Lea Hudson
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Sorry, I do ramble!

I love miniatures. There, I said it. I'm a boardgamer first, but get excited at the idea of collecting miniatures too and am looking for recommendations for a gaming system...

However, I had a foray into the bottomless pit of buying into WH40k a long time ago and don't really want to go there again. I also started buying Axis & Allies Miniatures, only to find they vanished off the face of the Earth soon after. So, I'm twitchy about systems going the way of the Dodo or falling into the (M:TG style) trap of constantly having to buy new addons and updates just to play.

Sooooo, can anyone help please? I just came across Demonworld/Empires on the Ral Partha website, but know nothing about them. Looks interesting though. 15mm appeals me because the cost is low and they will be easy to store, but I am open to anything really.

Criteria:
Easy to play - if poss. I don't want to spend years learning
Cheap(ish) to buy - no £20 boxes with a single miniature please. GW, I'm looking at you!
Readily available - nothing too esoteric that I have to visit Peru/Outer Mongolia to get hold of.
Longevity - a system that's likely to stick around for a while yet.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Thank you kindly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you play something like Frostgrave or Song of Blades and Heroes that isn't tied to a specific line of miniatures, then you don't have to worry about a particular game dying out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lea Hudson
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't heard of either system before your reply and will have a nosey at the reviews. Thanks Marc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frostgrave is a fantastic recommendation. If you don't like wizards there's also Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago which is a bit less focused on them.

The Walking Dead: All Out War is another easy to find and quick to play game that I've had a lot of fun with recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These two have been around for quite some time now:

Freebooter's Fate
Malifaux (second edition)

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or ...

Why not look into miniature boardgames?

Those often do not have unlimited expansions coming out. They are limited in scope. And nowadays, they also have pretty nice miniatures (not the same level as tabletop games, but also not the same price point).

i.e. stuff like ...

Blood Rage / Rising Sun

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't recommend a specific system, but I will recommend you take a serious look at the scale you want to play at, by which I mean the size of your games. Some games, like 40K, require a ton of miniatures. Those take time to clean, assemble, and paint. There has been a great trend in the last few years towards skirmish games that need fewer minis. My recommendation is to find a skirmish game you like, and go for that. Say 12 models max. That gives you a chance to actually paint the models, and play some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
Staying in the realm of board gaming:

Star Wars: Imperial Assault ?

That's just $10 for a miniature!

From the pure miniatures angle - I haven't played it, but I have looked at Malifaux and it looks very interesting. Striking art style, varying rules and a low figure count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your location it would be worth your while checking out the Halifax Wargames Club.

They meet on Wednesday from about 7pm at Belgrave Social Club, 277 Claremount Rd, Halifax, HX3 6AW and play a range of Historical and Fantasy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
One of the biggest factors with miniature games is who you're planning on playing with. If you want to play at a local store with people you meet there your best bet is likely a game that already gets played there. If you're playing with friends, even if you buy units for everyone, you need to make sure at least the theme is something they'll like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lea Hudson
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you guys are awesome!! Thank you so much for the replies. This thread is going to cost me hehe

After spending a while reading up, I have ordered Song of Blades and Heroes Revised Ed and Frostgrave: Fantasy Wargames in the Frozen City books from Amazon. Both cheap and great reviews everywhere. Since doing so, I have seen all the other replies and now am going on another spending spree hehe.

I like the idea of skirmish rules because of what you've all said here. Not tied to one system, can effectively pick and choose any size miniatures and the cost is so much cheaper in the long run.

Joe, I've added Ghost Archipelago to my wishlist. If the Frostgrave book I ordered is good, I'll buy that too. Thank you. The Walking Dead one I'll have a look at this evening too.

Thanee, thank you for the suggestions. I'm really interested in the pirate theme. Malifaux is very different to anything I have played before too and looks great, especially the artwork. I already play Memoir and Battlelore, so am used to the miniatures themed games, but wanted something where the rule set allows me to buy my own miniatures

Jonathan, you're right about the scale. One of the reasons WH40k isn't really an option is because of the issue of needing lots of miniatures and that's where the cost and storage needs go through the roof, not to mention the time to paint them all! Skirmish is definitely the way to go for me. Thanks.

