the game by taking pictures and keeping the decks separated. Then we can just pick it back up the next night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin von Grimmenstein
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Yeah the game length is my biggest complaint and why I don't play it more. It always starts out really fun but just seems to kind of drag on. I would love to hear of a variant to shorten it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dadvsthenerdettes wrote:
I have this problem as well. My youngest is 7 and starts to lose interest in any single game after a while. I haven't played HP with her yet because I am still playing through it with a group of friends. When I do though, my plan is to just "save" the game by taking pictures and keeping the decks separated. Then we can just pick it back up the next night.

The expansion might actually help with this indirectly. It comes with extra dividers that you could use to 'save' games in the box if you. There are small spoilers on the dividers though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ookami86 wrote:
dadvsthenerdettes wrote:

The expansion might actually help with this indirectly. It comes with extra dividers that you could use to 'save' games in the box if you. There are small spoilers on the dividers though.

didn't the original game also come with dividers?

I guess I'm not understanding how those dividers help with "saving" the game in progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has more dividers thus more ways to store cards in different places between two games, eg separating your deck into two, or the DA events into two decks, etc.

However you'd better create dividers with normal paper/cardboard and label them in the best way to store and restore your game.

This game is possible to store and restore within a reasonable time, it is not very easy neither

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmb
My kids and I have been thinking of doing a card draw before starting to essentially skip over the slow initial build up. The idea is to have an initial stack of say eighteen cards (number would require play testing), then deal six into the six hogwarts spaces. Taking in turns each player rolls a standard six sided die, adds two and can take cards to the value rolled. Then deal replacements and take it in turns until all eighteen are gone. After this play the game as usual except on locations where you would normally draw 1 dark event card you draw 2 dark events cards instead. This is to increase the difficulty to compensate for the better decks.
We haven't tried this yet but I think it should cut playing time down considerably and skip the boring part rather than the exciting part.
Any thoughts?

Edit: actually a better way to determine the number of cards for the initial draft might to multiply the number of players by five (again actual number would need play testing). This would also help with scaling balance depending on number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.