Tomáš, I have looked many times at the Star Wars game and it's just too expensive. The base set alone is scary expensive and it's one reason I'm avoiding Games Workshop products

Kevin, I didn't know there is gaming club nearby! Wow, that's awesome. Thank you for the suggestion. Claremount road isn't far from where I live.

C M, I live not far from a town in the UK with a great game shop (IQ Games, Huddersfield) and they have a huge number of players and resources there for people wanting to learn new games. I haven't been to play there yet, but intend to soon.

Thank you all again for taking the time to reply, I genuinely appreciate it. You've helped me with a direction to move in now and my bank account is already feeling ill at the prospect gulp

Please accept some geek gold each as a thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lealoc wrote:
Tomáš, I have looked many times at the Star Wars game and it's just too expensive. The base set alone is scary expensive and it's one reason I'm avoiding Games Workshop products

Oh yeah, I suppose it might take something like $150 to get started with Imperial Assault skirmish. I don't play the skirmish at all, I own it for the campaign game, which for me is content aplenty, but I suppose it is really only a good deal if you use it for both the campaign and skirmish.

Though is is also a nice fallback in that if you ever get tired of the miniatures side, you still have a very good other game to play with the same stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warmachine and Hordes

Warmachine is steam-driven giant robots and Hordes is giant creatures. You can play against each other with no issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lea Hudson
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After spending several hours looking at all the available figures in the UK, it's hard to find one consistent set to use unless you are a wargamer. A lot of the retailers seem to have only a few figures or boxes of one specific manufacturer (e.g. Caesar fantasy series) and it would be a real mix and match job to get a couple of sets of figures to play with - unless I'm willing to pay a LOT to get going. Historical armies are common. Fantasy and sci-fi, not quite as easy for reasonable prices.

Sooo, after a bit of thought it seems more logical to focus on the rules/game system first. I'm going to get some miniatures printed on card at Rymans to get me going (tons of pdf based freebies online). It will cost me only a few pounds to get a decent skirmish collection of orcs, wizards, goblins and the like to play with and good old ebay provided me with a couple of play mats too. Until I know what scale, whether I want fantasy or something else, metal or plastic, painted or not I want to steer clear of the actual miniatures, otherwise I will just end up with a box full of expensive figures I might never play with

Tomáš - That kind of pricing for getting started would be way beyond what I want to spend at the moment. It is a shame as I am a huge Star Wars fan too

J H, thanks for the suggestions. I had come across Hordes before and haven't ruled it out as a future buy. Warmachine, I didn't know. I used to play BattleTech a lot in my younger days and so that does appeal too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lealoc wrote:

Tomáš - That kind of pricing for getting started would be way beyond what I want to spend at the moment. It is a shame as I am a huge Star Wars fan too

I was initially just recommending it for the skirmish, but if you are a huge SW fan, enjoy tactical squad play and have at least one other SW fan with whom you can repeatedly play, I absolutely recommend getting the £80 base box of IA. There are many hours of fun in the box and if you don't mind having tokens instead of some units, you won't need to buy anything else. The main campaign is 11-15 missions, with story missions branching based on how you do and side missions being random or based on selected heroes. There are 6 heroes to choose from and a number of different abilities for the Imperial side. So you can do two campaigns almost without anything being the same. Then you can switch sides and enjoy a very different game experience.

For the record, I also thought it too expensive and only went for it when I found a used copy for €55, but having now played it, I wouldn't mind had I paid the full cost. One of the best games I ever got.

But this is now going very much off topic and I will stop, I promise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know its been said here already, but i would find a scale you like. Then you can pick one of the many mini neutral systems out there for your scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackwater Gulch is a pretty cool Wild West skirmish system - and it is multiplayer compatible.
Rules are availble for free here:
http://www.gangfightgames.com/blackwater-gulch/rules/

If you don't mind a fantasy skirmish game requiring each player to field as few as 1 miniature, I can recommend my own creation:

Whack & Slaughter is a miniature independant miniature skirmish game, means, you can play it with miniatures from whatever range you want!
In Whack & Slaughter, each player controls 1 Hero (with 3 or 4 players, 2 Heros are fine as well).
The race and class of a Hero are represented by the choice of skill you pick for him:
An Orcish berserker for example might use skills like "Flurry" or "Berserk" while the elvish archer could rather go for skills like "Dodge" or "Aimed Shot".
With a selection of 225 skills, you surely will be able to create a Hero for most if not all miniatures on the market with the Whack & Slaughter engine.

While luck is involved (you roll dice to attack/defend), skill is rewarded, as the true skill lies in creating clever designed Heroes and good working teams!

The visuals are, what you make out of it:
The rules are print and play and you can pick any miniatures and any terrain you like. Also, Whack & Slaughter is played in a 24'' x 24'' area (with 25-35 mm miniatures, that is) - so you don't need much!

Big bonus: If you ever have a question, I'll always be around to reply

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
lealoc wrote:
Wow, you guys are awesome!! Thank you so much for the replies. This thread is going to cost me hehe

After spending a while reading up, I have ordered Song of Blades and Heroes Revised Ed and Frostgrave: Fantasy Wargames in the Frozen City books from Amazon. Both cheap and great reviews everywhere. Since doing so, I have seen all the other replies and now am going on another spending spree hehe.

I think if you're going with fantasy those are probably your best two starting choices. Between them Frostgrave is a bit more complicated and, obviously, magic focused while Blades and Heroes is definitely simpler to teach and explain and has a more melee focus. Having terrain to break up the board and line of sight is very important in Frostgrave, without it whichever side is more range attack oriented will have a decisive advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another mini boardgame to look at is Earth Reborn which also has an expansion coming out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fellow miniatures collector I'm not sure what you mean by collecting.

That is, with WH40K and A&A, you're looking at purchasing proprietary miniatures from one company. But, with SoBH and Frostgrave, you're buying miniatures from a specific genre (generic fantasy).

Myself, I think with KS, miniature quality has dramatically improved, and you can find inexpensive universal game rules and roleplaying games for generic fantasy and other genres, such as western. Try not to fall into the trap of buying all the miniatures in a game line or company catalog. I get the impression that proprietary miniatures companies expect you to buy only miniatures from one faction, while companies don't expect you to collect their miniatures at all.

BTW, If you're looking for low cost and bulk miniatures, KS is the way to go. You will still be spending hundreds of dollars and will have more miniatures than you can paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better late than never, consider Gaslands. You can play with Hot Wheels cars, perhaps converted to add a weapon or two. My entire initial investment was $12 for the rule book and $6 for 6 cars. I've since gone back and added more cars, but still, at a dollar a car, it's hard to beat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wal
Germany
Walbeck
flag msg tools
Well, if you are looking for a WW2 tabletop you can try "Point Blank Game".

The rules will be available for free and you can purchase minis and models from any manufacturer as long the model is listed in their army lists and in the right scale (1/72).

THat makes the game unbeliable cheap and the variation range of the minis hughe!

You can purchase a full working army with less than 25€!

Sadly it's only in German available yet (the is looking for translators into different languages right now). The public beta is right around the corner...

English Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Pointblankgame-English-558330844533...

Webpage (German only yet … sorry):
http://pointblankgame.com/

German Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/PointBlankGameDev/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mbmb
jmw23 wrote:
Better late than never, consider Gaslands. You can play with Hot Wheels cars, perhaps converted to add a weapon or two. My entire initial investment was $12 for the rule book and $6 for 6 cars. I've since gone back and added more cars, but still, at a dollar a car, it's hard to beat!

THIS!!! I love it! My kids love it! People all over the world love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battletech Introductory Box Set Everything you need to play for 60 USD. Mechpacks with 4 mechs sell for 15 USD I think.

A new edition is coming this year.

You can download the complete ruleset for free...if you want to go further down the rabbit hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Lucký
Czech Republic
Praha 4
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you liked the WH universe, you might like Blood Bowl (2016 edition). It doesn't require a lot of miniatures and they are made by different producers, not only GW.

The game itself is mostly about risk management and tactical decisions, but if you play with team development, you need to think also about future matches...

If you want to try it for free, see http://fumbbl.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.